Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bipods

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    To me this is the one alluring bit about the Harris. How fast it deploys. Sounds handy when prone-ing (proning?) out. Unless you just leave the others deployed when you think you may use it. Shoot and move kinda stuff.
    There's two kinds of "deploying," putting the legs down and then also extending the legs. I find the Harris very quick to pull the legs down, but extending the legs is much less precise. How much that matters is of course up for debate.

I will tend to leave the legs down if I know I'm going to need them in a shoot and move situation. But there can be situations where I want them up and then I'm able to pull them down quickly as needed. Obviously none of us can say how you'll use it exactly.

I will iterate, though, a stock Atlas > a stock Harris. So if you did decide to get a Harris, add some to your budget for the extra bits to make it better (ie, smaller profile).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Regarding speed I saw some competition shooters that tie the legs of their (Harris) bipods together with paracord. When you pull one down both go down. Outside of competition circles I don't know how that will be an advantage. When you have to adjust for height on one side or the other the Atlas holds its own for 'speed'.

Unless there is a really niche purpose my view is getting everything set up 'right' is more important that getting it set up a second or two faster.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Lol

I like my Harris, but played with a Atlas recently at a shop. Now I need one.
    Standard SINNER review of a product.... crap crap crap.... kinda like this one, crap, this is the one, buy once, cry once.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Unless there is a really niche purpose my view is getting everything set up 'right' is more important that getting it set up a second or two faster.
    And there's certainly nothing wrong with that mindset as it fits with one's shooting style(s). One thing that I appreciate on this site is that there's an acceptance (with one or two exceptions) that there isn't a one-size-fits-all way to shoot.

That said, a second or two faster can be a lifetime in a competition, if that is one's usage case.

I'm not an Atlas hater, so hopefully it's not coming across that way. If you're willing to spend the money, it's probably the most versatile option that is also a quality product.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Standard SINNER review of a product.... crap crap crap.... kinda like this one, crap, this is the one, buy once, cry once.
    Wish more reviews were like that. Haha It’s like the Watch Snob for firearms.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So does anyone here have side by side experience with the KAC vs. the Atlas?
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    And there's certainly nothing wrong with that mindset as it fits with one's shooting style(s). One thing that I appreciate on this site is that there's an acceptance (with one or two exceptions) that there isn't a one-size-fits-all way to shoot.

That said, a second or two faster can be a lifetime in a competition, if that is one's usage case.

I'm not an Atlas hater, so hopefully it's not coming across that way. If you're willing to spend the money, it's probably the most versatile option that is also a quality product.
    It's not coming across as hating at all. I agree 100% that rarely anything is ever one size fits all. In fact I like when more than one perspective is shared because (here especially) it shares lots of experience.

I certainly don't want to come across as giving out advice beyond my personal experiences.

At the end of the day Harris has been around forever and a whole lot of people like them. In a certain area where those speed deployments matter it would be a great choice. The difference is knowing 'why' and for what situations. If I'm not mistaken Jerry Miculek runs a Harris as do a ton of other 3 gunners.

That said getting into a good position behind an obstacle or barricade or when on uneven or sloped terrain the Atlas IMO might have an edge. PRS competition might be a place where the Atlas shines.

"Competition" is a loaded word to me because there is a lot of diversity there too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No arguments from me, alamo. All good points.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    So does anyone here have side by side experience with the KAC vs. the Atlas?
    They look so similar, I wouldn’t be surprised if KAC licenses some or all of Atlas’ design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Knight’s bipod is superior to the Atlas but it’s a significant amount more. The push buttons are more refined than the collars and the pan and tilt are on separate controls. I like the QD set up better also. If I could design a bipod from the ground up it would wind up being almost identical to the knights.

Name:  AF0D3A38-EB88-4A4E-80D4-C6566B11BC04.jpeg
Views: 231
Size:  1.78 MB

Name:  D80C0DA3-427F-4AA9-812C-F8D703887064.jpeg
Views: 189
Size:  1.95 MB

Name:  BC28B3A9-A07B-46E4-AA83-4E21A6879CBD.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  3.06 MB

I own every bipod I’ve mentioned. Gave away the Magpul though. No need for a unusable bipod.

Name:  95D8FE4F-AAFC-4F50-B6DB-0BD8A6F7DF61.jpeg
Views: 332
Size:  3.63 MB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I meant to add earlier, that when running my Harris in competitions, at least one of the legs would deploy when on a barricade. The button would go up against the vertical surface of the barricade and out shoots the leg. Annoying at times.

I haven't had leg dragging issues, although maybe I don't understand what you mean. Mine all deploy very quick.
    The inside of the frame where the leg hinges. After use/abuse (had it happen to two of them) the Outside of the leg scrapes against the inside of the housing. I’ve sanded it down to smooth it out but it eventually keeps getting worse. I’ll take a picture of it when I get home. I’ve thrown one out and put the other on my .22 rifle.

As far as the Magpul goes...I’ve used it in Precision matches for about a year now. I don’t use the pan feature, and the legs can deploy at half inch intervals but the tilt feature saves you from that time consuming bit on the clock. If you’re hunting and have time...different story (used it for both).

It doesn’t make any noise (my harris squeaks like mad...kind of sucks at 5am in the woods) you can put Atlas feet on it if you need to upgrade, and it’ll take a solid beating. The only drawback is the legs not locking at 45 or other angles. Would be a simple upgrade to their current system. I was shooting 1000yds this past weekend with it and then stacking shots on 3” circles at 500yds. If its no good for shooting, I guess I’m not doing that kind of shooting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    The inside of the frame where the leg hinges. After use/abuse (had it happen to two of them) the Outside of the leg scrapes against the inside of the housing. I’ve sanded it down to smooth it out but it eventually keeps getting worse. I’ll take a picture of it when I get home. I’ve thrown one out and put the other on my .22 rifle.
    Now you have me curious about mine. I'm out of town right now, so can't look, but none of my Harrisessess are stock, so portions of the body are missing. I don't know if enough is missing to prevent what you're describing, so I'll have to look when I get home.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ll take a photo of the actual drag marks when I get to the bipod but it happens where the leg swings Open/Closed and contacts the housing here

One side is worse than the other. And I think this is actually the one I threw out it got so bad. I’ve got the shorter one on my .22 squirrel gun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright guys, thanks for all the thoughts and insight. I’m on the notification list a few places now for the KAC.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    What bipods can mount directly to an M-LOK or KeyMod handguard? Magpul mounts to M-LOK. Anything else? It's 2020, I shouldn't have to mount a pic rail or sling stud to a KeyMod or M-LOK handguard just to use a bipod.