Downloads
    Uploads

Magnified rds and poi shift and the new Aimpoint T2...my experiences...

I have so far had 3 other people look through my T2 and G33 combo. Everyone wonders...is the t2 really a crisp dot or not? 1 person said it was like 2 dots on top of each other. Myself and the other 2 see a crisp dot. Defined edges. To be fair to the guy who didn't see this...he did not adjust the diopter. It may well have been an issue of diopter. But to me once it's dialed in, I saw a very crisp dot!

So how does it do in the real world? Well, I stuck to 50 yards because that is the limit at which with my vision I can shoot the same groups roughly magnified or unmagnified. My first test was for POI shift from unmagnified (group on the left) to magnified (group on the right). I used RA556B for this test. 5 show groups.

Next was my question of...does the dot have to be centered in the g33? What if the adjustment knobs get messed with after I zero? So I fired 3 rounds with the dot centered. 3 rounds with the magnifier adjusted so that the dot was in the extreme bottom left and 3/4 of the sigh picture was shadowed. Then did the same with the dot in the upper right. 9 shots total at 50 yards. I used mk262 IMI. Please excuse my flier. I am not Molon, and this is a chrome lined .gov 16" barrel.

As you can see...poi shift seems nonexistent. I am very pleased with the added capabilities that the g33 brings to the t2. Total weight with mounts is roughly 17oz.

Oh...and here is my Internet commando group of the day. 3 shots ra556b unmagnified at 50y. Ignore the one flier...

Quirks...

When magnified in the right light you can see the diode housing faintly around the dot if you dial illumination a couple settings higher than necessary. It's a quirk but a non issue.

The bobro absolute cw spacer is too low for the g33 without riser. The lower 1/3 bobro is perfect as pictured.

Having a suppressed m4 on a public range gets me more attention that driving a c6 z06 did. If you want to be popular...

The magnifier didn't much improve my groups if any at 50, but it was very useful for making those shots easily. I had to work without it.

I think the adjustable diopter is mandatory for a clear dot. This made the g33 my choice over the Aimpoint model.

"Bloom" around the dot is much more noticeable with the G33 in place. Dot intensity matters more than unmagnified but it won't hurt ability to engage. It just isn't picture perfect. There is some halo/Starburst around the still crisp and defined dot. This is evident only to me at night, or in very overcast weather. It will not interfere with shot placement or PID, but it's something to be aware of. This is not an etched reticle, it's still a "ball of light".

It looks like at 50 yards with a rds my ddm4 is a 1 moa gun with mk262 and a 2 moa gun with ra556b. Not shabby!

*All shots off a concrete bench using the magazine as a monopod. DDM4 built by Daniel Defense, 16.1" CHF Chrome lined barrel, with Surefire 556-212 suppressor in place, using 212a muzzle device. Geissele SSA trigger. Target squares are true 1".
    Last edited by JGifford; 2 April 2015 at 22:29.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice write up. I have found DD barrels to be the perfect blend of accuracy and durability. They are sub-moa capable with very little effort.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very good report, thanks JGifford. I was expecting to see the setup on an AU Mod 2.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good writeup, thanks. I may be missing it, but can you provide the make/model of the various parts and pieces you're using (i.e. mounts, magnifier).
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Very good report, thanks JGifford. I was expecting to see the setup on an AU Mod 2.
    I'm t&e'ing it in plans to put it on mine. Still a couple months out.

I'm using a g33 magnifier from L3. No spacer. Aimpoint t2 in a bobro lower 1/3 cw mount.

Yep, love my dd barrels!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Enjoyed the write-up. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Took the combo back out to the range today. On white paper, I can see bullet holes at 50 yards from my 5.56. I really REALLY like this setup! Light, durable as hell, etc. etc.

Anyway, here is my "group of the day". 5 shots magnified at 100 yards using the magazine as a monopod from the shooting bench. Hornady 5.56 (redbox) 55gr GMX.

I did not have to work hard at all for that group. Maybe a shot ever 3-4 seconds for most, 5-6 seconds at the longest, I guess. Zeroed for 50, I was hitting a touch high.