Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Harris Bi-Pod Recommendation

I'm seriously thinking of adding a Harris bi-pod to my LAR, using the new Arisaka low profile picatinny mount on a key-mod guard. Not quite sure what bi-pod to buy though, Harris makes so many. Considering this weapon is a lot longer and heavier than a standard AR, I'm not sure which bi-pod to use. I'm thinking that the length of the rifle would still make the 6" - 9" height the way to go, but I'm not sure about that either.

Any thoughts/recommendations you can offer?

Thanks,
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Harris HBRMS 6-9". It swivels and has leg notches for quick adjustment

I too am interested in the Arisaka picatinny mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post

Wow, that was actually the one I was looking at, I believe. Slippers from Arisaka replied to a post that I wrote about waiting for the QD version, and stated, that it's still quite a way out. So, I think I'm going to get started on this project.

FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads

Red face

I'm baffled as to why someone hasn't thought of this before. The bulky mounting alternatives for bi-pods really turned me off on them. Just my opinion/experience, but it just made for a rattle/bulky/mess. Probably have a thousand folks that would argue the other way, to everyone that feels like me, but this looks like a real fix for all of that. Especially for $49 bucks (plus price of bi-pod).

FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads

After a bunch of research that is what I purchased as well. I did end up purchasing the cheap $29.00 PRA adapter. If a QD version were available that would be awesome as the HBRMS was something I wanted to swap back and forth between AR's and my sons Savage MK II FV-SR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    After a bunch of research that is what I purchased as well. I did end up purchasing the cheap $29.00 PRA adapter. If a QD version were available that would be awesome as the HBRMS was something I wanted to swap back and forth between AR's and my sons Savage MK II FV-SR.
    I got tired of swapping and got a cheap Caldwell bipod for my .22. Granted it's not a bench rest rifle but a squirrel slayer and plinker

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm an Atlas fan myself and will probably never go back to Harris, but if I were to buy another Harris it'd be a BRM-S 6-9" with either an ADM or Larue QD mount and a KMW Pod-Loc. With those options though you're in the same ballpark pricewise as an Atlas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh S. View Post
    I'm an Atlas fan myself and will probably never go back to Harris, but if I were to buy another Harris it'd be a BRM-S 6-9" with either an ADM or Larue QD mount and a KMW Pod-Loc. With those options though you're in the same ballpark pricewise as an Atlas.
    Atlas is about $280? Harris BRMS ($105) + ADM Mount ($70); still $100 shy of an Atlas, and if you choose the Arisaka mount, you're roughly half the price of the Atlas

Harris is a quality brand and there are less expensive quality mounts that make this a very good AND economical choice. I don't mind spending money where it counts and trust me, I've dropped some cash over the years, but I can't justify an Atlas bipod for any reason

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Atlas is pretty nice, I own one, but it has such different design and use characteristics that you don't need to compare it to the Harris. My sample always annoys me with how stiff everything is, like when I want to level the rifle on uneven terrain. Even with the adjustment knob at the loosest, it requires a lot of force to cant the rifle one way or the other, which means you go too far one way, then back the other.

Price wise, no contest, especially if you consider the newer PSR Atlas.

The Harris is so simple and quick, and you can add a pod lock for under $10 with two off-the-shelf parts from McMaster. There's a reason it's still the most popular bipod on the precision rifle series by a large margin.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can find a used, like new Atlas all day long for $240-260. Every one I've ever bought/sold has been in that range besides the PSR's which run about $300 used. The reason I said they were in the same ballpark is due to the Harris/Larue LT706 combo offered by Larue which is $220. Add another $30 for the Pod Loc and you have a Harris bipod in the same price range as an Atlas, with comparable features to an Atlas, but the speed of a Harris.

Another reason why I prefer Atlas is because they hold their value and they sell very quickly. You're able to use it as much as you want, but if you ever become strapped for cash you can sell it within an hour and recoup all your money as long as you haven't abused it too badly. The same goes for used, high-end rifle scopes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This thread was originally about picking a Harris model, not an Atlas. Nobody is saying it's not a good bipod. It is kind of interesting that you are cherry picking the most expensive Harris/larue combo, then adding the most expensive (overpriced) pod lock to push it up into used Atlas territory. :)

Like I said before, McMaster gives you a pod lock for $10. A Harris swivel notched leg 6-9" is $100, or half that used. Add our pic mount for $49 or an ADM QD (at the cost of bulk and height) for $70. No where near Atlas pricing.

Plus, in the end, they are very different in function and speed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, I wasn't debating the merits of one brand vs. the other. I've had Harris bi-pods and have had excellent results with them, just not mounted on an AR platform rifle. The main thing was the mounting adapters was just a sloppy mess for me. I'm really kind of baffled that someone is just now putting this out. Wish I had thought of it.

I think that this system ($77 for mount and low profile keymod picatinny mount) will do away with the awkwardness of the mounting systems I've tried in the past, and restore my faith in the humanity of mankind.

FT... P.S. As far as Atlas goes, I've never owned or even tried one, that I can recall.
    Last edited by FortTom; 13 October 2016 at 08:36.
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tom, sorry, I was addressing Josh S. last post, wasn't implying anything towards you. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh S. View Post
    Another reason why I prefer Atlas is because they hold their value and they sell very quickly. You're able to use it as much as you want, but if you ever become strapped for cash you can sell it within an hour and recoup all your money as long as you haven't abused it too badly. The same goes for used, high-end rifle scopes.
    I'm not sure I agree about high end rifle scopes, unless it's something in demand like a NF 2.5-10x24, normally I see scopes, even high end ones either not moving or selling for much, much less than retail. You may have the pulse of the secondard market better, but I've purchased several high end scopes used and often for pennies on the dollar.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got tired of swapping and got a cheap Caldwell bipod for my .22. Granted it's not a bench rest rifle but a squirrel slayer and plinker
    Hell, I just need a tree trunk and a smile to pop a few (at least 4) squirrels. I like to hunt rabbits in the winter, very cold, to kill the fleas ant Tics. Can't imagine hunting rabbits with a bi-pod, though.
    NRA Life Member