Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ACR Review

Downloads
    Uploads

ACR Review UPDATED!!!

Alright, some of you may know that I recently acquired an ACR. I figured I would give you all a nice review on the gun and throw out my opinions. I will update this thread with new information as I continue to test this neat little rifle.

I apologize in advance for only posting one quick pic. More to come and a full review tonight since school has been hectic lately.

________
    Uggs
    Last edited by The-S; 15 April 2011 at 08:51.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I look forward to the updates!

Downloads
    Uploads
    UPDATE

My 1st impression upon looking at the rifle is that it is one sexy piece of plastic even though the colors don't match. I then picked up the rifle and was surprised at how much it weighs. I don't mind a little weight to a weapon so this is not a big deal. The barrel is a heavy profile and the BCG is quite cumbersome. The charging handle feels great! The controls feel just like an AR. Due to the grip the selector switch does get in the way a little but it should be a quick fix. This being the first year I expect a few issues.

Take down is just as simple as any other black gun. The interchangeable barrels is super easy and a huge plus. The magwel is flared for simple reloads. All ambi controls. The trigger pull is a tad heavy but can be foxed easily (ar trigger pack!!)

First time at the range the gun ran great! Felt familiar and comfortable. Then while running a shoot house I noticed what I thought was a burst. No big deal, just my imagination. I let some friends try it out and definitely had multiple 3-5 shot bursts. I contacted Bushmaster the next day and within minutes they sent me a shipping label and she was off to be fixed. The good news is that it is just as accurate as any other AR.

Two weeks later I received the rifle back with a heavier firing pin and spring. So far it works great. But my rear mbus site broke at some point so bushmaster promptly sent me a new rear AND FRONT site.

One huge bummer is that you can't change the grip out on the lower. The good news is that multiple lowers will be offered soon. The upper has the S/N which is kind of cool also.

I have tried the AFG 1 and AFG 2. I think the 1 is a better fit and feel.

SO0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0OO0O now if they would finally release the different calibers

Questions comments concerns?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is that a storage compartment in the top of the stock?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It holds 123 batteries inside the folding area. The piece on top is an adjustable cheek piece.
    ________
    Maryjane

Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep us posted. Has BM dropped the price yet? Any projection date for the 6.8?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the update and detailed photos! Look forward to more updates as they come in!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hadn't ever seen the end of the folding part, so I never knew it had a compartment tucked in there. That's a great touch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by tac40 View Post
    Keep us posted. Has BM dropped the price yet? Any projection date for the 6.8?
    Rumor has it that the 6.8 will be any day now. BUT I doubt it will be before the 1st of the year. The price actually was not a problem for me. I got this in a trade. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I hadn't ever seen the end of the folding part, so I never knew it had a compartment tucked in there. That's a great touch.
    Yup, if only I used 123 batteries for something

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The-S View Post
    Yup, if only I used 123 batteries for something
    Toss a white light on there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    true story!

I have been debating on what to add to this, its already 6.5 lbs

Downloads
    Uploads
    Riflegear has ACR's and SCAR's in stock. I went there two weeks ago and all of the ACR's were taken off the wall.

I asked why, and the owner informed me about the recall - same trigger issue that you were having.

Apparently Bushmaster is on the ball, they recalled every suspect rifle and they are taking care of it.

After handling both rifles, I thought the SCAR had a better balance and feel but I wasn't crazy about the reciprocating charger.

Did you look at the SCAR and compare the two? If you did, I would like to know specifically why you chose the ACR.

(Yes I am thinking about buying one or the other.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great question. I did look at the scar. Short answer the decision rested on the fact the ACR is made in the states. The scar felt bulky, the controls felt a little different and the gun did not feel natural. The ACR also is easier to change calibers and take apart. The non reciprocating charging handle was a huge plus! The scar doesn't have ambi controls either. Now is the scar a bad gun, NO. Like I said earlier this being the first run for the ACR I have expected little problems or issues with the unit. Hope this helps. What all did you notice when you compared the two?

Bushmaster is deff on the problem and has taken care of me. I am overly pleased with the turn around time and customer service I received.
    ________
    Post Starcraft 2 Replays

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great chart!

My initial impression after holding them both - the SCAR felt more balanced but I should add that the ACR I compared it to was the "enhanced" config, which might be why it felt muzzle heavy compared to the SCAR.

Yours has a completely different handguard, so I'm assuming it's a little lighter than the enhanced model.

As for the controls, they both felt good as far as the ergonomics go but I'd have to say I preferred the grip on the ACR.

The reciprocating charging handle on the SCAR is a huge turn off so it's looking the ACR would be a better choice, for me anyway.

I'm gonna have to go hold one with a basic handguard like yours and see how it feels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The one thing that I like about the SCAR over the ACR is that the barrel has the windage and elevation adjustments on the barrels, so you can just swap out any barrels with minimal zero shift. Everything else, I like the ACR.