Downloads
    Uploads

LANTAC E-BCG v Standard BCG

So I bit the bullet today and pre-ordered a LANTAC E-BCG as the final major component of my 300blk build. I remembered that there was some speculation on the forum as to how much of a difference the design changes of the carrier made, so I figured I would do a side-by-side comparison with a standard BCG.

I'll be comparing the LANTAC bolt carrier to a BCM carrier. The bolt will be the Noveske that came with my barrel (from what I'm tracking, LANTAC is not doing anything different with the bolt). My plan is to set up some white paper by the ejection port, to get a visual depiction of how the gas is directed by both carriers. I'll also be doing some basic drills while trying to pay attention to how much perceived gas/crud I get on myself. I'll be firing un-suppressed and suppressed.... the suppressed test will happen once my stamp gets approved . I'll be pushing supersonic and subsonic rounds.

Thoughts? Opinions on different ways to test or record results?

Weapon Details:
    10.5" Noveske 300blk. Pistol length gas system
    Noveske bolt
    LANTAC/BCM carriers
    VLTOR upper
    KAC URX 4 rail
    Silencerco Trifecta Flash Hider
    Silencerco Saker, 7.62
    Spikes lower
    Geissele trigger
    H2 Buffer
    White Springco buffer sping

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the Lantac going to be available just as the carrier only? I'd just shoot the entire BCG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Look forward to seeing this review.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Grats on the Lantac schambers :) Should be a cool review. Glad your contrasting it vs a proven bcm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the Lantac going to be available just as the carrier only? I'd just shoot the entire BCG.
    I bought the entire BCG. LANTAC doesn't sell the parts to their system as far as I know. Would have definately gone that route if they did.

As Im typing this, I realize that I will have two complete 5.56 BCGs when the LANTAC comes in the mail. I'll expand the test to include 5.56 as well as 300blk.

I was so set on using the carrier in a 300blk build, I didn't even realize that it it could be used for 5.56

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking forward to your thoughts on the Lantac.

I'm wondering if it's as good as say the LMT Enhanced when shooting short barreled suppressed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I'm wondering if it's as good as say the LMT Enhanced when shooting short barreled suppressed.
    Now that sounds as fun as a barrel full of monkeys; LMT vs Lantac BCG's.

Can't wait for the review schambers! I'm also very interested Lantac's BCG for my eventual 300BLK build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just got the LANTAC BCG in the mail today so I figured I would post my initial impressions.

The packaging was pretty simple and the only extra thing that came with the BCG was a sample of Frog Lube. Good news for me since thats what I use on my ARs.

The BCG was coated with a thin layer of some kind of lubricant, presumably Frog Lube... it didn't smell minty so I'm not 100% sure. I was kind of surprised that it would come with lube already applied.

The machining is VERY well executed. Staking is well done and looks like it won't cause any problems.

The cam pin is a bronze like color. I don't really know if its a coating or a different material from the BCG, but the piece of paper that came with the BCG didn't give any specifics.

The magic sauce of the E-BCG are the gas ports, cut in different directions. Compared to mil-spec bolt carriers and all seem to be slightly enlarged and obviously, cut so the gas is pushed towards the front of the ejection port, and not out the side.

The gas key appears to be slightly enlarged but I haven't measured it yet.

The Bolt is well machined but doesn't seem to be doing anything new.

Glamour shots.

The test platforms.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice, you've got me wanting one now.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Back from the initial range test today and let me say that the retults ARE VERY BORING!

Temperature was 37F and conditions were sunny. No wind.

I had initally set up a cardboard target down range and another target to my right, positioned about 8-12 inches from the ejection port.

The idea was to try and capture a pattern of gas on the paper, in order to get an idea of what kind of quantity or angle the E-BCG expels gas, compared to a standard BCG.

No Dice. Gas failed to accumulate in quantities significant enough to pattern.

I also paid attention to whether or not I could feel any gas when using the E-BCG and BCM BCG.

No Dice. I didn't feel any difference significant enough to report. I also saw no accumulation of gas and debris on my eyepro.

(This is the best picture I have of gas ejection. Yes, its nearly impossible to see any gas.)

After getting a little frustrated, I decided to see if I could notice any difference while moving and firing. Again, nothing significant enough to report.

I'm going to run this test again when my suppressor stamp comes in. Hopefully the added pressure will make things stand out a bit more.

Wrap Up Day 1:

I was expecting more rise from the flash hider/ 300 blk comdination but the muzzle rise was nearly non existent. The entire build (see first post) came together to produce a recoil that felt smooth and pleasant, compared to the snappy nature of 5.56 SBRs that I have shot. A comparable example might the the recoil impulse of a full size 1911, compared to a compact .40 S&W pistol.

I'm disappointed that there wasn't a night and day difference between the the E-BCG and the BCM BCG. That being said, I'm content with the purchase so far. The E-BCG was never fired before, used in a weapon that has never been fired before and everything worked flawlessly. No issues what so ever. Cleanup was incredibly simple and fast.

At this point, I would reccomend the LANTAC E-BCG if you are in the market for a nickel BCG in the $200 price range. The fit and finish are impeccable and it has some unique features that might become more evident with time. I''ll keep an eye on my receiver to see how the beveled cam pin wears on it. If you just want a BCG that will reliably put rounds down range, you can definately find a cheaper solution.

If you are running un-suppressed and have issues with gas in your face, you might want to look into cheaper solutions before buying a $200+ BCG.

Stay tuned for Day 2; Suppressor (judgement) day!

(I included this picture just because I think its neat)

LANTAC has seen about 160 rounds 300blk, 120 rounds 5.56

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Schambers for the review.
    flickr
    facebook