Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

So what got you into photography?

There are a TON of really good photographers here on the forum but I am curious to hear people's stories about that.

What kicked your ass into forking out the money for camera gear or taking pictures? What's your story or motivation for that? How'd you get started?

Although I haven't really applied myself much to product (or particularly firearm) photography I am really into photography now.

I have been interested in photography since a long time ago. I took a class in the 7th grade and was intrigued ever since. That said I never had the money or time to devote to it until relatively recently. Plus I have a hard time drawing stick figures so I figured I wasn't very creative or artistic. I always kind of convinced myself that I'm not that artsy but photography has always been in the back of my mind and I love artwork and cool pictures and stuff. Kind of like appreciating music but not being able to play anything or sing (or so you think).

I have a number of friends that are extremely good professional photographers. I mean like big time stuff. Anyway a few years ago I did an around the world trip to a bunch of countries and I took a 7 year old point and shoot and that was it. When my friends heard that and saw my shots they pretty much dogged my ass into the ground for not taking a real camera while at the same time encouraging me a lot.

Basically I read a bunch of books about art and photography (fascinating stuff!) and eventually I had some extra cash so I went down the rabbit hole. I bought my first camera after reading reviews online. Never even saw nor handled the camera or lenses before in my life. I just ordered some expensive stuff online site unseen and it turned out to be a really great choice for me.

The rest is history. I haven't taken a lot of gun pics yet or gotten into that but who knows what the future holds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had wanted a "real" camera for a while. I've always taken lots of pics with a point and shoot or a phone as they got better. My mom is a photographer and I did take two semesters in Highschool. So I've always had some interest.

We were having our daughter and sounded like a great excuse to finally get a DSLR. Since the baby was here I found myself with less time (and money) to go shooting so I started taking pictures of my guns to get my "gun fix".
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think I'm in photography...I just like it as a hobby.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Trust me... you're into it

I say that because your pics are pretty awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    I had wanted a "real" camera for a while. I've always taken lots of pics with a point and shoot or a phone as they got better. My mom is a photographer and I did take two semesters in Highschool. So I've always had some interest.

We were having our daughter and sounded like a great excuse to finally get a DSLR. Since the baby was here I found myself with less time (and money) to go shooting so I started taking pictures of my guns to get my "gun fix".
    Similar to me in that you had a lingering long term interest and finally bit the bullet and took it one step further....

As for the baby thing (not that I have one myself) but my buddy has a lot of guns and we used to go shooting all the time. After he had his daughter I don't think we've been shooting in two years. He also can't leave loaded weapons stuck in the corner anymore. In fact I think he's invested in a few safety things and started storing his guns 'off site' in a storage facility. His world changed big time but that kid is awesome. I am 'uncle' and I get to babysit from time to time. She makes me laugh every time I see her.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Similar to me in that you had a lingering long term interest and finally bit the bullet and took it one step further....

As for the baby thing (not that I have one myself) but my buddy has a lot of guns and we used to go shooting all the time. After he had his daughter I don't think we've been shooting in two years. He also can't leave loaded weapons stuck in the corner anymore. In fact I think he's invested in a few safety things and started storing his guns 'off site' in a storage facility. His world changed big time but that kid is awesome. I am 'uncle' and I get to babysit from time to time. She makes me laugh every time I see her.
    World is changing here too. More safes. Guns don't even come out if the kid is around. I can't take pics whenever I want now.
    The wife just asked me today to sell my M&Ps and get ones with safeties. Wife isn't anti-gun but didn't grow up around them and she "puts up with them".

Shitty thing is all the work I have into the M&Ps. Gonna cost me to get the new ones fixed up.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Or just refuse to dump them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    World is changing here too. More safes. Guns don't even come out if the kid is around. I can't take pics whenever I want now.
    The wife just asked me today to sell my M&Ps and get ones with safeties. Wife isn't anti-gun but didn't grow up around them and she "puts up with them".

Shitty thing is all the work I have into the M&Ps. Gonna cost me to get the new ones fixed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity2006 View Post
    Or just refuse to dump them.
    I am not gonna touch that with a ten foot pole!

That said my buddy got a small/cheap offsite storage facility. $40 or $50 bucks a month will be a lot cheaper and save a lot of hassles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I blame Stickman.....

When I was in 8th grade I saved up my money and did a ton of research, and while all my friends were buying Xbox's and PS3's, I bought my first AR. I remember spending countless hours looking through Stick's gallery trying to decide which parts to get and what I wanted mine to look like and I always wondered how he got the solid black/white backgrounds. So I followed his work for a long time and was always intrigued by product photography but figured it was way over my head. Then in Fall 2015 I read a post by him on a forum about a time when a company came to him the night before Shot Show with a product they were releasing and wanted him to take photos of it. He said he didn't have much to work with so he improvised and went into the bathroom and used the top of his MacBook as a background. That is definitely what inspired me to go ahead and get started with what I had on hand. All I've been using since I started is an old Canon Rebel XTI and some shop lights from Home Depot, and I'm glad I didn't start out with nice equipment because it has definitely forced me to work harder and become more creative. I doubt I would've gotten into photography if it weren't for Stickman, so Stick, if you're reading this - thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Trust me... you're into it

I say that because your pics are pretty awesome.
    You say awesome I say needs a lot improvements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm with you, just a hobby. I don't have the time to get better at this time. I just watching the guys here get better and better, been amazing to watch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You guys crack me up. I am only a hobbiest too. But still see it as photography.

Guess I should say "I'm in to instagramming". Haha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    You guys crack me up. I am only a hobbiest too. But still see it as photography.

Guess I should say "I'm in to instagramming". Haha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    If you're taking photos with your phone but the intention is to have good light, composition, content, etc...basically anything more than just random clicks then that to me is photography. Taking mug shots all day long... probably not. Trying to create "an image" with a subject and feel?

Probably yes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You say awesome I say needs a lot improvements
    Humility. I like it LOL

Seriously though...I am no where near where I would want to be. I know people who have been shooting images 25 or 30 years or more who feel the same way as you do in regards to 'needs improvement'.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I'm with you, just a hobby. I don't have the time to get better at this time. I just watching the guys here get better and better, been amazing to watch.
    I do think you are a pretty good photographer. You definitely have a lot of subject matter to go after though in the way of product shots. (are you sure you're not a hoarder? LOL)

On a more serious note there are a number of people here (you included) who are extremely good at product photography.

I do it as a hobby too but so far I haven't gotten that into product shots just yet. That said between Stickman, you, James, Pyzik, and a whole bunch of people it has definitely piqued my interests.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I agree, time is super important to photography. Getting comfortable with your particular setup is really time consuming.

With that said, if I had an unlimited budget I'd probably end up being able to take great photos with minimal effort. Technical ability and attention to detail are the only things which require mastery. Everything else like equipment and Photoshop is going be subjective.