Downloads
    Uploads

Carbon Fiber forend?

I've been eyeballing the new Troy Revolution forend for quite some tome now. The Troy Alpha has long been a favorite of mine, and the Revolution appears to be a slightly more slender, sleeker version of the Alpha, but with an octagonal profile and made of carbon fiber.
    Here's what is showing on Troy's page.

Honestly the big appeal to me with the Alpha was not the weight or profile (as it weighed about the same as an NSR and I prefered the NSR's more slender profile) but rather... the ability to use squid grip. Having a preference for a particular forend due to a type of covers/paneling/hand protection/whatever may sound absurd, but those funny looking little rubber things give me outstanding purchase on the rifle, are comfortable, and protect me from heat.

Anyways, here's the thing. Do I dare use a carbon fiber forend on a hard use gun? I know carbon fiber is supposed to be stronger than many types of metal, but how well would it REALLY take a hard blow? Aluminum can bend, ding, get messed up and still be functional, but when carbon fiber fails, it tends to fail catastrophically. I googled the hell out of this looking for answers and found lots of people comparing them with mountain bikes, golf clubs, and what not, but really nothing actually helpful. The only single instance of failure I could find was when a PRI got busted in the sandbox. That was it.

The Revolution looks closer to the profile of the NSR in both shape and width, both of which I liked, AND would allow me to use squid grip all while weighing less. So... I really like the idea of this. I'm just leery.

What do y'all think?
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    How about the Lancer one?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UpperDeck95 View Post
    How about the Lancer one?
    When they first came out I got to fibgerbang one. Very light.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know where the carbon fiber fabric and design specific resin comes from for these.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Lancer.

Not as light as one thinks, based on weighing it on the scale with the mounting hardware. not as insular as I would have thought, as I've heated the tube up to the point that it's uncomfortable to hold.

Given those two things, I couldn't come up with a reason to opt for the CF.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have a Lancer.

Not as light as one thinks, based on weighing it on the scale with the mounting hardware. not as insular as I would have thought, as I've heated the tube up to the point that it's uncomfortable to hold.

Given those two things, I couldn't come up with a reason to opt for the CF.
    Weight certainly has something to do with it, but it's also just as much about the profile for me, being closer to the NSR. I'm not worried about heat so much as I've never had an issue with it whilst using squid grip, so as long as the CF can handle it I've got no problem there. I'm more concerned about toughness, how well it could handle impact or abrasion (such as skittering across pavement). When I run an AR it's on a sling, so I've never actually sent one across the tarmac before which makes that part more curiosity than concern. I would think something like cerakote would help, but I don't actually know what the black or FDE ones are coated with.

I have had several take some pretty good hits though, so that's where my primary concern is.

Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    I know where the carbon fiber fabric and design specific resin comes from for these.
    You have my attention, please elaborate.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post

You have my attention, please elaborate.
    Lets just say the company I work for maintains the network for the company that does carbon fiber applications... to include weapon parts manufacturing, automotive industries ( to include the chassis for certain super cars lambo, Ferrari, VW and others), and aircraft parts (civilian and DoD). And yes I included VW in the supercar market because they make the Bugatti.

Now they don't make the parts that is up to the individual manufactures, they just supply the weave/shred specific carbon fiber fabric and the proprietary resin that fits the application. Really the secret is in the resin...fabric is fabric.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So what do you think about it in this application? Strength/toughness, abrasion resistance?
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    So what do you think about it in this application? Strength/toughness, abrasion resistance?
    I know they make carbon fiber for the landing gear covers on C7's and the amount of force applied to the carbon fiber on that landing gear is ridiculous. I know they make the carbon fiber that is used for the chassis of the Lambo Aventador. I think they know what they are doing with carbon fiber.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So what I should take from this is... it's probably fine.

That's what I was hoping. Thanks!
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know in the car industry, the newest trend is carbon kevlar. Wonder if that will cross over to the gun industry.

From the sound of it this forend should be pretty structurally sound.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    I know they make carbon fiber for the landing gear covers on C7's and the amount of force applied to the carbon fiber on that landing gear is ridiculous. I know they make the carbon fiber that is used for the chassis of the Lambo Aventador. I think they know what they are doing with carbon fiber.
    But wouldn't the determining factor of the strength also be that the manufacturer (Troy in this case) design and make their rails properly? I haven't seen the Aventador's manufacturing process (or maybe I have in the massive amounts of youtube videos I've seen), but I would imagine it's quite intensive - to avoid shattering when it hits a pot hole. Could one assume that Troy makes their rails with the same process? Absolutely. Do they? Well, I guess you could slam the rail against a counter top a few hundred times and see if it shatters.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know that they send their engineers out to assist with creating correct mold and tool pathing for application specific processes
    Just a regular guy.