Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    I thought about waiting and getting one at class (It's a $140 difference to not get the kit at class and I paid $144 shipped so i'm only out $4 per kit). However, I MAY not make it this year. I do have two other classes and ammo to pay for as well. And my wife wouldn't take the the class. So I was going to need to buy her a kit anyway. Her's is in her car. I plan to transfer as much knowledge to her as I can but as I said before, if someone comes to her aid she can hand it to them or say "grab the orange pack and help me".

I am picking up at least one more TQ (maybe two) for the wife and I to play with. That was also a recommendation from previous attendees and trainers locally.

I understand your argument and position and you have valid points. Just the way I decided to do things with my limited funds and training time for the year.
    Once kids are bigger and in school I'll have more time and money.
    I know you are looking specifically at the Dark Angel medical course, however, I would also look at a TCCC course which are available more often locally.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - - Albert Einstein

Downloads
    Uploads
    I took a Dark Angel class with Sequim Shooter a couple months ago in Yakima and I can't say enough about how great the class was & how much I would recommend it to anyone .

Downloads
    Uploads
    I second (or third) getting the plastic wrap off the TQ. You can wrap a rubber band around it to keep it tight, but that's probably the one thing you'd need the quickest. Also, if Dark Angel hasn't done so already, make sure the bitter end of the strap has been laced through both portions of the buckle. They don't come that way from the factory, though several of the suppliers will lace it before you ship it. If you don't do this, it might hold, but the velcro might also slip after it starts getting wet and sticky.

As an aside, I was going through my med kit on my survival vest a few months ago just checking what was currently in there (or not) and pulled out the TQ expecting to find a CAT. I don't know what the brand is, but it's not the CAT (as I found out, because it was half the price on DoD eMall or whatever). Sad Face. I keep meaning to ask for a hook-up from a Corpsman, but fail to remember each and every time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The metal windlass on the SOF-T is a slight edge over the CAT. If you go full Ah-nuld off adrenaline, you will be less likely to snap it vs. the CAT. I dont trust the knock-offs for that reason, as almost every revision has seen the stick get bigger in circumference.

Also, prectice self-applying. A lot more than a couple of times. You might find that threading the strap back through the buckle is a disadvantage.

Forget there's a big needle in that kit. Good Samaritan laws don't stand up well if youtube is your only base. I've seen seasoned medics poke bad shit from reasons as stupid as not knowing landmarks to distorted anatomy.
    Last edited by Joelski; 23 February 2017 at 19:31.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    The metal windlass on the SOF-T is a slight edge over the CAT. If you go full Ah-nuld off adrenaline, you will be less likely to snap it vs. the CAT. I dont trust the knock-offs for that reason, as almost every revision has seen the stick get bigger in circumference.
    Yeah, the CAT Gen7 once again has reinforcements, including on the windlass. I think it's prudent to have both, as the CAT is much easier to do one-handed self-application, even if it lacks the robustness of the SOFTT-W, and can be a bit harder to apply to a leg.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice kit and an easy way to carry an IFAK. Are you trained in the use of the nasopharyngeal airway and decompression needle? The dart it a huge liability and extra expense if not.

Good info provided already about getting the CAT TQ unwrapped and properly staged for one-handed self application. As a side note, Amazon and eBay are littered with fake CAT tourniquets, so buy from a known source.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Nice kit and an easy way to carry an IFAK. Are you trained in the use of the nasopharyngeal airway and decompression needle? The dart it a huge liability and extra expense if not.

Good info provided already about getting the CAT TQ unwrapped and properly staged for one-handed self application. As a side note, Amazon and eBay are littered with fake CAT tourniquets, so buy from a known source.
    That's good to know on the fake CATs.

I did not get the needle. I did get the nasopharyngeal but won't use it and will hand it to someone should they be more qaulified.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Have you had training to use the kit? If not, I would highly suggest you seek training for it. Otherwise, it would be akin conceal carrying without any training.
    Yup. Precisely why I haven't invested in this kind of thing myself yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FWIW, I have stated before that if you're interested in saving lives as a Good Samaritan, getting CPR/AED trained and learning FAST are both very simple, and far more likely to be used.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Yup. Precisely why I haven't invested in this kind of thing myself yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    FWIW, I have stated before that if you're interested in saving lives as a Good Samaritan, getting CPR/AED trained and learning FAST are both very simple, and far more likely to be used.
    I've come to the opinion that if you're around firearms, an accessible IFAK of some type is a great idea. Even if you're safe, maybe the other guy at the range isn't and sometimes, crap happens. Of course the IFAK isn't limited to addressing gunshot injuries. Anytime I leave the house the bag-o-stuff goes in the truck and it contains, among other things, supplies primarily for bleeding control (TQ, Israeli type bandages, gauze, chest seal, shears, etc.). CPR/AED/FA are indeed training that everyone should have.