Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hg8057 View Post
    My primary intended usage is home defense with a secondary of suburban SHTF. I'm limited by cost (absolute maximum of $200), and something very simple to operate.
    hg -

I'm not a tactical guy and haven't done night weapons training, but I've spent a lot of time using current generation LED-driven lights and I'm comfortable sharing my decidedly practical use perspectives.

Shortish answer

Your primary need (indoor, close range) suggests a modest output, semi-floody light - the WML fits that description very well. If you like the mounting, switch and ergonomics, it is a reasonable, moderate cost solution.

If your suburban environment includes some rougher terrain, I would opt for the dual output, standard switch model. I know the HSP-stamped momentary version is intended to maintain better light discipline and is therefore more tactically sound. But having used a carbine-mounted light in "practical" outdoor use, latching low output can be a blessing; it aids in navigating through obstacles; lower output (latched or momentary) is less disruptive to night vision and driving at lower current greatly extends run time. Your needs and approach might vary, that's just my experience.

If you were considering frequent outdoor use beyond 30 yards, I would steer clear of any 1xCR123 driven light (like the Inforce). It's just plain tough to get enough throw and run time from a single cell.

Long addendum to shortish answer: Other cost-effective options to consider, all of which require a 1" mount:

The Surefire 6PX Defender might be worth a look. Its beam will be much more focused than the Inforce (longer throw, brighter hotspot, less spill) with a much longer run time. I recommend the Defender line only because it has a forward clicky tailcap that activates high output - that's great for simple carbine use.

If you're trying to save a few more dollars, Surefire offers a Nitrolon version of the same llights called the G2X. They don't offer a good clicky (Defender) model of G2X, so factory options are limited to the Tactical model's push-momentary, twist-on actuation or procuring a clicky tailcap.

For higher-output lights that can fill the same niche, I tend to really like 2xCR123A hosts with Cree XM-L2 emitters. Most offer around 600 lumens of cool tinted (high contrast) light with enough spill for fast object recognition, manageable hot spots and enough throw to be versatile outdoors. I completely understand some folks' reservations about tossing that much light around indoors, but it's not a concern I share. If it's a problem, most of these light offer low output setting and/or ship with diffusers, IMO offering the "best of both worlds."

The ones I would put at the top of the list are the EagleTac T20C2 Mk II and the Olight M20SX. I have lights from both manufacturers (a T20C2 sits on a 14.5" carbine right now) and they've been 100% reliable. While it doesn't use an XM-L2 emitter, the Surefire Fury Defender or BCM's exclusive EAG Fury fall in the same genre (though with a larger bezel, no low mode output and greater weight.)
    Hope I didn't add to confusion with the suggestions. After you select a light, then it's simply a question of finding a bombproof mount that puts your light in a position you like.

Regards,
    D.
    Last edited by RiverRat; 25 June 2014 at 11:38.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't keep a light on any of my rifles, only attach one if I need it. I mostly use a Streamlight TLR-1s, mounting 12:00 it on the end of the rail if and when I need it, same light I use on my PPQ. I also have a Brownell's 530 lumen light with tail cap switch on a VLTOR QD mount that I put on the thing occasionally.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I went with the Inforce WML 200 lumen (high, low, strobe). I mounted it at 9:00 with a flat keymod rail section that came with my handguard. There's a bit of a muzzle/barrel shadow thrown to the right so I plan on adding a IWC Keymod Thorntail mount (and hope I don't drop it!!!). That should drop the shadow down enough not to be a distraction.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm using an inforce WML and a keymod thorntail. Works very well. I'm very happy with the combo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    AIM has the 500 Lumen SUREFIRE P2X Fury Tactical on sale for $89.98 with free shipping.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cma g21 View Post
    AIM has the 500 Lumen SUREFIRE P2X Fury Tactical on sale for $89.98 with free shipping.
    Thanks for the heads up.