Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

A variable 8x or 10x optic: USO SR-8C?

I'm potentially in the market for a variable optic that does 8x or 10x. I have specific criteria, and what usually eliminates optics is the reticle (I want a mil reticle with, optimally, .5 mil sub-tensions), and to some extent, weight. For me First Focal Plane is also a plus. Part of the equation for what I'm trying to do is also have some source of a daylight capable red dot (be it in the optic or attached to the side by a third party manufacturer). Other than mag, the MK6 1-6 solves a lot of this, but the giant donut in the middle of the reticle can potentially obscure targets. For now, the MK6 is what I'll use (since I have one), but I'm on the prowl for another option.

As of now, I have two final contenders which include another NF 2.5-10x24 with an accompanying RMR, but that quickly exceeds my initial budget. The other contender is a USO 1-8 SR-8C. I'd prefer a different reticle in the SR-8, but it's still workable.

So now the question(s)... I've read Voodooman's review, along with others. It seems like the RDS is visible on the USO scope in daylight, although I think there may be an autocorrect issue with Voodooman's review, as it makes it sound like it's not visible in bright sunlight. This matters in FL, so trying to clarify. I've only managed to hold this scope once for about 10 seconds, so trying to confirm if it truly is day-light capable.

The USO weight is also about equal to a Vortex HD2 1-6 in weight, but with a better reticle, and I've played with a Vortex a bit, so I think the weight would be manageable. I offer this just to give some perspective on where my head is.

Price-wise, the USO could potentially be less than the NF w/ RDS...unless I have USO change the reticle. Because why not? Oh right, price...

Any input?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't stand the uso sr8c because the glass (to my eyes) is sub par. Distortion and chromatic aberration are worse than a kit lens on a DSLR, for $2000 and a lot of weight.

King of the 1-8 hill right now is the Leopold cqbss, without question.

A cheaper 2.5-10 can be found in the 32mm objective version of the NF, which weighs the same as the 24mm (albeit a bit longer, but at least the eye box is more forgiving). And you can get it with the mil-r reticle for the subtensions you prefer.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's funny you say that. It seems like there are USO disciples and then everyone else. I've looked through a couple of USO optics and it's been okay, but nothing makes me understand what I hear people fawning all over. And I've been with others who have said the same thing. Then there are those that say it's top-tier (and maybe it is). Just funny to hear yet another example of how it might not be.

I didn't think the CQBSS had a red dot in it. Does it? If not, it's a no-go, as the price, even after .mil pricing puts it in the not worth it category.

As for the NF x32 optic.... I hear you, but I'm trying to make a compact system with this particular rifle system. Eye relief isn't as big a deal if I have the RDS to go with it.

Will, thanks for your thoughts. Your input lately has been valued.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The cqbss has daylight bright illumination on the tmr and mildot reticles.

Keep in mind the size and weight of these:

Cqbss is 12 inches, 23 oz.
    S8rc is 12 inches, 26 oz.
    NF 2.5-10x32 is 12 inches, 19 oz.

The NF doesn't seem like a bad choice, then. Although you would be adding the additional offset red dot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wait until shot is my .02

Downloads
    Uploads
    By SHOT 2019, I bet you see a 1-10x Strike Eagle for $300

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    Wait until shot is my .02
    I hear you. Since the SR-8 has vanished, and random postings by D4, it seems like something is afoot. The question is, will it actually exist or will it be vaporware?

Thanks, Slippers. I keep coming back to the NF...albeit the x24 for another 2-ish ounces and compactness....and additional cost.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I hear you. Since the SR-8 has vanished, and random postings by D4, it seems like something is afoot. The question is, will it actually exist or will it be vaporware?

Thanks, Slippers. I keep coming back to the NF...albeit the x24 for another 2-ish ounces and compactness....and additional cost.
    I rarely hear positive things about uso.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Any input?
    Can I ask what you are going to be putting it on (IE the intended use) type of situation/rifle? I did a lot of reading on scopes a while back. I will have to dig up some notes if I can find them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last edited by alamo5000; 16 October 2016 at 21:02.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The rifle will be essentially a mini-RECCE. And yeah, S&B is out of my budget as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JGifford
    I rarely hear positive things about uso.
    Yeah, like I said, there seems to be binary reactions. So I take it if you're recommending waiting for SHOT, you're not saying wait for a USO offering? I'm not asking you to name names, just that it's not USO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gatordev I believe he's refering to the rumored Nightforce 1-8. Rumor floating around is that it's sub 20 oz.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the USO SR-8C. Will, I'm not seeing the aberrations you mention (does not mean they don't exist). I have several Leupold scopes (a fan boy here), but the USO (again - to me) is clearer and brighter; but I have not been able to fondle the CQBSS.

Mine in a BoBro waiting for the Sig 716 CQB stamp to clear ...
    USO in BoBro Stacked 1536 by Jerry R, on Flickr
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Could be I've been unlucky and seen/used several poor samples, but I'm not the only person reporting this. Here's an m4c user with similar experiences, including some photos (and a particularly poor customer service experience, to boot): http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....91#post1974691

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the link Will. Hope I got lucky with this one (last time I got lucky, I found my car where I parked it). I used a Sig 716 to mount and level it to be sure it cleared the rear BUIS. I ran it through the power range several times and at every level - very clear and bright with zero color variations or aberrations. We'll see how it holds up under bench use - hopefully the problems noted are not recoil induced. I did some research, obviously not enough, and missed this.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"