View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on Muzzle Brakes?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still don't ike them.

10 22.73%
  • My opinion about them is changing.

19 43.18%
  • I prefer to use muzzle brakes.

15 34.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Muzzle Brakes the new IN thing?

I remember up until a couple of months ago, guys used to trash muzzle brakes as being obnoxious and some some guys even indicated that they would not allow them at their range or even want to be an RO at matches for guys using them. Living in NJ, I have always had to have muzzle brakes on my personal ARs. I think I have tried every single one out there from the PRI QC, AK style, JP Tac Comp, Izzy brake, FSC556 and FSC30. I understand the negatives about the muzzle brakes such as the noise/side blast and added flash, but I always thought the advantages that the muzzle brakes provide such as the muzzle flip/recovery time was a huge advantage.

For me, when the FSC556 came out, that really started to change the perception of the muzzle brakes because you get the benefits of a muzzle brake and while they are still a little louder than most flash hiders, they are not as obnoxious as other muzzle brakes. And now with the BattleComp and the KAC Brake, they are even better.

Is anyone else looking at muzzle brakes differently, or is it just a FAD?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always liked and collected muzzle devices, some brakes are just obnoxious, but fun if you want to blast your shooting buddy's baseball cap off. I have and use them, sure they do tame the muzzle climb, but everything has a cost. When it really counts, it's a flash suppressor for me, I can do something about muzzle climb but not too much about reducing the muzzle signature without a good flash suppressor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by paulosantos View Post
    Is anyone else looking at muzzle brakes differently, or is it just a FAD?
    With some of the latest reviews covering new MB's to hit the market, it certainly has changed my view of them. If the prices could come down a bit that would probably push me over the edge towards purchasing one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With new MB's hitting the market and if the prices could come down a bit that would make me more inclined to purchase one. At this time I beleive my first choice would be the BattleComp
    What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still won't SO people with them if there's a way for me not to. The exceptions being the Triple Tap and the Battlecomp.

I do think it's a fad to some extent, and it's due in part to a shifting of who the industry celebrities are and what they are using.

I still wouldn't put one on my home defense gun, or a gun I intend to use indoors. The TT and BC may change that, but the FS556 most certainly would not. My HD gun wears a can, however, so the muzzle device is immaterial.

So I can't really answer your poll, as all three are true for me.

As an SO I Still don't like them
    In combination with other developments My opinion about them is changing.
    As a competitor and provided they are of the right design I prefer to use muzzle brakes.
    Last edited by rob_s; 4 September 2010 at 11:24.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will also add this, which is sure to annoy some people....

There are still more brakes sold to people looking to buy skill than there are to people who can actually take advantage of whatever improvement they may add. They're right up there with aftermarket triggers in this regard. To be sure, I have some shooters that can run the shit out of their guns and the brakes help them do it, but for every one of them I have another 10 or 20 that may have a brake on the end of their barrel but still need to be timed using a sundial they are so damn slow. One of the hands down best shooters we ever had, and best shooters I've ever seen, ran a stock DPMS with a Trijicon Reflex sight on it and a stock Glock 19. He was so good that if he showed up the contest was for second place. AND he was left-handed so he was at a disadvantage in manipulations.

Buy a 6920 and put an Aimpoint and BFG Victory sling on it. Shoot the hell out of it. About the time you're ready to change the barrel out, but certainly not before you've shot out the bolt, you'll be ready to start worrying about changing parts on the gun.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here in California, options are a little different. Those with pre-ban, post-ban and after- ban-whatever that means AR style rifles with various flash hiders and muzzle breaks, the private shooter and some in the LEO community uses muzzle breaks because the laws on the books are sometimes confusing. California has the "OLL", off list lower, which kinda allows you to have a pre-ban configuration but with a bullet button which locks a 10 rd magazine in place. The muzzle break is not a fad but part of a means to satisfy the needs of the state law. I see lots of weekend shooters with muzzle breaks and yes what a pain, I've seen a post ban Colt AR with no muzzle break or flas hider, very loud indeed. Having used the Rainier Arms muzzle break and currently the Battle comp, these are good examples of means to a need, demand and fix to shooters in states with restrictive gun laws.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The generation of Comps that are coming onto the market have a different goal than those of 5 years ago. I hate to use the word "Tactical", but these newer variants are giving up some of their comp abilities to kill flash, and some of them are able to do it without the horrendous side blast that we see from most open sided comps.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The generation of Comps that are coming onto the market have a different goal than those of 5 years ago. I hate to use the word "Tactical", but these newer variants are giving up some of their comp abilities to kill flash, and some of them are able to do it without the horrendous side blast that we see from most open sided comps.
    +1

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just don't like the blast, at all.

My suppressed SBR's shoot soft (Switchblock or small gas port) AND are pleasant to shoot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm working on a muzzle brake review right now. Hoping for it to be done by mid November but I am waiting on one final brake from Knight's before I do a final round of testing. At the present, I run a PWS FSC on my guns. But the brakes I have in the line up are:
    -Troy Industries: Medieval and Claymore
    -Primary Weapons System FSC 556
    -Rainier Arms Xtreme Tactical Comp
    -Battle Comp 1.0
    -Knight's Armament Triple Tap
    -Standard A2 birdcage

Very excited to get all this info in one place as I think it will be a good look at everything from a simple A2 cage and up. Like I said, hoping for about mid November but it depends on a parts arrival date. If it comes down to it being past that due to production dates I may just 2 part series the whole article.
    كافر - Infidel
    http://op4guy.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like we are working on similar projects.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Op4guy View Post
    I'm working on a muzzle brake review right now. Hoping for it to be done by mid November but I am waiting on one final brake from Knight's before I do a final round of testing. At the present, I run a PWS FSC on my guns. But the brakes I have in the line up are:
    -Troy Industries: Medieval and Claymore
    -Primary Weapons System FSC 556
    -Rainier Arms Xtreme Tactical Comp
    -Battle Comp 1.0
    -Knight's Armament Triple Tap
    -Standard A2 birdcage

Very excited to get all this info in one place as I think it will be a good look at everything from a simple A2 cage and up. Like I said, hoping for about mid November but it depends on a parts arrival date. If it comes down to it being past that due to production dates I may just 2 part series the whole article.
    I have the claymore and LOVE it. But I am the only person I know with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Looks like we are working on similar projects.
    Very cool Stick, would love to BS with you via PM sometime about it as well as some photo questions.

Quote Originally Posted by The-S View Post
    I have the claymore and LOVE it. But I am the only person I know with it.
    I really like the way the Claymore works. It's a more tactical version of the Levang and is effective.
    كافر - Infidel
    http://op4guy.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you going to be reviewing them on a 16" barrel? If so, I'll go the route of the shorty, that way we aren't duplicating things.