Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I see lots of wrong information here. If someone is using Go/ No Go gages for a 5.56 chamber that is wrong. Unless they specifically had correct 5.56 gages made for that purpose. The military uses a FIELD gage and it is the only gage I use.

I have seen some Radical Firearms barrels that had incorrect gas ports and most recently one that had an out of spec chamber (checked with a chamber gage). Fitting a bolt to a barrel requires the use of graduated gages and I would be surprised if WMD has them. Not sure how else you are going to "fit" a bolt to a barrel.
    Owner/Instructor- Semper Paratus Arms
    www.semperparatusarms.com

Master Armorer/R&D- SIONICS Weapon Systems
    www.sionicsweaponsystems.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm definitely not a gunsmith and am just asking; since the rifle fired and cycled ammo manually with the Radical Firearms bolt/BCG and didn't fire or cycle manually with the WMD bolt/BCG, if my chamber were out of tolerance/spec, would I not have the problem with both bolts/BCGs?

I'm definitely open to suggestions. I just want the thing to chunk a live round without having to bang the butt on something or pull the trigger.

Later!

Simi
    Last edited by Simi-audamadik; 24 January 2015 at 01:47.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I see lots of wrong information here. If someone is using Go/ No Go gages for a 5.56 chamber that is wrong. Unless they specifically had correct 5.56 gages made for that purpose. The military uses a FIELD gage and it is the only gage I use.
    I do not agree with that statement. Forster has made NATO spec'ed 5.56 and 7.62 gages for years now. Field gages only show maximum allowable headspace and IMO are only good to verify a gun is safe to shoot, not that the headspace is correct. Proper assembly requires verification with go/no go gages. IE Field gages go to gun shows and the min/max gages stay on the bench.

When I started playing with bolt guns I realized how very few people actually understand proper headspacing and the correct use of the different types of gages.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're more than welcome to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I do not agree with that statement. Forster has made NATO spec'ed 5.56 and 7.62 gages for years now. Field gages only show maximum allowable headspace and IMO are only good to verify a gun is safe to shoot, not that the headspace is correct. Proper assembly requires verification with go/no go gages. IE Field gages go to gun shows and the min/max gages stay on the bench.

When I started playing with bolt guns I realized how very few people actually understand proper headspacing and the correct use of the different types of gages.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Simi-audamadik View Post
    In my previous experience, most LEO command staff are slightly narrow minded when it comes to bullet holes in the ceiling, floor, or furniture; especially since we're in temp housing due to construction. Now, if I'd've had my suppressor, there are safe places nearby that could've handled said test fire and nobody would've been the wiser.

Ammo - the stuff I was using Saturday was marked 5.56. The Hornady TAP I was using last night is marked .223. The problem occurred with both.
    Mags - I used at least two different PMAGs.
    Lube - both BCGs were well lubed with Cherry Balmz Black Rifle grease.

I have not personally checked the headspace; I do not possess the necessary tools. However, my pistol was "assembled" by the guys at Radical Firearms and they used go/no go guages on it. My rifle was "assembled" by the same people. I did not specifically ask, but assumed they used the guages on it as well.

I spoke with one of the guys from WMD this morning. He suggested getting the headspace checked and that the bolt might need to be "fitted" to the barrel. They will check the headspace and perform any needed gunsmithing for $35 if I ship my whole upper to them. There was no indication that a bolt could be done under warranty and some indication that it may not solve the problem. Thanks for the input.

Later!

Simi
    That's not a bad option Simi. $35 plus the shipping to them. Sounds like they're willing to pay the return shipping plus make sure it's working for you. I'd likely jump on that. One other thing that might be worth trying is putting that upper on the pistol first and see if it works there. Because, if it does, then the problem would be somewhere in the lower - hammer and or hammer springs would be my guess.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Simi-audamadik View Post
    I spoke with one of the guys from WMD this morning. He suggested getting the headspace checked and that the bolt might need to be "fitted" to the barrel. They will check the headspace and perform any needed gunsmithing for $35 if I ship my whole upper to them. There was no indication that a bolt could be done under warranty and some indication that it may not solve the problem. Thanks for the input.
    Kind of sucks that they aren't willing to just exchange your bolt for a different one. Given the results of your test, if the carrier works with a different bolt, i'd just buy a new bolt from someplace like Bravo Company. I mean, with insured shipping costs and the $35 for gun smithing, you're probably going to spend pretty close to the $80 it would cost you to buy a quality BCM bolt. Then you'd have a bolt from a company that'll back their product and you won't be without your upper for however long it'll take WMD to get it sorted out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're more than welcome to disagree.
    When it comes to armorer questions, Iraqgunz is pretty much the guy who trains armorers.

