Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

New build and not locking the bolt back?

hey fellas, finally got one of my latest builds out today to see how it shot and to sight in the Aimpoint pro.

Well first off gun chambers, ejects and everything fine, just wont lock the bolt back on the last round, no matter what mag i used today. Which was a

Gen 2 20 & 30rd Pmag
    Gen 3 20rd Pmag
    Lancer 30rd clear AWM

Also im thinking i have it narrowed down to a couple possibilities, as here is a brief break down in the upper/lower parts on this build

rainier NIB bcg- which was tight out of the package new, tight i mean bolt turning wise
    Spikes st-t2 buffer with std carbine spring
    Seekins textured bolt catch

I am thinking the bolt catch might be to blame, as when it doesnt lock back the last round, i can see the seekins catch is still down and the follower of the mag is trying to push up but its bent..

Any info here fellas? Dont think its a buffer deal, but some of you are far more experienced with these that i am, again gun shot, functioned, chambered, ejected perfectly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I blame the guy who build that POS.

What kind of ammo were you shooting?
    What kind of barrel ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Verify it fails to lock back on an empty mag when cycling it manually as well? If so, I would ditch the Seekins part and use a mil-spec one (Colt part # is SP62301, $22). Double check that the correct spring is in place.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I blame the guy who build that POS.

What kind of ammo were you shooting?
    What kind of barrel ?

Whatever..it functions fine except the stupid bolt catch..lol

-A few different kinds of ammo, federal/ LC 556, pmc 556 and some winchester 556 , all 55gr stuff
    -FN 16" CHF barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Verify it fails to lock back on an empty mag when cycling it manually as well? If so, I would ditch the Seekins part and use a mil-spec one (Colt part # is SP62301, $22). Double check that the correct spring is in place.

I have now had time to clean the gun and lower and inspect whats going on. It will not lock the bolt back on a empty mag by hand. with any mag i try.

What i have noticed is that between my other lowers (with std bolt catches) is this one with a milspec spring and seekins bolt catch is much harder to push in, not a lot, but noticeably different.

It is about the same looseness on the outside , roll pin side, but the inside part that slides up and down in the lower is tighter then the others and actually has wore off some anodizing on the lower of on thew rear side.

If you push the bolt catch strait in and out no problem, but when its even slightly tilted to the side it wont pop up over about halfway, played around with pulling up on it with my finger on the part the mag grabs and it does it everytime as the follower is coming up..

Should i take out the seekins and file the inside part some, different spring, cut the spring a tiny bit? or ditch it for a stock one, which i dont want to do, but will if i need to..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've heard of some lowers having a to shallow hole for the bolt catch spring. You may want to take the bolt catch off and compare the depth of it to one of your other lowers. The guys that I've heard about having this problem just ended up cutting off a little of their spring.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen this before in an old Olympic Arms I had years ago. The bolt catch was a bit thick and had a burr that was making it stick. I pulled the bolt catch, filed a few thou off both sides, and it started working. I eventually replaced it because it was down to bare metal and I didn't want it to rust ...

So yeah, try replacing the bolt catch with a stock one. If that doesn't help try replacing the spring & plunger next. It's an easy test ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pulled it apart, and the bolt catch is catching on the lower to where it has started wearing some anodizing off the lower. It works fine if you push on it from strait ahead but once the catch rocks to the back it is very hard for it to come up.

Dont know if maybe the hole in the catch is a hair too big or the body of the catch is a hair too thick? I contacted seekins for the hell of it, and he said he wants me to send in the whole lower..humm?

Gun works good, just this stupid little thing doesnt and bugs me , as i have a mild case of OCD when it comes to things i work on/build..lol

i dont have a spare catch or small parts on hand...i know i know..i should..Lol...i made a quick awesome video..okay crude and stupid video and sent it to one of the members here but havent heard back from him, as to what he thinks....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a spare catch. I can send it with the smooth part of the afg I forgot to send ya

Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    I have a spare catch. I can send it with the smooth part of the afg I forgot to send ya

You the man, sent ya a message

Downloads
    Uploads
    roger that will put it in a priority envelope tomorrow..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    roger that will put it in a priority envelope tomorrow..
    Got it today, bud, havent had the time to mess with the gun, hoping tomorrow i will. Actually contacted seekins/ glen right when this happened and he offered a new one, so gave him my info and not sure when i will see it, but plan to figure this out one way or the other.

Thanks again jason , thats what i love about forums like this, people helping people.. Thumbs up!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Got it today, bud, havent had the time to mess with the gun, hoping tomorrow i will. Actually contacted seekins/ glen right when this happened and he offered a new one, so gave him my info and not sure when i will see it, but plan to figure this out one way or the other.

Thanks again jason , thats what i love about forums like this, people helping people.. Thumbs up!!

Man this community has given so much, anything I can do to contribute and give back. I have met some awesome people, bloggers, manufacturers, and fabricators. All of them are very humble people who will sit down have a beer with you and give you the shirts off their back to help you and your cause.

And it all started here.

Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a similar issue with my Seekins Bolt Catch... It was getting stuck on the upper (didn't have clearance on the top). Might want to see if it is rubbing anywhere externally.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok , back to this ...help..long post , but i am getting frustrated..please read and let me know what you think, as if im am on the right path or?

I got a stock bolt catch from Computalotapus and already had glen from seekins offering me a new seekins one to try out, so just got the new seekins bolt catch from them today so decided to screw around with this.

Well installed the oem part and have some dummy rounds laying around and proceeded to try out gen 2, 20 and 30rd pmags, gen 3 20 and 30 pmags and a lancer awm. Well it would cycle about half the time and woud never lock it back on the gen 2 20's , as thier spring seems much weaker.

So swapped back in the new seekins catch and same thing, some mags worked flawless and others would hang up here and there.Hummm..

So i grabbed my other new build that hasnt been shot yet, that has a stock catch , and loaded up the dummy rounds in all the mags again, with this lower - mega, rainier upper and their std. black bcg and it cycled every one of them perfect and always locked the bolt, no matter what mag..

Okay..So i step back for a minute and rack the other gun a few times and then the other new build and can notice that the new, never fired gun racks much easier with the std, rainier black bcg , with a PSA carbine buffer and spring.

The build i am having issues with is using a spikes st-t2 and their spring.

Well for shits and giggles i swap out the rainier NIB bcg with the std RA bcg and load up my dummy mags in the first gun and it not only locks the bolt back with no problems, but i can physically tell it racks much easier..

I am thinking something is up with the rainier NIB bcg? I know a month or so before i got it they had a problem with a batch and had many people swap them out..Maybe the coating is a hair to thick?

Sorry so long, just frustrated and not sure where to go next, beside contact rainier arms and see what they say

Downloads
    Uploads
    So it with the standard BCG it'll lock back with ALL mags? And the nibx one won't? If I read that right I would assume it's the BCG. Before that I would take the nibx one and put it in a rifle you KNOW works. If the rifle stoa working then I would call RA, get a new one.

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.