Downloads
    Uploads

When you cerakote a receiver....

Does the entire receiver get coated or just the exterior?

Downloads
    Uploads

When you cerakote a receiver....

A good cerakote applicator will spray it in and out, but I've seen some sub par jobs...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine were sprayed inside and out. This can cause fit issues if the receivers are tight to begin with. My Mega billet receivers required a little sanding where the pins holds them together.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine was cerakoted inside and out.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another for the inside and out.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonScoring View Post
    Mine were sprayed inside and out. This can cause fit issues if the receivers are tight to begin with. My Mega billet receivers required a little sanding where the pins holds them together.
    My understanding from talking to the folks at Cerakote is it is supposed to be so thin when properly applied it won't cause fitment issues. I've not personally done any Cerakoting, (YET!), but I did a gun in KG Gunkote from Brownell's. I purposely masked off the internal areas of the receivers that would not be seen when the gun was assembled, because I didn't want to have any issues with clearances/fitment issues. I'm putting some thought into getting some Cerkote supplies to do another rifle and see how it works out. Should be interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    My understanding from talking to the folks at Cerakote is it is supposed to be so thin when properly applied it won't cause fitment issues. I've not personally done any Cerakoting, (YET!), but I did a gun in KG Gunkote from Brownell's. I purposely masked off the internal areas of the receivers that would not be seen when the gun was assembled, because I didn't want to have any issues with clearances/fitment issues. I'm putting some thought into getting some Cerkote supplies to do another rifle and see how it works out. Should be interesting.
    With colder weather around make sure you get a line filter to pull any oil out of it. Talking to a few coaters during the colder months you have really filter the line if not you will see clumping.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cerakote will very slightly affect tolerances. Most notably on 1911 frame to slide fit.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    If properly applied Cerakote should be .001" thick. Very few tolerences in firearms are that close. The only time I have had issues in the fire control pocket was when I just roughened up the anodizing and did not completely remove it from the pocket. I also ream the trigger pins out to .156" to allow for the thickness of the coating. After coating if my .154" pin gauge snugly fits in the hole I know the coating was applied to the proper thickness. The pins fit snugly in the holes at that spec. I prefer them snug over loose and even after thousands of rounds they remain at that spec. I used to leave the anodizing in the trigger pin holes and coat the receiver with a set of pins in place due to the rumors of wear with Cerakote over anodizing, but actual use has proven to me that is in fact just a rumor. The coating wears no more or no less than the anodizing based on my measurements.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    With colder weather around make sure you get a line filter to pull any oil out of it. Talking to a few coaters during the colder months you have really filter the line if not you will see clumping.
    Thanks for the heads up. I run a de-oiler and dryer on my compressor so I should be good. Just need to fire up the shop heater...getting cold at night!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good info in here. I was wondering the same.
    Looking to get my AR done eventually.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    The best way to Cerakote a part that's appropriate for it in the first place is to do the entire part, inside and out...except for a barrel, obviously.
    "Never forget those who have died; Never forget who killed them."
    -Unknown