Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "rob_s,
    I have spent a LOT of time with iron sights over the last few years. Because of that I have come to appreciate the small aperture. There are not many flip-up rear sights that deploy to the small OR large with the shooter making the choice. The BCM sights made by Diamondhead are the only ones I'm aware of, so that's what I used."

Check out LWRC. I like 'em because they fold large or small and all the edges are smooth.

https://www.lwrci.com/p-237-lwrci-sk...buis-rear.aspx

Downloads
    Uploads

Ruc Complete Lower as purchased from Rainier arms - great value with high quality parts. Biggest sell was the 45 deg ambi safety and FDE furniture option. I liked the minimalist stock it came with but not as much as the UBR on it now. It also matched the upper I already had.

UBR - Just love the stock. Aside from the look, the super quick adjustment to preset positions is not something i'll ever NEED but still like to have it. Plus it saves me from having to buy a sling plate. weight is a worthy trade off.

Geissele - enough said.

Vortex PST 1-4x in Bobro precision mount. Wanted a quality but budget friendly 1-4x and this fit the bill. Can't skimp on the mount though it cost 1/2 as much as the scope itself......

Rainier Arms Upper with 16inch barrel. - I actually got the upper from UWOne77 after he ran it through a torture test of 5500rds without cleaning/lubing. I've got about 3-4k through it myself with minimal maintenance since and it still outshoots me.

I replaced the rail with a Centurion C4 12inch because it was a bit longer than the RA brand one on it and a better look. I chose this because aside from those horribly ugly/played out Keymods, there aren't many options...

MBUS - because the color matched and i'm too cheap to buy the swing out 45deg BUIS from Diamondhead I want.

Surefire M951 in FDE - Not gonna lie, I like my insight and TLR lights better, but this one looks awesome and has a perm on feature unlike the Insight. Also paid only $60 for it.

MS3 sling - LOVE the 1pt to 2pt feature and the quick adjustment pull of it. Only other sling I use is a Troy single point that I've converted into a 3pt on my Tavor.

Last edited by IRacknBack; 18 August 2014 at 10:42.
    Comfort is a state of mind......

Downloads
    Uploads

"Colt 733 Clone"
    Purpose: Amusement/Light Weight Rifle
    While it might sound silly to some, I got the inspiration for this from watching a clip from the movie "Heat" on YouTube. Of course, it's Hollywood, but I really admired the seeming light weight and maneuverability, so I set out to reproduce it.

The Lower Half:
    Noveske Gen1 "Chainsaw" Receiver
    Geissele SSA Fire Control Group
    Colt "N1" CAR15 Stock
    Spike's ST-2 Buffer
    Small parts and stock hardware were parts I had on hand- most likely High Standard, but I really don't remember anymore.

The Upper Half:
    Colt Bolt Carrier Group
    C7-type Receiver- unsure of manufacturer, I traded for it.
    Bravo Company 11.5" "pencil" Barrel
    SWR Specwar 762 Sound Suppressor
    Charging Handle, Hand Guards, and other small parts I already had on hand- most likely High Standard.

This rifle is my favorite. I love how light it is. It has less than 1000 rounds on it, seeing as it's a new build, but the reliability has been no less than perfect. The SWR Specwar 762 adds more weight than I'd like, so I plan on replacing it with maybe an AAC Ranger III or a GemTech Trek-T. I haven't really shot it for accuracy, so I can't make any concrete claims. It hits a paper plate at 100 yards consistently with just casual plinking.
    -lamarbrog

I sold my Browning High Power because it is a heavy, low-capacity, hammer-biting, magazine disconnecting, stiff manual safetied artifact with uncommon magazines, and it still holds the honored place of being my least favorite pistol I have ever owned.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^ I like that...I was just talking with a friend about a similiar build...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice. Love the simplicity of the A1 style upper. Straight up iron sights ... nice!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like simplicity. Of course, a Colt 733 clone takes it to an extreme which is (fortunately? unfortunately?) not really practical anymore. Even so, when I do go modern I still keep things pretty streamlined. This is a "general purpose" set up. I'd like to use it for home defense, but won't really even consider it seriously until I can get a 5.56mm suppressor for it. 10.5" muzzle blast in a hallway sounds like a good way to discover what bleeding from the ears feels like. Rather avoid that.

