Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is my current home defense build that I am working on:

Spike's Tactical lower with BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 Grip and Vltor EMod Stock
    Spike's Tactical 16" upper with M4 profile Barrel 1:7 twist with chrome lining
    Rainer Arms Raptor Charging Handle
    Magpul BAD lever
    Magpul RVG
    Primary Arms Micro

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/9o...tml?sort=3&o=7

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/9o...tml?sort=3&o=6

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/9o...tml?sort=3&o=8

Only elements to add are a Battlecomp 2.0 comp, a light , and a Blue Force Vickers Sling. For the light I think that I am going to go with the Inforce WML HSP as the 200 lumens are more than enough for home defense and should not affect my night vision. Also I am going to go with the 45 degree thorn tail mount for the ergos on it. I chose lighter parts for this build to make this rifle easy for not only myself but my wife to handle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    1st AR for me. Living in New York we are limited now by the SAFE Act. .............. I picked up a Stag Arms Model 3. 16 inch barrel with 1-9. Flat top, going to add optics but not sure what yet. Leaning torward something with some magnification for my old eyes. Pistol grips are banned here so I went with a Thordsen FRS-15 Rifle Stock. A lot of limitations here in N.Y. but at least I am able to get out there to the range.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats on the acquisition ! And, welcome to WEVO.

Post up some pics when you can. I would like to see the configuration.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been reading a lot of very helpful threads on this forum, and I've finally decided to post my build. This is my first build and I did it with a low budget in mind. Here's the details:

Upper:
    Receiver - RedX Arms
    Barrel - Wilson Arms 18" heavy barrel, mid length, non threaded
    BCG - RGuns
    Hand guard - RGuns 16.5" free float tube
    Forward Assist - DPMS
    Dust cover - DPMS
    Optics - Tasco 3-9x40 (upgrading to a Nikon P-223 soon)

Lower:
    Receiver - Tactical Machining
    Fire control group - Brownells
    Stock - Magpul MOE
    Grip - UTG
    Trigger guard - RRA Winter guard

So far it shoots like a dream, when it finally warms up I'm going to do some testing with some different ammo to find a what groups the best.

My next build will be a 6.8 SPC for a little hog and deer killing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry I didn't notice this post earlier, but it's approved now. What made you go with the Rguns handguard?

Quote Originally Posted by cjoh101 View Post
    I've been reading a lot of very helpful threads on this forum, and I've finally decided to post my build. This is my first build and I did it with a low budget in mind. Here's the details:

Upper:
    Receiver - RedX Arms
    Barrel - Wilson Arms 18" heavy barrel, mid length, non threaded
    BCG - RGuns
    Hand guard - RGuns 16.5" free float tube
    Forward Assist - DPMS
    Dust cover - DPMS
    Optics - Tasco 3-9x40 (upgrading to a Nikon P-223 soon)

Lower:
    Receiver - Tactical Machining
    Fire control group - Brownells
    Stock - Magpul MOE
    Grip - UTG
    Trigger guard - RRA Winter guard

So far it shoots like a dream, when it finally warms up I'm going to do some testing with some different ammo to find a what groups the best.

My next build will be a 6.8 SPC for a little hog and deer killing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Sorry I didn't notice this post earlier, but it's approved now. What made you go with the Rguns handguard?
    No problem! I was looking for a 15" tube that wouldn't break the bank, and the Rguns fit the bill at $65. I actually ordered the 14.5" but they sent me the 16.5" instead, and I didn't want to take the chance of sending it back at the time. I wanted a tube instead of a quad mainly because this will be a varmint gun and the only attachment I will be installing is a bipod. Plus, for precision shooting I like the feel of a tube over the quad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've updated my optics to a FireField 1-6x24, and so far I really like it. First time I've ever shot with a FFP scope before. Also, I was finally able to get some better pics of my rifle.

This was at 100 yards trying to get her sighted in on a very windy day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What kind of ammo are you using?

Never heard of your scope... is it made in the USA? Cost?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was American Eagle, I've got some Fiocchi match king, factory Hornady and some Hornady reloads I got from a friend I'm going try next. The scope is made in China and costs about $180 new, but I paid $125 from the same guy that reloads. He used it enough to sight it in and said his eyes are too old and needed more magnification. So he took it off, and replaced it with a Nikon. Here's a review I found on it
    http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=186

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did a little more shooting today with some Hornady hand loads from my friend. Apparently my rifle liked it more than AE.

I will say that the one flyer I had was not the rifles fault, I was too cold to do another group!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice thread going. I recently finished a year-long build, and decided to finally join and post the completed build. I started this after always wanting to build a unique AR, and feeling a bit emotional due to the political climate back in late 2012 and early 2013. I do apologize for the amateur pictures, I am just now getting used to a camera that isn't attached to a phone.

