Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EMR-A

Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed it will be available with the EMR or EMR-C bundle in the same package, also with ABC/R (individual packages).

Jerry, the issue of KNS or anti-rotation screws / pins came up early on. As you can see on my test AR, I had the KNS anti-rotation pins removed, and it's been a few years. It was too much of a pain to install/remove them while I was testing trigger compatibility with selectors in my previous job.

I never put them back on even though the void leaves unpainted areas visible. Compatibility with KNS anti-rotation pins wasn't a consideration, as we deem anti-rotation pins unnecessary devices.

I believe EMR-A will work with it regardless. As posted elsewhere long ago, during the development of EMR and EMR-C, we discovered it only took 0.08" or so of mag catch travel for a typical mag to be released. You won't be able to press the EMR-A all the way, as the underside of the lever will bottom out against the pin/screw of the anti-rotation device, but pressing it all the way isn't required for the lever to lift the mag catch enough to drop the mag.
    Last edited by Duffy; 27 March 2017 at 12:39.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking good. Guess I know the solution to the 308 not being ambi. 😀

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    For 308 ARs, if you use an AR15 spec mag catch (which the EMR-A is), make sure to use a taller profile mag release button like the EMR-C.

In the old days (not sure if it's still so) Armalite shipped AR10s with a mag catch that has a longer shaft, and the thread pitch is different (can't use an AR15 spec mag button).

AR15 mag catch shaft is shorter. While standard height buttons will work, it doesn't have enough lateral protrusion to be easily reached, EMR-C with its taller profile is right about perfect for 308 ARs with AR15 spec mag catches.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    For 308 ARs, if you use an AR15 spec mag catch (which the EMR-A is), make sure to use a taller profile mag release button like the EMR-C.

In the old days (not sure if it's still so) Armalite shipped AR10s with a mag catch that has a longer shaft, and the thread pitch is different (can't use an AR15 spec mag button).

AR15 mag catch shaft is shorter. While standard height buttons will work, it doesn't have enough lateral protrusion to be easily reached, EMR-C with its taller profile is right about perfect for 308 ARs with AR15 spec mag catches.
    Great to know. Went on my notes list. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a better pic of the EMR-A with the modified lever. Remember this lever was modified from the extended lever, the ratio between the V shaped serrations and straight serrations is jacked, production lever is 80% V shaped, 20% straight.

Photo courtesy of Daniel R of Cola Warrior
    Last edited by Duffy; 27 March 2017 at 19:49.

Downloads
    Uploads
    60% extra spring rate mag catch springs are available in a package of 5 with free shipping

http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com/109...ring_p_79.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Here's a better pic of the EMR-A with the modified lever. Remember this lever was modified from the extended lever, the ratio between the V shaped serrations and straight serrations is jacked, production lever is 80% V shaped, 20% straight.

I like it! Great job Roger

Downloads
    Uploads
    These pics have bee posted only here and in a closed group on FB for now, there are other pics we'll post soon, of the extended lever, for instance, when EMR-A is closer to being released :D

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good. Gimme.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another piece of info: the roll pin is rated for 475lbs of shear strength. The EMR-A is modular, in that the lever can be removed to install a different lever by the user if desired.

Due care should be exercised though, I used my Leatherman multitool to hold the lever while grinding off 0.08" of length from the longer lever, and the teeth of the pliers made their marks on the raw 7075 aluminum lever. Production levers will be hard coat anodized and stronger.
    Last edited by Duffy; 27 March 2017 at 19:49.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So what's going on underneath, does it just pivot off the receiver? Is it based off of a fulcrum? Do you have clearance for the trigger pin or does it have to be removed to take a trigger out?
    Last edited by Stone; 27 March 2017 at 20:07.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sweet! looks forward to seeing how these turn out!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The EMR-A will need to be removed to install the hammer. With the standard lever, the hammer pin is partially masked, while the extended lever will completely cover the pin hole.

The EMR-A pivots on the receiver, which gives us freedom with the lever design. It was originally designed when Norgon's patent was still in effect. It's expired since, but I'm not going to copy and use their IP even so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe this is where someone inserts the obligatory "take my money" meme...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen LWRC's ambi mag catch, it has a hole for the trigger pin. It isn't difficult to remove the EMR-A, the procedure is the same as removing any bolt catch, 8 counter clockwise turns and out comes the mag catch.

From the beginning, the design called for distancing the EMR-A's paddle from the bolt catch's lower paddle. For the EMR-A's paddle to not interfere with the trigger pin, it'd need to be located closer to, and below the bolt catch's lower paddle, the close proximity of these two control surfaces is precisely a flaw the design wants to avoid.

We wanted the EMR-A's paddle to closely mirror the location of the mag release button on the right side. But an exact mirror location would put the EMR-A's lever below the bolt catch's lower paddle, something we don't want. The solution we reached was to leave the area immediately below the bolt catch lower paddle clean and low profile, and serrate the paddle outside of it.

The paddle has a shallow V shape for 80% of the serrated length, the remaining 20% is straight. The shallow V shaped serrations conform to the finger's curvature, the straight portion provides a natural index, and additional purchase as pressure is applied to the paddle and the finger has a tendency to pull back a bit while it's curled.

The extended lever can illustrate this well. The previous pics show a shorter lever converted from this extended lever.