Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SHTF AR Optics

Downloads
    Uploads
    Or, if you really want your optic to use a 123 battery, get yourself an Eotech XPS.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the NCStar lineup of scopes, they are super durable and have green AND red light!

In all seriousness Aimpoint or Trijicon for SHTF. Never could get used to the Eotech reticile, just prefer a simple red dot on un-magnified optics.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm with you on that. I bought an Eotech a couple of years ago, maybe less. The reticle just seemed to be too "busy" for my eyesight, it just overwhelmed me with a big mass of red drawing all attention away from the target. I'm convinced that it has something to do with one's particular vision, but that's just a guess. I sold the sight a short time later, at a loss, and went back to Aimpoint, and the simple dot.

One thing I've noticed though, and I don't know if it's a regional thing or what, but I used to go to the range and half or more of the folks shooting tactical rifles were using Eotechs. In the last couple of years, I see fewer and fewer of them on guns. Now it's almost rare to see one, at least at the ranges around here. Go figure.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have noticed Eotechs becoming less and less common. I think it has to do with price. Eotech used to be a fair bit cheaper than an AimPoint. Now that the PRO is out, the tables have turned. To get a good Eotech (XPS/EXPS) now costs more than a perfectly serviceable AimPoint PRO. Eotech's man advantage has been lost.
    -lamarbrog

I sold my Browning High Power because it is a heavy, low-capacity, hammer-biting, magazine disconnecting, stiff manual safetied artifact with uncommon magazines, and it still holds the honored place of being my least favorite pistol I have ever owned.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eh a few of my buddies still use them regularly, but there are also many more alternatives now for a compact non-magnified optic than say 10 years ago.

Especially when you look at the budget price range, Primary Arms is huge for the AR market (and others), and SWFA brought back the SS scopes (talking long range optics suitable for precision long range shooting) that are 1/10th the cost of other optics suitable for the task. Vortex is also relatively low cost when it comes to value.

I see lots of PA red dots and Vortex red dots going on builds that get ran very hard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aimpoint PRO on 2 and acog on the 3rd. Also have an eotech but like the aimpoint better for battery life. And in shtf battery life > cooler reticle IMO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aimpoint, working on a build now that may go with a 1x4

Downloads
    Uploads
    Suffering from astigmatism in my dominant eye causes issues with most illuminated optics. The Eotech's are by far the worst with the Aimpoint being better but still looks blown out and oblong. The chevron's in ACOG's are by far the best so almost all of my AR's wear ACOG's. Shooting under 50 yds I have been running irons more and more. I do run a Trijicon SRS on the forward rail of a VEPR12 that is such a pinpoint dot at that extreme eye relief it works well. Getting old sucks LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have 5 Aimpoints and one Leupold vxr-patrol 1.25-4x. I've used the trijicon reflex and various eotechs in the past but I've grown to trust the simplicity and durability of the Aimpoints over everything. Its a set it a forget it, just change your battery every years or so and you are good.

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Suffering from astigmatism in my dominant eye causes issues with most illuminated optics. The Eotech's are by far the worst with the Aimpoint being better but still looks blown out and oblong. The chevron's in ACOG's are by far the best so almost all of my AR's wear ACOG's. Shooting under 50 yds I have been running irons more and more. I do run a Trijicon SRS on the forward rail of a VEPR12 that is such a pinpoint dot at that extreme eye relief it works well. Getting old sucks LOL
    This wont help much with your ak, but on an AR flip up your rear sight and look through it then, it helps reduce the bloom.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper