Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Magpul PMAGS vs Metal Mags

I have a OK stash of PMAGS, nothing too UWone77 crazy, but over time I would like to add to the essentials.

With that said what are your thoughts on mixing it up with some metal mags and if so, what are the best ones and why?

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gen 3 mags are pretty much the best PMAG, I've broken plenty of Gen 1's and 2's, so I won't stock those more than what I already have. Too many broken feed lips.

In fact Lancer mags are my go-to.

D&H, NHMTG, OKAY Industries, Brownells, all Good to go as far as Metal Mags go. Surefeed as well.

I'd just go with the best deal you can find.

Downloads
    Uploads
    best deal...+1

If I can get a 30rnd mag under $8.50 I usually buy it (especially in bulk)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Gen 3 mags are pretty much the best PMAG, I've broken plenty of Gen 1's and 2's, so I won't stock those more than what I already have. Too many broken feed lips.

In fact Lancer mags are my go-to.

D&H, NHMTG, OKAY Industries, Brownells, all Good to go as far as Metal Mags go. Surefeed as well.

I'd just go with the best deal you can find.
    I have a stack of Gen 3 pmags. That's all I have. Most are still in the package or rather box. I have to see how many I have but I want to get some more 20 round mags too for prone shooting.

Like I said when money rolls around and deals are to be had I want to have my essentials stacked deep.

I don't have a problem with magpul mags at all. I'm just wanting to be ready for when I have money and see a good deal. I can get a different flavor of vanilla in 20 and 30 round varieties.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don’t have enough of either...lol

I don’t have many gen 3 mags, mostly gen 2 and a handful of lancers. I have broken 1 pang, well rather the feed lip, but that was a gen 1.

I don’t have many metal mags, seems as the ones I do, the std follower and spring gotta get replaced with Magpul ones. I’d like to add a bunch of metal ones.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The box I have is about 16" x 24" long and about a foot deep. It's full. Not sure how many mags they put in one of those. All in the package Gen3. I should be ok for a while but I want a lot more 20 round mags as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like PMags simply because they don’t scratch the heck out of the brass for reloading like USGI mags do

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m with ya on needing more 20’s

Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I like PMags simply because they don’t scratch the heck out of the brass for reloading like USGI mags do
    +1

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    This is vital information for me. Thanks!

I have no reason to deviate from PMags or go metal other than just to say I did, but I would be interested in trying out something new. That said marring up brass since I am all about reloading is definitely a big deal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've also had trouble with distorted lips and rear seams on Gen 2 PMags. There's a reason they discontinued the FDE version early, they were even less durable.

PMag20 and Pmag30 Gen 3, no issues so far. I also usually prefer the 20 rounders for general use with some 30 round versions for the chest rigs. If it were legal in Colorado, I would probably add to the stock :::looks side to side:::

Metal mags, limited use compared to the PMags but haven't had any real problems with any of them I've tried yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have put tens of thousands of rounds through mainly USGI mags (Colt/Center/Okay etc) and then PMags (Gen 1-3). I’ve seen basically every type of failure imaginable. Feed lips on USGI mags can usually be bent back into shape whereas polymer mags are done when they’re done.

I’ve had six FDE Gen 2 20’s since 2012 or so and I still have them. They aren’t used hard, mainly they go hunting with me or get toted around the farm in a rifle or back pocket. So far so good

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm like voodoo, when I catch PMAG's on sale, I usually buy another 10 or twenty. I really don't know how many I have now, but it's a bunch. Have about 20 metal mags, that I changed followers in. My 6.8 SPC mags are all metal from Barrett's. I do need to catch a good sale on .308 mags. I've never had any Lancer, but I thought UW was a Magpul "worshiper".

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I'm like voodoo, when I catch PMAG's on sale, I usually buy another 10 or twenty. I really don't know how many I have now, but it's a bunch. Have about 20 metal mags, that I changed followers in. My 6.8 SPC mags are all metal from Barrett's. I do need to catch a good sale on .308 mags. I've never had any Lancer, but I thought UW was a Magpul "worshiper".

FT
    I like Magpul Stocks, CTR, STR, ACS, UBR to some extent, and MOE grips usually make it on my guns, but other than that, I have no loyalties to Magpul.

Downloads
    Uploads
    +1 to needing more 308 mags..

...the lancer ones look good but cost about double

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wish to heck they'd still offer the Gen 1 UBR!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!