Downloads
    Uploads

polymer lower...

I searched but did not find any posts about polymer lowers.
    Specifically, Tennessee Arms. Anyone have experience with these?
    I was thinking of going in the polymer direction, the videos I've seen seem to show it taking quite a bit of abuse and holding up well. I figure if my HK USP can have a poly lower , why not my AR.
    Celebrate Schadenfreude!

No weapon formed against me shall prosper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there a reason why you would prefer polymer to 7075 T6? This is a buyers market and high quality forged lowers can be had for great prices. I would have a hard time recommending a polymer lower over a superior forged lower, especially when the forged one is cheaper. Here is a great one, blemished Combat Shooters lower for $49.99.

http://www.csguns.com/combat-shooter...d-p-25514.html
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was going for weight reduction/ novelty of new build
    I have several lowers on the safe, so good on that front.
    Celebrate Schadenfreude!

No weapon formed against me shall prosper

Downloads
    Uploads
    ARs were designed with aluminum in mind. Your USP was designed with polymer in mind. Replacing aluminum with polymer on a one for one basis is never a good idea. Cav Arms had the right idea when they completely redesigned the lower to work with polymer. There are a multitude of videos and pics of broken polymer lowers all over the net, a quick google search will show you that they fail at a much higher rate than aluminum lowers. The buffer tube tower, and pivot and takedown pin holes are the weakest areas and most likely to break on you. If all you do with the rifle is plink and baby it, you'll probably be fine. If you use it even remotely hard, go with aluminum.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did a lot of research on this when I built my first AR. Granted, the lower receiver stresses are mostly on the take down pins and the buffer tube ring. I went with a forged lower because the polymers available at the time had too many horror stories (with pictures) for me to have a warm, comfy feeling about them.

Some strengthened polymers though I think can work fine. I've decided to 'bite the proverbial bullet" and get an 80% lower receiver and finish it myself. I will get one of the JMT lowers to do that. From what I have been able to determine so far, the polymer they have is likely superior to any others out there. I think it would work fine for 5.56/.223 and probably .300 Blackout. not sure I'd build it for any other options though.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen a polymer lower snapped in half. Not sure if on purpose or what but I personally wouldn't want one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the answers guys. One of the factors that made me think of a poly lower, is the current tech of polymer seems to be far ahead of the first gen stuff and my lgs told me, that I if broke it or cracked it that TA would replace it, no questions asked.
    Also that company is using brass fittings on 2 areas of the lower that I guess has been historically prone to high stress.
    I may just build it to build it and try it out. I mean hell, the lower is only $33. It wouldnt be my primary rifle anyways , just a range toy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're right as far as poly lowers have come a long way since the days of the Plum Crazy garbage.

If you already have some go-to rifles, and want to experiment with a lower cost/lighter weight build, go for it. Some people like tinkering around with their builds.

In general I agree with some of the other opinions, Aluminum lowers are so cheap right now there is no reason to go Poly for the price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you just want lighter you can get a magnesium one. I'm not overly familiar with them, but I'd trust it over a poly.

http://www.magtacticalsystems.com/in...08-01-17-32-25
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    This is a buyers market and high quality forged lowers can be had for great prices. I would have a hard time recommending a polymer lower over a superior forged lower, especially when the forged one is cheaper. Here is a great one, blemished Combat Shooters lower for $49.99.
    $50 for a lower like that? Geez. That's a steal.

Must. Hold. Back.

Can. Not. Blow. Up. Credit. Card...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even with a stripped lower at $50 (and there is shipping and FFL transfer on top of the $50), it's around a $90 purchase. That puts something like the JMT lower that includes the jig at $100 become reasonable to try. If I have Irrigation Centers transfer anything it's $30. If I have Tom do a transfer, it's $20 but Tom isn't always around because he is both a FFL type 7 AND a construction company. Those are my only two FFL's within 80 miles who can do transfers. Tom has been concentrating more on the construction work lately because that makes sure he gets his mortgage paid. At $30 for the FFL transfer I may as well just do the finishing machine work myself and buy 80% lowers for the guns I want for myself. Tools around here are plentiful. There are even a couple CNC machines around here that aren't in use. If I ever get enough capital together, I'll start a machine shop factory here and make barrels and other gun parts. Industry will increase the population some.

There are so few people in this area of Idaho that a gun shop couldn't stay in business. There wouldn't be enough revenue to pay the bills AND provide an income. More businesses in this valley have died here than have managed to stay in business. The population here isn't growing here either. It's getting smaller.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Even with a stripped lower at $50 (and there is shipping and FFL transfer on top of the $50), it's around a $90 purchase. That puts something like the JMT lower that includes the jig at $100 become reasonable to try. If I have Irrigation Centers transfer anything it's $30. If I have Tom do a transfer, it's $20 but Tom isn't always around because he is both a FFL type 7 AND a construction company. Those are my only two FFL's within 80 miles who can do transfers. Tom has been concentrating more on the construction work lately because that makes sure he gets his mortgage paid. At $30 for the FFL transfer I may as well just do the finishing machine work myself and buy 80% lowers for the guns I want for myself. Tools around here are plentiful. There are even a couple CNC machines around here that aren't in use. If I ever get enough capital together, I'll start a machine shop factory here and make barrels and other gun parts. Industry will increase the population some.

There are so few people in this area of Idaho that a gun shop couldn't stay in business. There wouldn't be enough revenue to pay the bills AND provide an income. More businesses in this valley have died here than have managed to stay in business. The population here isn't growing here either. It's getting smaller.
    Well, you're a special case as we all know.

I'd say most of the population don't have just 2 FFL's that can do transfers within an 80 mile radius.

For the most part, I think $20 - $25 for a transfer is reasonable, anything more and it doesn't make sense to mail order.

Your LGS these days probably have cheaper lowers in stock for most people around or near major metropolitan areas. Good deals are everywhere, even Walmart was selling Colts for $899 not too long ago.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My nearest Wally World is 80 miles away too ........

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    My nearest Wally World is 80 miles away too ........
    Well there you go... the pros/cons of living in the Sticks.