Completed Rifle:

Lower and Upper:
    I purchased a Northtech Defense lower because I liked the look of it. I have a Gen 2, which doesn't have the prominent flare in the front. I started out with a PSA LPK due to the rarity of the items back in early 2013, but have since replaced the bolt catch and mag release button with Seekins. Also replaced the trigger with a Geissele SSA, which was an impulse buy back during the crazy sales after thanksgiving. I don't regret it, as it is night and day better than the stock PSA trigger, which felt pretty gritty. I have a BCM Gunfighter Grip MOD 0, which I liked because it put my grip closer to the trigger, but I am currently using a Magpul MOE Grip, which came with the LPK. I also found some good deals on P-Mags, and bought a nice stock of them. I also acquired a BADASS safety selector, as I felt it just went with the overall theme of the rifle.

I decided on the Spikes Tactical Gen 2 Billet Upper, which I considered very alluring (also matches the lower pretty well). I originally wanted the NTD Billet upper, however they haven't been in stock, and I just couldn't wait any longer on finishing the build. As you can see, I went with a Rainier Arms NiB BCG. I thought this was unique to my clique of friends and it was at a decent price. I had to grind a bit of the Seekins bolt catch to make it fit properly, but that wasn't too much of an issue.

Stock/Buffer Tube Assy:
    I chose to go with a Magpul STR, as I really like the simplicity of the Magpul stocks, but wanted a nice place to store some spare batteries/parts/tools as well. My only regret on this rifle was the buffer tube assembly. I purchased this from the same gunshop I bought the lower from. It is an ATI kit, and to me it just sounds completely different than any other buffer assembly I've used. Sounds almost like a zipper when firing or racking the bolt, which makes me believe the finish on the inside isn't smooth. I also have no documentation on the buffer weight, and its finish is very poorly done. I'll give it a few hundred rounds to see if anything changes, but I plan on replacing it.

Handguard:
    I was originally going to utilize an FSB and use a Centurion Arms C4 Midlength Cutout, but I just kept coming back to the CMR, and I think I'm better off for it. This is a 12" CMR on a 14.5" BCM lightweight barrel. I used a BCM gasblock as well. Installation was a breeze thanks to the guide here on this site. Mounted to the handguard is a Magpul AFG2 and an Inforce WML HSP. I chose the AFG2 because I am not a fan of the use of the regular foregrip, but wanted something extra to hang on to and help me control the rifle when shooting offhand. The light was something I really had to research. I originally wanted a Surefire Scout, but the Inforce ultimately won me over with it's light weight, low cost, and output of 200 lumens. I also found the button to be pretty convenient to use as well, and really like the momentary-on only function. My muzzle device is a Surefire MB556k. I went with this for a multitude of reasons. I wanted something that would help in keeping me on target when shooting rapidly (I know this doesn't replace training), and since I had to purchase something to bring the rifle to 16" anyway, this seemed like a good choice. I researched this more than any other piece, and learned a lot in the process. It also helps that I am planning on getting a suppressor in the near future, and really found a liking to Surefire's attachment system.

Optics/Sights/CH:
    I was fortunate enough to catch Weapon Outfitters while they had them in stock, so I went with the MBUS Pro's. I really like them so far, and their slim profile is pretty nice for use with optics. I can manipulate elevation and windage without having to use a tool, although the controls are pretty hard to move at the moment. My current optic is a Vortex Sparc. I chose this optic because it is a decent optic for the price point, and will suffice while I decide on a better one (I am currently torn between a PRO and a T-1, however the EOTech and Trijicon has crept into my thought process as well). I also went with a Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle because of its solid design and construction, along with its ability to easily be used with both hands.

I think that's all, however I have a strange feeling I am forgetting something. I am still looking to purchase a sling, and I also plan on getting the HSP Thorntail mount for the light, as it will put the button in a more ideal place for manipulation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Solid choices on the build. I have an upper almost exactly like the one you built, except on a Mega Billet Upper. Glad the CMR guide was useful to you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For my latest build..I wanted a somewhat LW, KISS build using good quality parts, and for it to be a reliable piece, will rock the iron sights for now, til li decide on a 1x4 for one of my other builds and move a PRO over to this one.have had a majority of the parts since last summer, but recently just finished it.

Mega arms lower with WOA lower parts, w/ ALG trigger ,BAD ambi safety, 7075 tube with Bravo stock
    Rainier arms upper, BCG, and RAC brake
    Fortis 14" rail and hammer charging handle
    BCM LW 16" middy
    daniel defense fixed sights
    Magpul k2 and AFG

Downloads
    Uploads
    I basically built a patrol rifle using what I thought was the best I could afford. I started with a stripped YHM lower
    geissele SD-C
    BCM Mod0 grip
    Magpul CTR Stock
    16" LMT Carbine upper with shaved front sight post
    Fortis 14" rail
    Battlecomp 1.0
    Troy flip ups
    Magpul XPS hand stop kit
    Inforce WML-HSP in thorntail mount
    And finally an Aimpoint Comp M4S

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice Stick! So are you limited on certain items for a patrol rifle? Or can you build anything you want?