Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Manticore Arms, Inc. Transformer Rail

From Manticore Arm's Facebook page:

The new Transformer handguard from Manticore Arms, Inc.. Keymod or M-LOK on the same handguard. Mix and match or go with one. Freedom to choose is now yours. Really impressed with these. Super light, comfortable and well designed. Thanks to Sven and co. for solving a huge problem for AR-15 enthusiasts! Under $200, 7.4 oz. 13". 8 QD sling points. Oh, don't want the inserts? No problem, rail covers available in 2 patterns, right out of the gates.

http://www.manticorearms.com/
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    All the kiddies that complained about having to use a picatinny rail section on a keymod or m-lok rail in order to mount a picatinny based accessory will be back to pick on this. Adding an adapter plate for your direct mount accessories, etc.

Also, the forward most keymod/m-lok slots are pretty far back from the front of the rail due to the QD socket and screw for the adapter plate.

And I can't help but see those nice big flat 45 degree surfaces and wonder why there aren't keymod/m-lok adapter plates there, too!
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    And I can't help but see those nice big flat 45 degree surfaces and wonder why there aren't keymod/m-lok adapter plates there, too!
    Agreed, I am surprised that there really are not more rail options with the 45 degree surfaces on the market. I like where this rail is going though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I helped develop this rail with Manticore, specifically the panel system.

Will, some of the mount on a mount concerns have already popped up on another forum, and I feel like it misses the point of the forend. Like anything it's not the answer for everyone, but we think of it more of a chassis. We're not trying to have a "system" of our own, but more a blank slate to put others' interfaces, etc.

A solution for the angled sections was discussed and modeled, but the end profile we desired based on early feedback didn't allow it - but maybe that will change in the future, that's up to Manticore Arms.

As for the sling qds - very valid point, but... there may be an interesting option in the works to solve that.
    Answering every detailed question on the forend is for Manticore but I'll try to shed light on design philosophy where I can.
    Last edited by Axlnut; 21 September 2015 at 18:39.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do they come in red Autobot or deseptecon purple. ??
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by toolboxluis00200 View Post
    +1000000!!
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by toolboxluis00200 View Post
    Maybe with the right Cerakote colors sorted out... ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Axlnut View Post
    Maybe with the right Cerakote colors sorted out... ;-)
    That is funny
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  Transformer Keymod-MLOK1a.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  288.3 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    So what's the deal with the top of the rail? Looking at other pics online it looks like the top has no provisions for an adapter, isn't defaulted towards either keymod or m-lok, and pretty much has no way of mounting.... anything. Not even their own polymer section to protect your hand from heat.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    It has vent cuts similar to the sides above the insert sections. I think it's like most LW rails where most of the picatinny has been removed for weight savings. Probably not any different than any other LW rail out there but I have yet to install it. Plan to this week. So maybe I can see how it does with heat and my hands.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    So what's the deal with the top of the rail? Looking at other pics online it looks like the top has no provisions for an adapter, isn't defaulted towards either keymod or m-lok, and pretty much has no way of mounting.... anything. Not even their own polymer section to protect your hand from heat.
    Just very generous vents that match the ones on the angles. The top is cut about as low as it can be to lower the profile and shave weight. The cut is intended to be low enough that a IR/Vis laser/illum mounted on the rear section of pic rail should not be blocked by the users thumb if "C-clamped."

I have shot with it fairly extensively and haven't been bothered by heat any more than any other "scalloped" rail - but that's of course an individual observation.

One product I have kicked around is a mount for Surefire SR switches to mount low on top, but that's about it. I don't know if Manticore has anything else planned, but I don't think at this point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Axlnut, if you have any new products or what not, feel free to post.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ANY provision would be better than none at all. I feel like people who say they hang on to the rail bare handed while shooting just DON'T put THAT much ammo down range if they ALSO say it doesn't get too hot to handle.

I've NEVER shot with ANY metal forend on an AR that didn't get too hot to handle barehanded (and lacking covers) when any appreciable amount of ammo was shot.

DD
    BCM
    Noveske
    Troy
    Centurion

Anything more than a few mags at a moderate to rapid cadence of fire, or especially an entire afternoon shooting outdoors in the summer...

Just saying, ANY provision is better than none. The narrow width and direct mount panels, along with the trimmed height make this super attractive. Or.... it WOULD be, if Manticore's own panels would fit it.

I guess I'd have to ask this. How many people do you think will mount lasers or whatever on the back pic section, vs people who shoot bare handed? Or with a scope? Nothing is going on that back pic section if a scope is mounted.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    ANY provision would be better than none at all. I feel like people who say they hang on to the rail bare handed while shooting just DON'T put THAT much ammo down range if they ALSO say it doesn't get too hot to handle.

I've NEVER shot with ANY metal forend on an AR that didn't get too hot to handle barehanded (and lacking covers) when any appreciable amount of ammo was shot.

DD
    BCM
    Noveske
    Troy
    Centurion

Anything more than a few mags at a moderate to rapid cadence of fire, or especially an entire afternoon shooting outdoors in the summer...

Just saying, ANY provision is better than none. The narrow width and direct mount panels, along with the trimmed height make this super attractive. Or.... it WOULD be, if Manticore's own panels would fit it.

I guess I'd have to ask this. How many people do you think will mount lasers or whatever on the back pic section, vs people who shoot bare handed? Or with a scope? Nothing is going on that back pic section if a scope is mounted.
    I've done several mag dumps with the bumpfire on a couple of my uppers. My 12.5" with the fortis rev especially. mag dump after mag dump with Slippers and my rail still wasn't hot enough to make it an issue that concerned me. I'm sure our shooting styles vary tremendously but if your shooting enough to get things as hot as you are wouldn't polymer begin to have issues even with the heat guards?

Also I'm assuming not many people that have DBAL's will plan to use this rail for several reasons some you've mentioned. This seems to be one of those rails that just doesn't fit your need.

Again I haven't used this rail personally but I can't see it being as big as an issue as you are assuming it will be