Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

how did you pick which lower to SBR?

Before creating your first SBR, what did you consider in a lower receiver?

To me, I'm considering something that is of known quality and reputable. I do not want to submit on something like a Palmetto or Anderson, although I have not ran into issues on either. I also do not want something with a big gawdy logo that may not be so "hot" 10 years from now. I also do not want something that is "fad" right now, ultra chiseled or cutout/hollowed, etc. My consideration is something like a stripped Colt, BCM, Mega, Noveske, etc. These are lowers I wouldnt normally seek just for a range blaster, but now am interested in something like them. I saw an image of a new(?) SLR lower the other day and I really liked it, although it is a little more radical than a standard Colt or BCM for example.

What kind of thoughts/concerns did you consider before purchasing a lower for SBR?

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me some considerations:

1. Milspec Lower (so it mates up well with the most variety of uppers)
    2. Roll mark you like (you'll likely be married to it for life)

Once you have a few, then you can definitely branch out to whatever you like as the last few I've done are dedicated SBR's/Suppressor Hosts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    when you say Milspec lower, you mean other than something like a billet? standard forged lowers? If so, we're in agreement in this regard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ksenter View Post
    when you say Milspec lower, you mean other than something like a billet? standard forged lowers? If so, we're in agreement in this regard.
    Yes. If I was only going to do 1 SBR lower, it would be a forged, Colt, BCM, LMT, KAC, Whatever.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Best choice: SBR all your lowers. :)
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not one to dole out advice per se but I personally went with something I knew I would like and enjoy shooting. Everything from the roll mark on to the construction and other than that it was sheer personal satisfaction.

My way of thinking was that precisely because I was going to be married to it forever it was the best thing to splurge on (and not just the lower). I also personally prefer matching sets so I will probably buy a few more stripped uppers so at a future date I can build other things like .300 BLK or a different configuration and it will all still match.

Basically my SBR is CMT with a CMC trigger, SLR rail, Aimpoint etc etc. I went full on billet so I kind of started at the top shelf stuff on the grounds that at the time I might not get another one. Naturally I was kidding myself and now I want more SBRs and everything else too so as I build out my collection I would probably do some forged ARs again with matching sets of a quality known nature. Then again I really like my billet set so depending on my financial situation I could see myself with several more nice AR's.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Billet = top shelf ???

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Billet = top shelf ???
    I'd agree with that statement. Billet cost 2-3 times the price of standard Forged lowers and usually have additional features not offered on standard forged lowers. So they would be considered top shelf since not everyone does/is willing to buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Didn't give one thought to the process other than being a decent lower. I probably broke 9 out of 10 rules, but im not a "buy a Colt" guy; that's so boring and this is evolution, not tribute.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Billet = top shelf ???
    By itself no. Not at all. Not to me at least. But I do consider CMT and the other components I used to be top shelf and pleasing to use but that's just me.

I might not have expressed myself right. I was making more of a statement about CMT (love em) but not so much just billet in general.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    I'd agree with that statement. Billet cost 2-3 times the price of standard Forged lowers and usually have additional features not offered on standard forged lowers. So they would be considered top shelf since not everyone does/is willing to buy them.

A terrible machinist can screw up any piece of metal that you give him The 'who' in the equation matters, as in who makes it and with what bells and whistles and what kind of fit and finish makes the difference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whatever you chose, I suggest you build it up as a pistol first so you can function check everything and make sure you are happy with the setup. Plus you'll have it in a usable form you can enjoy while you wait for the stamp.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I put them all in a big circle on the floor, then I stood in the middle with a blindfold on and spun around until I was good and dizzy. I went with the first one I tripped over.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Whatever you chose, I suggest you build it up as a pistol first so you can function check everything and make sure you are happy with the setup. Plus you'll have it in a usable form you can enjoy while you wait for the stamp.
    I have multiple AR's including a pistol already. Not concerned about building it as a rifle and using it with rifle uppers until the stamp arrives. Generally speaking though, good info.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I SBR'd both a high-end billet lower and a standard PSA forged lower. When I did it I was kind of new to ARs and I thought billet was super special.

Over time I've come to love the simple forged lower. The billet lower rarely comes out of the safe. They both have the same markings (I used Ident Marking, IIRC) but the forged lower is lighter, and it fits everything.

If I were to do it again I would buy a couple Aero Precision Gen 2 AR15 stripped lower receivers with the adjustable nylon inserts and build them up as pistols.

I'd probably skip the whole NFA thing and use pistol braces instead. The whole NFA thing is completely retarded and you're just buying into their schemes with your $200 tax stamps.

It could also be that I've become a curmudgeon.