Downloads
    Uploads

vortex pst 2.5-10 ffp question

Was wondering if anybody has had a chance to work with one of these at close range. I am looking at an optic for my g2 recon and was wondering if you can get good both eyes open shooting with it. I have a few other options on the table so looking for some feedback if anyone has run on of these. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's probably not a 'both eyes open' kind of scope although you could probably get by with it. I haven't owned one of these yet, but it's on my short list of 'to buy' items.

First off the reticule would not be conducive to both eyes open shooting.

With .2 MOA subtensions it's probably not going to excel in the area you mention.

Secondly why do you need a 10X scope? I am not asking to be rude or question you but rather to learn about your thinking on it. What do YOU think and why would YOU think you need 10x reach?

Are you planning to shoot either for extreme precision? What about long range? If neither of these are in your bag of wants and likes there might be better options.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And don't forget that with a FFP scope your reticule will not remain a constant size. It will shrink to be pretty small at 2.5x... the pic above is what you would see at 10x.

I have handled these more than once but at 2.5 the brightness and thinness of the subtensions could cause a problem especially in non controlled environments.

On the 1-4x you can see the big bright ring... on a second focal plane scope that big bright ring adds a lot for more 'up close' kind of shooting.

I guess it all just depends on what you mean by 'up close' and what kind of shooting you really would want to partake in.

In my opinion the 2.5-10x would hold an edge in extreme accuracy shooting but not in a CQB situation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man, magnified optics with both eyes open is tough. Even with with 1-4x optics, for me it's hard to shoot with both eyes open.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Man, magnified optics with both eyes open is tough. Even with with 1-4x optics, for me it's hard to shoot with both eyes open.
    I guess it's what you were taught or get used to. My father had me leave both eyes open as a kid, and I find it makes it much easier with magnified optics. Especially at long range, where high magnification scopes tend to have really small exit pupils. There's way less eye strain (for me) if I leave both eyes open. Even when I'm just sitting around relaxed, if I try to close my left eye, I can feel my right also trying to close a little bit.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was looking for a hog/brush gun and also able to stretch out the 308 to 600 hundred yards or so when needed. I was leaning more towards a optic with a circle in it for the rapid eye acquisition, and the 1-4 vortex seems nice, I have heard nothing but good things about them. I have a real liking for the USO SR-6, I most likely will be going with that but just trying to get feed back on other options. My days of CQB are over, now it's just having fun. Thanks for the ideas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can always look over the sights and blast away. works in rooms and hallways, bout it though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I guess it's what you were taught or get used to. My father had me leave both eyes open as a kid, and I find it makes it much easier with magnified optics. Especially at long range, where high magnification scopes tend to have really small exit pupils. There's way less eye strain (for me) if I leave both eyes open. Even when I'm just sitting around relaxed, if I try to close my left eye, I can feel my right also trying to close a little bit.
    For me it's more of the eye relief. Shooting Aimpoints with unlimited eye relief, and then going to a 1-4 optics ... you realize they aren't so forgiving.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by winniedonkey View Post
    I was looking for a hog/brush gun and also able to stretch out the 308 to 600 hundred yards or so when needed. I was leaning more towards a optic with a circle in it for the rapid eye acquisition, and the 1-4 vortex seems nice, I have heard nothing but good things about them. I have a real liking for the USO SR-6, I most likely will be going with that but just trying to get feed back on other options. My days of CQB are over, now it's just having fun. Thanks for the ideas.
    When I hear hog or brush I tend to think relatively close ranges, and then stretching it out to 600 is pretty far with a 1-4. Not that it can't be done, but there will be compromises in what you select. The reticle is usually the biggest problem.

The general rule is 1x per 100 meters, so the sr6 would be much better if you intend to shoot that far quite often.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I shoot with the 1-4x and I would be very confident stretching out to 600 yards with it. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with a .308.

With my AR it's a 20 MOA holdover with a 69 grain SMK and my home rolled ammo.

With a 155 grain in a .308 will be about a 17 MOA holdover. That's very doable with a 1-4x.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    When I hear hog or brush I tend to think relatively close ranges, and then stretching it out to 600 is pretty far with a 1-4. Not that it can't be done, but there will be compromises in what you select. The reticle is usually the biggest problem.

The general rule is 1x per 100 meters, so the sr6 would be much better if you intend to shoot that far quite often.

I'm glad nobody ever told me that rule LOL!

That said a little extra reach never hurt anyone. On a .308 I think the 2.5-10x would be a pretty good choice. It would allow you to stretch the legs and allow you to get down to 50 yards or within. If I was building a .308 that would be my optic of choice... but then again I wouldn't be all that worried about both eyes open shooting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The SR6 is nice. I tried to sell it because I have another need but can not bring myself to get rid of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you ever feel like donating that SR-6 I know of a rifle who would love to become friends.