When he speaks, I listen.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have seen some Radical Firearms barrels that had incorrect gas ports and most recently one that had an out of spec chamber (checked with a chamber gage). Fitting a bolt to a barrel requires the use of graduated gages and I would be surprised if WMD has them. Not sure how else you are going to "fit" a bolt to a barrel.
    Who makes a good set of gauges?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    When it comes to armorer questions, Iraqgunz is pretty much the guy who trains armorers.

When he speaks, I listen.
    I honestly have no experience with him or you as far as gun smithing ability but the fact is his statement is wrong. You do you not have to fabricate NATO spec gages, Forster not only makes a NATO specific set but their 11 piece .223 set also includes the 1.4636 and the 1.4736 sized gages. They are dimensionally identical to NATO go/no go gages.

And if the OP's issue is truly related to head space (I doubt it. I'm thinking coating thickness issues like the Rubber City coated bolts suffered.) it would pass a field gage test with flying colors as the issue would be head spacing too tight. You would need the 1.4636" go gage to verify that condition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Can't test fire at work??? Are they against an innocent Desk Pop???

How could anyone be against a desk pop????????????

On a funny/not so funny note, i had a friend that had a negligent discharge... at my house.... in front of my wife.... she had a meltdown. I had to hold her back from hitting him.

Anyway he's a son of an LEO (not really relevant i suppose) but he is extremely cautious with firearms. He really beat himself up about it. Anyway, he carved a wooden glock like from the movie and would leave his glock in his truck and holster the wooden gun every time he would come to my house after that. (and he bought my wife like 2 cases of wine haha).

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I was in Iraq, the Blackwater armorers attempted to use commercially made .223 gages to perform headspace. All of a sudden, they discovered a lot of the weapons failing. Some of them had less than a few hundred rounds through them. When I went over to their location with the correct MILSPEC Field Gage (which is the only one spec'd in the TM) all of those weapons passed.

The design of the gage is also different. You are free to do what you want, I am simply stating that the Clymers and Forster gages probably suffice (assuming people use them correctly and assuming that the chamber is actually a true 5.56 NATO and not out of spec.). There are quite a few companies that have barrels marked 5.56 (older Bushmaster comes to mind) were notorious for having tight chambers.

When I check headspace I use a MIL issue Field Gage. If I was using a correct marked 5.56 commercial gage, the only one I would care about is a NO GO.

The only gage that is going to help check the chamber, is the 5.56 chamber gage made by Ned Christiansen.

http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I honestly have no experience with him or you as far as gun smithing ability but the fact is his statement is wrong. You do you not have to fabricate NATO spec gages, Forster not only makes a NATO specific set but their 11 piece .223 set also includes the 1.4636 and the 1.4736 sized gages. They are dimensionally identical to NATO go/no go gages.

And if the OP's issue is truly related to head space (I doubt it. I'm thinking coating thickness issues like the Rubber City coated bolts suffered.) it would pass a field gage test with flying colors as the issue would be head spacing too tight. You would need the 1.4636" go gage to verify that condition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I was in Iraq, the Blackwater armorers attempted to use commercially made .223 gages to perform headspace. All of a sudden, they discovered a lot of the weapons failing. Some of them had less than a few hundred rounds through them. When I went over to their location with the correct MILSPEC Field Gage (which is the only one spec'd in the TM) all of those weapons passed.

The design of the gage is also different. You are free to do what you want, I am simply stating that the Clymers and Forster gages probably suffice (assuming people use them correctly and assuming that the chamber is actually a true 5.56 NATO and not out of spec.). There are quite a few companies that have barrels marked 5.56 (older Bushmaster comes to mind) were notorious for having tight chambers.

When I check headspace I use a MIL issue Field Gage. If I was using a correct marked 5.56 commercial gage, the only one I would care about is a NO GO.

The only gage that is going to help check the chamber, is the 5.56 chamber gage made by Ned Christiansen.

http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php
    First off I would like to thank you for posting that link. I was given his neck and throat reamer by a old friend when I was having issues with a .223 Wylde bulging primers and had no idea who made it.

His chamber gage will be on the order with the new reamer.

I think we can both agree that the part in bold above is where most issues start. LOL I also think that I am looking at headspacing as critical for chasing the last little bit of accuracy in a gun after safe operation is assured, where a combat armorer is ultimately concerned that the gun goes bang every time. From the correct end of the weapon.

Thank you for your service also.