Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    If I don't screw up the "machining" it will be one nice and unique piece.

FT
    This is my biggest fear with these. Scared I'm gonna screw it up somehow...

Downloads
    Uploads
    In case anyone here doesn't know, BATTLE COCK does outstanding stippling if you need or want that work done. I just received my P80 frame back from him today. It looks even better in my hand than it does in the above pictures. There were functional issues too, which he resolved, and still managed to do so tastefully. Plus, I'm going to impersonate him and steal his name. When women ask me my name, I'm going to tell them....... well, you know.

Thanks B.C. If I don't screw up the "machining" it will be one nice and unique piece.

FT
    Just hop on youtube and watch MORE THAN one video on how to do it and then go slow when you do. You can always take off more material. Adding it back in is a little trickier.

Also, telling women that in some circles you are known as "Battle Cock" doesn't really work. I would know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Cock View Post
    Just hop on youtube and watch MORE THAN one video on how to do it and then go slow when you do. You can always take off more material. Adding it back in is a little trickier.

Also, telling women that in some circles you are known as "Battle Cock" doesn't really work. I would know.
    As far as the machining goes, I'll be alright. Unless I do something seriously stupid, which I have to admit, I've been guilty of before. I've got a "little" experience. No worries though, I'll be using a friend's mill, and he's a master machinist and he'll be watching over my shoulder.

As far as appropriating your name, all I can say is damn...thought I had something going for me there for a moment.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    In case anyone here doesn't know, BATTLE COCK does outstanding stippling if you need or want that work done. I just received my P80 frame back from him today. It looks even better in my hand than it does in the above pictures. There were functional issues too, which he resolved, and still managed to do so tastefully. Plus, I'm going to impersonate him and steal his name. When women ask me my name, I'm going to tell them....... well, you know.

Thanks B.C. If I don't screw up the "machining" it will be one nice and unique piece.

FT
    How that BC is working under a FFL, it would seem like it's a better idea to machine it first, check for fit/function, then send it off for stippling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    How that BC is working under a FFL, it would seem like it's a better idea to machine it first, check for fit/function, then send it off for stippling.
    Gotta put identifying marks on it like a serial number if you want to send it out for work after machining.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. It would be worth the effort to stamp a number or letter or two on the plate, and make sure you have a firearm that will function before you spend the extra money.

BTW - I've been thinking about this. Is there some legal parameters as far as choosing a serial number for a "one off" project like this? If you did a second, would they have to be consecutive, and/or would you be considered a manufacturer? I wouldn't even begin to know where to start looking for the answer to this. Thanks ahead.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 30 April 2017 at 20:34.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gotta put identifying marks on it like a serial number if you want to send it out for work after machining.
    This Polymer 80 thing sounds worse and worse.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This Polymer 80 thing sounds worse and worse.
    You don't have to register it or anything. Those marks are just so your FFL can properly log it without scrutiny.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't have to register it or anything. Those marks are just so your FFL can properly log it without scrutiny.
    My comment was obviously in jest. I'm still doing one. I've got enough Glock parts floating around for another 19 build. The Polymer80 is cheap enough to try out for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I'm sending it to an FFL for work, not transfer, I don't have to send it through an FFL, just to an FFL and back to me, unless the law has changed in the last couple of years, correct? Example: I sent a pistol to APEX tactical a couple of years ago, and I just sent it FedEx straight to them, and they sent it back to my house, no problem.

FT
    You are correct. Apex is the FFL that would need the identifying marks for their books.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are correct. Apex is the FFL that would need the identifying marks for their books.
    It can be logged without.. but it's sketchy at inspection time, although likely becoming more common. I won't take unmarked "modern" DIY guns in, for that reason. I do get repairs in of old stuff that has no SN, I just mark NA in that category.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. It would be worth the effort to stamp a number or letter or two on the plate, and make sure you have a firearm that will function before you spend the extra money.

BTW - I've been thinking about this. Is there some legal parameters as far as choosing a serial number for a "one off" project like this? If you did a second, would they have to be consecutive, and/or would you be considered a manufacturer? I wouldn't even begin to know where to start looking for the answer to this. Thanks ahead.

FT
    Nope to all. Mark whatever you want. There are restrictions in place when it comes to marking formats for licensed manufacturers, but not to individuals building a personal gun.

Mark it 1, 8, K, 007 - whatever. You are just giving it a designation to log in for an FFL or LEO - it's still weird on the logbooks because the manufacturer field gets left "NA"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Axlnut View Post
    It can be logged without.. but it's sketchy at inspection time, although likely becoming more common. I won't take unmarked "modern" DIY guns in, for that reason. I do get repairs in of old stuff that has no SN, I just mark NA in that category.
    I asked LP to pose that question to the local ATF agent at a meeting and he said their stance was that all modern private builds required ID marks to be logged at an FFL.

That might not be the hardline (in writing) nationwide but I ain't going to toe that line any more than I need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    You've seen the stippling, but have you seen this?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    You've seen the stippling, but have you seen this?

I've got one of those . Just wait till you see the work Battlecock did on my receiver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk