Downloads
    Uploads

B.A.D. Lever Redux

A pretty good while ago, I ask for some opinions on Magpul's B.A.D. Lever. I've seen them for I don't know how long, but none of my friends were using them, and I was interested in trying one. The opinion's I got here, to be expected, were mixed, some nay, some eh!, and some really liked them.

Magpul lists them as "Theory Based products", and says they'll do everything from speed up your reloads, to cure the common cold.

They were cheap enough, so I bought one. And I played with it, and worked with it some more, and it really grew on me, so I put one on another rifle, and really grew to like them a lot.

Do they speed up my reloads? No, I don't really think so. First, I'm not going to try to "quantify" them with any data. I didn't create a spreadsheet with hundreds of data points to point to this attribute or that. I just like them, mainly because I don't have to move my hands around to release the bolt, during a mag change. No SPC program, to sell myself on them, they are just simple devices that I feel, personally, for myself, are handier than a shirt pocket.

I think (myself included) some folks have to have a great reward for their risk in trying something new. I can't point to a single selling point for the B.A.D. lever except that it's a simple handy little device, relatively inexpensive, and I like it.

Sometimes just "liking it" is good enough for me. I've got two more ordered, one for a scoped LMT that I mostly just use as a "varmit/target" rifle, where speedy reloads just don't matter, and for a new project that I've got going, and will need to go out for cerakote and camo dip with the rest of the parts that will show, for this new "uber light" I'm trying to build.

So, I don't remember how many folks hated/liked/loved these things, but like I said, sometimes just liking it is enough. Now I've got 2 Epsilon V6G brake/comp/flash hider's to try, to see if I "like them". No stat's required. Just a pot of coffee to start the morning off, and number one gets installed.

Sometimes it's just fun to try new stuff.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Amen brother new stuff is always fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info FT, i havent had the chance to try one of the bad levers, think it might be useful for me, but havent tried it yet.. Some day ill pick one up to try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the phase 5 version on my new build, I like it being one solid piece.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was one of about 5 people that got to test one of Travis Haley's prototypes that he had made up before he ever joined Magpul. I got it from him when I took his last class he taught before joining Chris at Magpul, and they met in person for the first time at that class. Ironically, at the time Travos was way prouder of the ASAP sling plate and was way more interested in giving me one of those. I saw the potential in the BAD right from the start and he was nice enough to give me one of those instead of the ASAP.

I like the levers. I CAN quantify that they not only decrease reload times but also malfunction clearances and make unloading and showing clear at the end of a stage safer due to less jazz hands. I don't mind if people don't care to comment these things, but if you're going around saying "faster" or "more accurate" or "lighter" or frankly even "better", you only sound like an idiot or a liar if you can't quantify it. Especially so given that most people are really only out to justify their purchases and are probably too scared of easily to put their precious on a timer, bullseye, or scale. Timers, Targets, and Scales are the only in gs in the shooting community that aren't lying or influenced by bias.

I've used several versions of the BAD since the original, to include pretty much every evolution of the Magpul product (a lot of people don't realize it has cintinuously changed over the years) as well as lower receivers that have integrated various aspects of the functionality directly into them. I still think that the best combination in an AR would be a FAL-type bolt catch.

The caveat is that I've seen a lot of guns that wouldn't function so the levers on them. This, too, I can verify as I've had shooters that can't get through a magazine without malfunctions, we take the lever off, and they shoot without issue the rest of the night. It got so bad that I was keeping the correct size Torx wrench in my pocket in order to keep things moving.

That said, I've never seen a factory Colt have a problem. I've seen plenty of boutique, "as-good-as", and home "built" guns have problems with them. Which isn't to say that every one of those guns have problems, only to reinforce that those not required to hold to a standard, rarely do.

I've seen a lot of people get concerned about the safety aspect of using the lever. The only answer for those people is "you're doing it wrong".
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I have the phase 5 version on my new build, I like it being one solid piece.
    I've seen those, and thought about trying one out, but as soon as my barrel gets here, I'm sending everything off for cerekote/dip and I really don't have enough time to test one to see if it's for me or not. I did like the fact that it's one piece, but maybe some other time....

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Thanks for the info FT, i havent had the chance to try one of the bad levers, think it might be useful for me, but havent tried it yet.. Some day ill pick one up to try.
    The cool thing about them is, that if after trying it, you don't like it, you're not out a bunch of money. Just keep the supplied allen/torx wrench in your pocket, and you can pop it off on the spot. If you're like me, it took a little while, but it grew on me when I got over my, and now I realize, unjustified feeling that it was going to get in the way, hang up in my shooting glove or otherwise be an obstruction, and hang me up at the worst possible time. Once I came to that conclusion, I started seeing the upside(s) to the thing. Pretty handy, in my opinion. For other folks....not so much.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im assuming it doesnt work with the seekins bolt catch, as its bigger, thicker then a stock catch?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im assuming it doesnt work with the seekins bolt catch, as its bigger, thicker then a stock catch?
    No, I don't think it would, as it "clamps" around the stock catch. I'd think you'd have to try the Phase 5, which incorporates it's own catch. Maybe someone with a Phase 5 BAD can jump in here.

FT.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have both, but not for the same reason. The MagPul version rubbed the upper receiver tube on the LWRC rifles I have. So I put the Phase 5 on them. Function is identical - they both do exactly as advertised.

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    My phase 5 has been great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ran the Troy for many, many rounds and never had an issue. I ended up taking it off when people started having the issues rob_s mentioned. I never had an issue but since it was my bedside rifle I pulled it. I went looking for it Saturday and am going to throw it on my build with the XMR to get some photos of them together and see if they make contact.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Picked up a BAD lever in trade and hope to mount it up on my lower this weekend, after the replacement bolt catch hopefully fixes my problem..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Picked up a BAD lever in trade and hope to mount it up on my lower this weekend, after the replacement bolt catch hopefully fixes my problem..
    If it works correctly, give it a few outings, before you decide whether you like it or not. Mine sort of grew on me. I didn't have the auto reaction and muscle memory to operate it without thinking about it, but that went away after, first playing with it in the house, then a few trips to the range. Then it became pretty natural, very quickly. Then again, like everything else, you might find, for your tastes, that you don't like it at all. But, it's an easy fix to just remove it and toss it in the parts box.

Good Luck,
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger