Downloads
    Uploads

A newby reports in,, with a question of course.

Gents,
    Let me start off with: You f*cks make feel old!!!,,lol
    I carried an A1 (Amanda) and later an A2 daily, and I do mean daily, for 3 years; in what is rapidly becoming ancient history. My fair complection, and an hockey damaged knee encouraged me to find an other way to serve my counntry. So I jumped from USMC to USAF, twenty two years laterI hung up my hat(cover).
    I must comment on the profound knowledge base available here and on other boards. And on the available mods and variants in the field today. The imtimate knowledge level of some of the guys here are even above "regimental level". Dating myself.

Having said that,, I do think that I've fulfilled my obligation by "reading the whole f*ckin forum" before asking a stupid question.

So, does anyone on here have any FIRST-HAND knowledge or experience with the Knight's ambi mag release? And, how does it compair to the Norgon??
    I've done a LOT of reading on this and do NOT take mod's lightly.
    - YUP,, a lefty.
    - Word on here is that the Norgon is GTG.
    - The $20 difference in price is NOT a factor.
    - Does the Knight's ambi HAVE to use the oversized right side button?
    - Is there any advantage to the Knight's that I might be missing?
    - The Troy ambi is not an option,, don't like the pivot against the lower idea.
    - Before I buy it , I want good intel,, if it doesn't water my eyes it stays on my rifle for about 3 minutes.

At the risk of starting a "Colt war" on here,, I'll admit that this weapon does have a horse on left side of it's lower and some
    LE mumbo-jumbo below that. ( Forgive me, but as a prodigal son,, MIL SPEC is a very comfortable starting point).
    The only mod to the original rifle was to reverse the sling mount and install a BAD A.S.S. which is bad-ass. These are the kinds of mod's that we'd have killed for "back in the day".
    I'm not the high speed - low drag operator that some on here are. We didn't have them,,then. I aspired to sniper school,, made DM,, that sucked,, never tried that hard again,,,lol

I hope that counts as a worthy intro, and an honest question.
    If I don't get back to you quickly,, forgive,, the time difference can be a bitch. Thanks in advance.
    --twheel
    The MARINES are at war, America's at the mall...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome.

The Norgon catch is indeed GTG. I can't compare it to the Knights, but I put the Norgon on the Stag I gave my son (he's left-handed) and it works perfectly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by twheel View Post
    Gents,

So, does anyone on here have any FIRST-HAND knowledge or experience with the Knight's ambi mag release? And, how does it compair to the Norgon??

At the risk of starting a "Colt war" on here,, I'll admit that this weapon does have a horse on left side of it's lower and some
    LE mumbo-jumbo below that.
    --twheel
    I've used both, but do not have enough time on the KAC version to give accurate comments.

No reason why Colt wars would start on this board. Colt is the standard against which other weapons (AR15/ M16) are judged. While some people may have heavy brand loyalty, there is no argument that Colt makes a solid AR15 that is held to a very tight QC regiment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps the lack of intell,, is intell. Thanks for the replies so far.
    And, I just didn't want to come off as a "colt snob", especially on the first day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your baseline is pretty well aligned with ours, so no worries there. I'm also a southpaw with 20+ years of military service, so your concerns are both relevant and familiar.

Personally, I think the Norgon is an excellent solution, and worthy of inclusion on any stock AR. Can't directly address the Knights retrofit product, but I do have experience with a couple of "ambi" lowers -- most of which do use the Norgon. My level of confidence in the KAC would be high, but I'm not sure that it (or the new Troy unit, for example) really deliver anything that the Norgon does not. It is also worth keeping in mind here that the Norgon is now a MILSPEC item, authorized for retrofit in the the Army and in the Corps.

There is, of course, another solution: when the discussion turns to buying a new rifle, as opposed to simply modifying an existing one, KAC has delivered a best-in-class solution in the KAC SR-15E3. The E3 lower features ambidextrous controls, which is hardly without precedent, but the manner in which they are integrated is unique. Perhaps the best example of this is the left-side magazine release, which is located directly in line with the trigger finger -- something even the Norgon cannot match.

KAC is unquestionably very good kit, so I wouldn't hesitate to try one of these units out; that said, for the time being, I've standardized all of my standard lowers with the Norgon.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Chief, sound wisdom.
    My doubting of the Knights mod had nothing to do with thier rep. They won the M-110 contract,'nuf said. But try as I might I just couldn't find a head -to- head comparison. No worries. And, yes, I did take note of the Norgon being "legal" now for the Corps. Good enough for me. The pics on thier website suck as far as visualizing the function though. I dismissed the Troy mod by virtue of it hinging on the reciever, my read from the pics is that neither the Knight's or Norgon use the same lever against the reciever config.Maybe that's the question I should have asked.. So, baring any glowing reviews of the Knight's system, Norgon it is.
    The Knight's SR-15 in left handed was an excellent suggestion, but I think that this rifle is the only 5.56 I'll be owning for awhile,, my sights are now on an AR-10, left handed from the ground up. 7.62 is an awesome round, if you aren't carrying the ammo very far,,lol
    Your knowledge of the subject does come thru though,,
    Last edited by twheel; 17 September 2010 at 22:52.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I went ahead and ordered the Norgon. As usual you guys are spot-on with the intell. It's definately GTG. Thanks.
    One thing I noticed that is worthy of comment, The package came with instructions,, in ENGLISH,, ONLY!!! U gotta love that.