Downloads
    Uploads

Selectors in Pics

It seems to me that way more often than not, when I see a pic of an AR (not being held), the selector is set on "Fire". Is this a standard thing? Whenever I'm not firing or function checking, it's on "Safe". Just a habit I guess. A static "action" shot perhaps? A random AR pistol pic from an image search:

[IMG][/IMG]

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the ar15 to be placed in safe, the hammer needs to be cocked. Most people I know(myself included) store their rifles unloaded and un-cocked. It's part of my function check when I load to shoot, and after I finish shooting.
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    That makes perfect sense. I didn't even think of that. I suppose my habit of eternal "on safe" comes from where I work. Either in storage or on duty, our weapons are to be on safe. Always always always. Ingrained now I guess. Thanks for the answer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just out of curiosity re: policy where you work...

So if a rifle is "empty" (mag out, no round in chamber) it's to be cycled and out on safe? If a rifle is condition...whatever (I don't have them memorized) with a mag in and an empty chamber, it's to be cycled prior to inserting the mag and then put on safe?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I shoot all my pictures with the selectors on fire.

I store all of my guns that won't be used for HD unloaded, trigger pulled, and hammer forward.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I store all of my guns that won't be used for HD unloaded, trigger pulled, and hammer forward.
    I would go so far as to say that my default is pretty much "fire". Fully unloaded ARs are stored with hammer down, meaning that the safety cannot be engaged. "Ready" ARs sit with the hammer down, safety off, loaded mag in (and loaded mag in Redimag, but that's probably irrelevent). I actually use a chamber indicator on that gun that has a case head at the back of it and a plastic end that extends into the chamber, and another that extends out of the ejection port. When I grab the gun and charge it, the indicator flies out and round gets chambered.

Pistols, for me, are either fully unloaded with striker/hammer down (trigger pulled) and no mag. if there's a mag in it, and it's not in a holster, it's a full mag and empty chamber, hammer/striker down. if It's in a holster, there's a round in the chamber and the safety, if there is one, is engaged, hammer/striker back (on non-da guns).
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by camomike View Post
    For the ar15 to be placed in safe, the hammer needs to be cocked. Most people I know(myself included) store their rifles unloaded and un-cocked. It's part of my function check when I load to shoot, and after I finish shooting.
    This.
    Most of my pics are with hammer down on an empty chamber which results in a "FIRE" position.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any particular reasons why you guys store a gun with hammer down versus hammer up on an AR? I'm not advocating either way, I'm just curious the reasoning. The springs certainly don't care one way or the other.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like I was saying- it's part of my initial function check; Making sure the the safety won't engage until I charge the rifle. Call it my OCD if you will.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always kept unloaded ARs cocked and on safe - I was taught this way with my first back in 1980, when you charge the weapon it's already on safe. I'm not going to change now!

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me I charge, BHO, inspect chamber, release bolt, safe, load mag, recharge, select fire, shoot. Every first mag I run at the range. It function checks the keys components and let's me do a final check for chamber fouling.