Downloads
    Uploads

AR pistol 1-4x reasoning

This is what happens when an unplanned new addition to an AR family appears. My personal bankruptcy firm, BCM, coerced me into opening my home to a lonely 11.5" LW upper with free BCG. I had to scramble to dress the poor thing. All the sibs are contributing. Smith gave up his 5.45 hand guard. (He went Magpul). Mr. Colt 6920 needed a diet anyway so shed his TR24, in hopes of donning the TA33 Acog. We'll see. And lastly the irritably tardy Voodoo 7.5 barrel means the KAK tube with Sig brace need pine away waiting in the safe no more.

So the question hidden in the above droning is: Does any one use a variable on a shorty? I could go RD, but I already have them on a couple 10 inchers. And the 14.5 LW feels top heavy with the TR24 and loses the quick pointyness that brings me joy. I figure the 11.5 will have a little less blast and can get by with a flash hider thereby making a variable more feasible. The weight on the pistol is much more wieldy with the short reach. This will not be a primary defense gun, but like all the residents is available for nasty critters duty. I'm also considering leaving on the classic hand guards and FSB as too many rails make Jack a something or other. Here is what the newbie looks like now. The KAK provides sufficient eye relief. The lower is temporary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never ran a Sig brace but I have to say I like it. A Centurion Arms cut away rail would be nice on her.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    What lower is that?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I've never ran a Sig brace but I have to say I like it. A Centurion Arms cut away rail would be nice on her.
    Great minds thinking alike.

Factory custom upper order from Centurion. Original owner couldn't cycle cheap steel case so he sold it cheap. I only use brass so no probs yet.
    Centurion cutout and barrel
    Vltor upper
    Mega lower
    May use Mepro RDS when arrives

Downloads
    Uploads
    To the OP's optic question:

I've ran a Weaver Tactical 1-5x on my 12.5" gun and it worked out well. Really shined on anything over 200 yards that was smaller than a standard silhouette. I've since switched it over to an H-1 but might pick up a 1-x variable in a QD mount later on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it depends like always, what you plan to use the shorty for. I've had some 1-4x24 optics on short barreled uppers before, but did not like them as much as RDS because typically I don't shoot longer than 100-200 yards max. I wouldn't have any issues putting them on a short upper if you need to have one though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The second shorty w/red dot is the primary close-in defense gun. But accuracy beyond 100 yds without some X is wishful for these aging eyes. Hence the TR24 for the 11.5". Of course in most scenarios I would be sneaking away from a long range threat, but when being prepared is also lots 'O fun, why not?

Downloads
    Uploads
    As much as I enjoy 1-4 optics, I think it's the fact that Aimpoints and red dots in general have unlimited eye relief, so sometimes when I'm switching back and forth, it's hard to get spoiled with the eye relief, and then have to realize, my big o'le melon has to be a certain distance away from the optic.

Another option that has worked for me is the mini-ACOGs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I love my red dots too. Have half a dozen with the new Mepro on order. The 3x Agog and TR24s though, have generous eye relief compared to most magnified. And occluded works nicely as a RD on the 'cog for close in. That BAC was a brilliant concept. Thought about it on the shorty, but the triangle on the Triji is faster to pick up than the tiny chevron. Would love to try a TA45-2, but doubt I'll find one around for the $$$ I want to spend. But you never know. Got the new TA33 for $550!
    Last edited by Uffdaphil; 2 August 2014 at 08:20.

Downloads
    Uploads
    But the question boils down to this: how do you use your specific weapon? If it's as a plinker, trying to get the smallest groups, then a variable/magnified optic might make sense. But if it's as a defensive carbine (or more likely, at least for me, a run-and-gun/competition weapon), a red dot of your favorite flavor is a much easier thing to use, as UWone is alluding to. With some practice, you should be able to hit minute of steel at 200 with a RDS, supported, regularly.

But again, the optic has to match how you use your weapon, and maybe even more importantly, how you use it that's enjoyable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed 100% Gator. The luxury of having multiple ARs mean all don't need to be best at one thing. Even though most will only be range shooters, my go-to defense guns are top tier 10.5, 14.5 and 16 inchers with Aimpoints. Magnified are for fun until, God forbid, social breakdown occurs. In which case I arm my extended family for longer range defense perimeter scenarios.

I don't own a single weapon I would not trust my life with. Except maybe the Sig P556 because I'm not familiar enough with the platform to quickly diagnose and fix problems. That one would be assigned to a certain bro-in-law.