Noveske SBR Receiver
    Geissele SSA Fire Control
    B5 "SOPMOD" Stock
    Palmetto State Armory Upper w/ FN Barrel
    Colt Bolt Carrier Group
    PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle
    Knight's Armament RAS & VFG
    Viking Tactics Flashlight Mount
    SureFire G2X Tactical Light
    LMT Rear Sight

It would have an AimPoint PRO on it, but I am an idiot and didn't keep a spare battery on hand. The battery is dead.
    -lamarbrog

I sold my Browning High Power because it is a heavy, low-capacity, hammer-biting, magazine disconnecting, stiff manual safetied artifact with uncommon magazines, and it still holds the honored place of being my least favorite pistol I have ever owned.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mines pretty simialr to Iamarborg. (sorta)

I ended up picking up a DD-MK18 upper on a whim, and wasnt really sure what I was going to build around it. Bought a Noveske Gen-II lower and a TA33G-H to go with it, and then stumbled upon the CQBR/ MK18 Clone threads on ARFCOM and it started playing a role on how I wanted to finish the rifle.

When this build started, I knew I had a longish range rifle already and I wanted something I could bring to an indoor range or out to 300 or so meters. (This was basically my only starting criteria, but I have to say I am thrilled with how its turned out so far)

Upper is a factory Daniel Defense MK18
    BUIS are KAC
    Optic is a Trijicon TA33G-H Acog
    Lower: Noveske Gen-II
    Trigger: Geissele SD3G
    B5 Systems Sopmod Stock
    Ergo Grip, and Magpul AFG
    and a Surefire 300B light.

and a Surefire SOCOM 556RC is still in NFA jail :-(

This has turned out to be my favorite rifle hands down. Its light enough, fast enough, and accurate enough to ring 8" Steel plates at 400m with MK262. I love the ACOG, it gives me just enough magnification, with out slowing me down too much.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice!

I wish DD would stop etching on their upper receivers the caliber and model though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It does seem that the idea that magnification on an SBR is going away. There are quire a few sacred cows re: SBRs that have been slain in recent times. They all seem to come back to two main ideas, that SBRs are unreliable and inaccurate, that have gone completely out the window.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Very nice!

I wish DD would stop etching on their upper receivers the caliber and model though.
    Agreed. I have a stripped Noveske N4 upper I have been meaning to swap everything over too.... I'm just lazy :-( haha

Downloads
    Uploads

Well the build project has come to a close. From planning and researching all the parts, making lists then remaking lists to expense spreadsheets being revamped half a dozen times it is officially closed. There are a ton of people that has helped this project come together. The most important of those is my wife Christina, without her none of this would have been possible at all. I want to thank UWone77 for the donation of the Iron Viper USAF Forward Assist. I have to thank Jennifer over at CMC Triggers for working with my wife and getting this super sexy flat 3.5lbs trigger. The crew over at Battle Arms Development and Rainier Arms for dealing with me placing orders every week. So without any more hee-hawing around let's get down to the what and why…..

At the butt end I wanted something light and something minimal and the Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock fit the bill perfectly. I ordered from Rainier Arms and at the same time paired it up with your standard Buffer Tube, Buffer Spring, and H1 Buffer. You can't beat the deal when you bundle this up. I will make my own paracord strap just need to get a nice D-ring with QD attachment will do the paracord in crimson red and silver.

I already had the Vortex Sparc and decided to use it on this build. Vortex makes a quality RDS that doesn't break the bank and it comes with a "No-Bullshit Warranty".

