Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

To pistol or not to pistol?

Since I don't have enough things going on and I am just sitting on piles of money....

I have been mulling over in my head swapping the SMOS rail out and going back to a pistol.
    I was thinking of going 14.5 but now I am thinking 10.5. Since I have nothing short and will have two 16" ARs and an 18" AR.

Anywho, mostly I have been bored sitting here thinking about it and though I'd ramble here.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Since I don't have enough things going on and I am just sitting on piles of money....

I have been mulling over in my head swapping the SMOS rail out and going back to a pistol.
    I was thinking of going 14.5 but now I am thinking 10.5. Since I have nothing short and will have two 16" ARs and an 18" AR.

Anywho, mostly I have been bored sitting here thinking about it and though I'd ramble here.
    Are you allowed to have an SBR in your state? If yes, I'd say start the form 1 and run a pistol buffer while pending approval.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    Are you allowed to have an SBR in your state? If yes, I'd say start the form 1 and run a pistol buffer while pending approval.
    I am but I'll be honest, I just don't want an SBR bad enough to pay for a Trust and an additional $200 to the gov.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am but I'll be honest, I just don't want an SBR bad enough to pay for a Trust and an additional $200 to the gov.
    Bummer. I've really come to appreciate the Vltor A5 buffer system, especially on suppressed SBRs. And I can't get that in a pistol configuration.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bummer. I've really come to appreciate the Vltor A5 buffer system, especially on suppressed SBRs. And I can't get that in a pistol configuration.
    That's a good point. Perhaps if I get into the suppressor game (which I do want to do that) perhaps I'll pony up the $200.
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    And once I started shooting SBRs a few years ago, I almost never shoot my carbines any longer. It's usually one of my two SBRs or my SPR. And every now and again, I'll pull out the carbine just to confirm the zero is still good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why can't you get an A5 in pistol configuration?

https://www.vltor.com/shop/a5-system...5-pistol-tube/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Trusts are as cheap as a new rail, Pyzik. So is the tax stamp.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Trusts are as cheap as a new rail, Pyzik. So is the tax stamp.
    Well when you have 3 ARs to build, money gets thin. 😂

I really am just not motivated that much to pay extra money to ask permission. Rubs me the wrong way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why can't you get an A5 in pistol configuration?

https://www.vltor.com/shop/a5-system...5-pistol-tube/
    Well I'll be a monkeys uncle! I did not know they were even offering such a thing. I see that they are out of stock currently. Is that a place holder on the website or have they actually sold some?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen the A5 pistol tube released for a while.

You can also use a normal A5 tube without the brace. There's no ruling I know of that says you can't shoulder a tube. There's not ruling that says you can't use a tube that can take a stock. In fact, one of my pistol lowers is set up to use a stock with the long upper and to remove stock for a short upper. As long as it wasn't designated a rifle first, you can do this.

You can also get the rifle length saber tube by BAD to use with the A5 and not use the stock attachment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well when you have 3 ARs to build, money gets thin.

I really am just not motivated that much to pay extra money to ask permission. Rubs me the wrong way.
    There's the rub.

Hopefully ATF will fulfill the rumor of canceling the brace shouldering ruling soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nothing wrong with a pistol. I used to think they were stupid and didn't make sense.... until I shot one. Then I decided they were cool.

I'm building one specifically for travel purposes, something that can fit in a smallish/medium pack and just be dropped behind a seat. Hope to get it built up next weekend.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen the A5 pistol tube released for a while.

You can also use a normal A5 tube without the brace. There's no ruling I know of that says you can't shoulder a tube. There's not ruling that says you can't use a tube that can take a stock. In fact, one of my pistol lowers is set up to use a stock with the long upper and to remove stock for a short upper. As long as it wasn't designated a rifle first, you can do this.

You can also get the rifle length saber tube by BAD to use with the A5 and not use the stock attachment.
    I honestly have not seen one for sale anywhere.

And you sort of touched on some other reasons that I've been pistol-adverse. The whole shoulder/no-shoulder thing and the once a rifle, always a rifle stuff gets confusing.