Thread: SI Bolt catch

Downloads
    Uploads

SI Bolt catch

Just installed this awesome Strike Industries bolt catch.
    Much more manipulative.
    Celebrate Schadenfreude!

No weapon formed against me shall prosper

Downloads
    Uploads
    looks like a forward controls design rip off. then again, I don't know who came up with the idea first.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinBL View Post
    looks like a forward controls design rip off. then again, I don't know who came up with the idea first.
    Thank you for that! I'd never heard of FCD til right, now I have another source for quality AR parts!
    Celebrate Schadenfreude!

No weapon formed against me shall prosper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe the SI was on the market first. I do, however, prefer the FCD part.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gents, SI came to market with its bolt catch first. While I was a partner at Battle Arms, I had already started work on a better bolt catch in May of 2009, maybe even before that. The first few concepts didn't end up getting incorporated into the ABC/R (Augmented Bolt Catch / Release), the angled top and bottom paddles, did.

Here's one of the very early concept pictures back in May of 2009.

Same reasons as ever, the production ABC/R just had different styles and execution than what was conceived and played with in 2009.

The ABC/R was designed specifically for AR users with ambi mag catches, the Norgon Ambi-Catch was the reason that started it all. You can find more info on the reasoning behind the ABC/R, and how we dealt with specific issues in the Design in Focus section of our site: http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com/ABCR_ep_44-1.html

As always, and this is something of a carry over from my Battle Arms days, we deal with more than a single issue with any product. Mission creep has a nasty way of finding its way in this method of product design, but I've learned my lesson well

In addition to the bottom paddle being easier to access by feel alone (without the user having to look at it to distinguish it from the ambi mag catch), the top paddle is also angled and enlarged a bit to make releasing the bolt easier and more intuitive.

Larger paddles = more material = more weight. Lightening cuts are incorporated into the ABC/R to keep it close to the same weight as the factory bolt catch, to avoid over tasking the bolt catch spring that may not have been designed to deal with a heavier bolt catch.

I hope to get more in stock soon. There will be two versions (for now): forged, and billet, both in 1704 stainless steel and Melonited. The third version (way down the road) is billet machined from Ti
    Last edited by Duffy; 6 July 2015 at 12:21.