For the grip I wanted to try something different and so far I am really liking the way the Mission First Tactical Engage Pistol Grip (EPG16). It is just barely thicker than the Magpul MOE that I am used to and it feels just slightly more vertical but doesn't look like it is.

I could have picked a less expensive receiver set but since this was going to be my 2-Gun competition rifle I decided to go with some top-notch sexy as all get out NorthTech Defense Billet receiver set.

I think in my mind Rainier paired up with AXTS and they knocked it out of the park with the Raptor charging handle. If the build is going to be my rifle I would not want to use any other charging handle on the market. I love the functionality and the simplicity of the design and it just works and I mean it works.

Ares Armor has probably the best deal on the market right now for NiB BCG's that was a deal I could not pass up. Upon arrival and inspecting this I feel like I need to phone up Ares and give them some more money cause I feel like I practically stole this from them and just left a tip.

Battle Arms Development has made a name for themselves with their BAD-ASS (Ambidextrous Safety Selector). They are second to none and I would not put anyone else's safety selector on any of my rifles. As you can see I picked up a set of their Enhanced Pin Sets (EPS) and these will be standard on all my future builds as well.

I had put the Iron Viper USAF Forward Assist on my list and had full intentions of buying one as the quality of the product is everything that is should be. I wanted the USAF FA to remind me of the first time I held this particular weapon platform. Luckily for me UWone77 read my list and donated the USAF FA he had on hand. Don't worry the Ti-Fang FA that came on the NTD upper was donated to another WEVO member for his AR-Pistol build.

Odin Works XMR makes an appearance as well and so far I am really liking how it feels and works.

Now I know a lot of reviews have been done on the CMC Trigger and a lot of "wow" has been written by a lot of people with more trigger time than I will ever have….but they are not kidding the hype is not hype it is real. This trigger is so smooth, short reset, no creep, minimal travel the more I think about it the more I drool. This trigger is the real deal.

Up front leading the charge and displaying the business end is the Rainier Arms RMC (Rainier Mini Comp). Short and sweet to keep the overall length of the weapon system down but still managing recoil and muzzle rise to keep me on target and tracking the course.

Daniel Defense fixed front sight for when the RDS dies mid shoot. The ghost ring of the RDS and this sight I should still be able to engage targets on a course effectively to finish the course.

Norah Arms hand stop to remind me where to put my hand. I like the design of the Norah hand stop and that is very minimal but very effective as a hand stop and barricade device.

Outside we have a Odin Works Kmod Forend 15.5" of long leggedness and underneath it I have the Odin Works Ultralite 16" Stainless Steel barrel.

Overall I am very happy with the build. Blowndeadline knocked the cerakote job out of the park. His work has turned my rifle into a lead slinging piece of art.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Comp, what is that wire, it appears to be a ground wire? on your Vortex optic?

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Comp, what is that wire, it appears to be a ground wire? on your Vortex optic?

FT

It's a safety wire to the cap so you don't lose it when you have them off while sighting it in.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    It's a safety wire to the cap so you don't lose it when you have them off while sighting it in.
    Yeah, I figured that out about 3 seconds after I posted.... You know what, though? I'm sure I'm not alone, spending big bucks on Aimpoint products and mounts, because most of us that use them will agree that we know they work, a quality product, and can take a real beating.

I've avoided trying the Vortex because I don't hear much about them, except when the occasional person posts a pic of a gun with one mounted on it.

Since you're going to be using this in competition, maybe after about a month or so of abuse, you can do a write up on how well yours takes a beating, pros / cons etc. I'd be a lot more confident in hearing how one handles the inevitable bumps and bangs of a comp gun, over someone shooting one off of a bench.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I took a carbine class over the weekend (Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute, Carbine Foundation) and realized a few things that I need to change on my rifle;

1. Move my sling attachment from the left side of my stock to the right.
    2. I would benefit from some rail covers and a small index point forward of my grip. I touched the low pro gas block through a keymod hole in my rail, ouch.

Class was great. After action report to come.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/