Downloads
    Uploads

Sneak Peek: Umbrella Corporation Stainless CHF Barrels

Umbrella Corporation Weapons Research Group is coming out with their own line of barrels. These are Cold Hammer Forged Stainless barrels. I'm not sure anyone else has offered a Stainless CHF barrel before. To match the barrels, they are also offering gas blocks made from stainless steel. Everything I've owned from Umbrella Corporation Weapons Research Group has been top notch and expect these to be no different. Look for these later this year. Keep up with the updates on their website here.

From Umbrella Corporation Weapons Research Group:

Here's a sneak peek at a barrel line we've been working on since 2007 (prototype shown). As far as we know, we are the first to cold hammer forge AR rifle barrels from 15Cr-5Ni (15-5PH) stainless steel. The taper pinned gas blocks are also machined from 15-5PH stainless and the extensions are cut from custom 465 stainless steel. The alloys come from our friends at Carpenter Technology Corp and represent the finest aerospace steel on the market. This 15-5 Vacuum Arc Re-melted alloy exhibits an extremely uniform microstructure (superior to 17-4PH, 416R, 410) providing advanced resistance to throat erosion. These barrels are high pressure tested and undergo both ultrasonic and magnetic particle inspection. While our initial barrels available this quarter will be cold rotary hammer forged from 41V45//CMV mil-spec steel with salt bath nitride surface and bore (same test protocol as the 15-5 models), these stainless barrels will most likely follow Q2 depending on production capacity.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, well DAMN! I need one in 13.7"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting.

I can see the conceptual appeal of more durable stainless barrels, even though I don't really expect to shoot mine out. And sure, manufacturers can put out accurate CHF barrels, so its not like its gotta be button rifled to be good. But the alloy has me confused. High Cr content sounds good for more durability in use, but I thought even the 12-14% Cr 416-based barrels work-hardened and became brittle during hammer forging. Here UCWRG is going to use 15% Cr.

Well, I guess they have it figured out or they wouldn't be trying to make them and I have to applaud anyone trying to innovate. Presumably, they'll put these out in 1:8 twist. If so, it'll be interesting to see how these stack up against the existing button-rifled stainless offerings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why am I thinking this will be over $500.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Why am I thinking this will be over $500.
    It'll be interesting to see what price point these come in at. Right now Umbrella produces such small numbers, I'm guessing they will sell all the ones they make.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like the gas block is pinned on the top rather than bottom. Should give very nice clearance for hand guards like the CMR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They make a quality product. I am very happy with everything I have gotten from UCWRG. Customer service has been top notch. Hell we even got a Christmas card from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Umbrella makes nice stuff for sure. I've always wondered why we hadn't seen these on the market before; I'm guessing these will fly off the shelves…..

Downloads
    Uploads
    These look cool, but would have rather seen CHF polygonal rifled and melonited.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Decent products, not a fan of how they run their business. I'll pas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks promising and being released at the right time for me. I've been eyeing the Rainier SS barrels for quite some time now. But I may have to throw this in the consideration pile :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since UW mentioned this thread..im gonna bump the S#5t out of it...lol

So where are these barrels.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reading the OP, looks like these were supposed to be out second quarter this year? They are behind schedule... no shocker I guess from umbrella.

I wonder how much better 465 stainless is than 410 or 416?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty sure this is sub-contracted through DD. There are precious few Hammer Forging machines in North America, and DD is the only one making CHF SS barrels on theirs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    Pretty sure this is sub-contracted through DD. There are precious few Hammer Forging machines in North America, and DD is the only one making CHF SS barrels on theirs.
    I wouldn't doubt it that the DD part is true. I'm sure with the down turn there isn't the demand to get machine time either. Guessing they are still trying to figure out their specs, which are off the fricken charts.