Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

What HD ammo for 556 SBR?

What kinds of ammo are you guys using for self defense (75 yards and in) in your 10.5 & 11.5" uppers in 5.56? I've been considering Barnes 62gr Vor-Tx or 75gr TAP but have seen some less then impressive gel testing in short barrels. Any advice would be appreciated

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have asked that here and have done my own sort of testing and researching... 77gr nosler bullets work excellent 50 yards and in. Between 50 and 100 I still wouldn't want to get hit by one.

I have also heard the Hornady 75 gr BTHP is also excellent. I bought 100 of each to test out.

I pretty much distilled everything everyone told me right there...

If you can afford it shoot the 75gr Barnes TSX.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Federal LE223T3
    Black hills 50g TSX
    Gold dots .223 64g,62g
    T556TNB1 AKA MK318

Huge fan of bonded rounds. The way I see it is, that barriers will be involved. I am getting excellent accuracy and feeding out of those four rounds out of my 10.5-14.7" barrels. Federal has officially released the XM556SBCT3 for the commercial side but at $1.85-$2.00 a round its a little steep even for me. I have seen what the MK318 does to flesh and its devastating.
    Last edited by Stone; 15 February 2016 at 17:11.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is what we use. Department did some extensive testing a few years back, and this had some of the best results as far as shooting at humans vs overpenetration, and shooting through barriers such as glass. I wish I had the testing results handy. I'll have to look for it.

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupersto...lid-base-20box

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a bunch of the 5.56 TAP T2 stuff. Hopefully it expands at 10.5" velocities.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This is what we use. Department did some extensive testing a few years back, and this had some of the best results as far as shooting at humans vs overpenetration, and shooting through barriers such as glass. I wish I had the testing results handy. I'll have to look for it.

Killed me a deer dead with that, and holy crap that's a good price!

That said, I am looking at the 5.56 pressure 55gr GMX, and the 75gr Gold Dot. The 75gr Gold Dot is doing NASTY in every test I have conducted, or heard about.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

Friends of mine swear by this as hunting ammo. I just shot some for the first time a few weeks ago. Grouped well from 1/7 and 1/9 twist barrels in multiple lengths. Honestly surprised by the consistency from different platforms. May have shot the best group ever out of a 16S.

Downloads
    Uploads
    75gr Speer Gold Dot

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am using 64gr Winchester Power Points because I loaded up a the 250ct box that I bought. However, when I decide to cull those from the herd, I'll switch to 77gr TMKs. Saw some nice gel tests of them and some deer that took a beating after getting hit with them.

PSA is having a sale on 62gr Federal Bonded ammo, $11.99/20rd

Manufactured by Federal Cartridge Company under contract for the FBI, the XM556FBIT3M is a 62 grain Tactical Bonded bullet in boxes of 20 rounds on 2 10rd Stripper Clips. This ammo is classified as “Factory Seconds” by Federal Cartridge Company because we were told that it failed the FBI’s accuracy requirements by .1 inch. It has crimped primers and sealant around the projectile. It is head-stamped “FC15 223 REM”. This limited supply is available for purchase until it is gone.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/catal...ps-xm556fbit3m

Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw that sale but am confused on whether its .223 or 556 since it says both on the box. I get the feeling its a dumbed down training version of that ammo.
    Last edited by Stone; 16 February 2016 at 10:36.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd have to go with .223 Rem, since that's what's on the head stamp. The XM556FBI3TM is the bullet type, I think

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd have to go with .223 Rem, since that's what's on the head stamp. The XM556FBIT3M is the bullet type, I think

Molon tested some a while back (Thanks, Google) and out of a 16" barrel said:

2953 FPS with a standard deviation of 15 FPS for a 10-shot string.

BC = 0.224

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed, I would follow the head stamp. But that round is supposed to be 556, weird. Regardless, the bullet is the T3 which is the Trophy bonded Bear claw. Normally when they reject/reclassify a round the box is changed to denote this as an (R) is placed before the XM that's why some of it is marked RXM. This time they just put a sticker on the box that says factory seconds along with an explanation. I am also curious as to what the (M) at the end means. Between the Nosler Bonded Solid Base that UW posted, the T3 and the TSX are about as terminally efficient as its going to get. I have been watching scattered testing on the 75g GD but am concerned about velocity and expansion out of a 10.5" barrel since its rated at 2775 from a 20" barrel. Based off the information at hand personally I go with the 62g or 64g GD's out of my 10.5" SBR.
    Last edited by Stone; 16 February 2016 at 21:26.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    That said, I am looking at the 5.56 pressure 55gr GMX, and the 75gr Gold Dot. The 75gr Gold Dot is doing NASTY in every test I have conducted, or heard about.
    Just curious, what/how are you conducting your tests? Gelatin?
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram