There are a TON of really good photographers here on the forum but I am curious to hear people's stories about that.

What kicked your ass into forking out the money for camera gear or taking pictures? What's your story or motivation for that? How'd you get started?

Although I haven't really applied myself much to product (or particularly firearm) photography I am really into photography now.

I have been interested in photography since a long time ago. I took a class in the 7th grade and was intrigued ever since. That said I never had the money or time to devote to it until relatively recently. Plus I have a hard time drawing stick figures so I figured I wasn't very creative or artistic. I always kind of convinced myself that I'm not that artsy but photography has always been in the back of my mind and I love artwork and cool pictures and stuff. Kind of like appreciating music but not being able to play anything or sing (or so you think).

I have a number of friends that are extremely good professional photographers. I mean like big time stuff. Anyway a few years ago I did an around the world trip to a bunch of countries and I took a 7 year old point and shoot and that was it. When my friends heard that and saw my shots they pretty much dogged my ass into the ground for not taking a real camera while at the same time encouraging me a lot.

Basically I read a bunch of books about art and photography (fascinating stuff!) and eventually I had some extra cash so I went down the rabbit hole. I bought my first camera after reading reviews online. Never even saw nor handled the camera or lenses before in my life. I just ordered some expensive stuff online site unseen and it turned out to be a really great choice for me.

The rest is history. I haven't taken a lot of gun pics yet or gotten into that but who knows what the future holds.