Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I personally have uppers in 10.3, 11.5, and 12.5 waiting patiently for the day my BCM lower is no longer a paperweight. If I could only have one ...the 12.5 noveske chf & Nsr combo would be hard to deny

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    But as Slippers was saying the balance matters, which was something I didn't think about.

My concept of the SBR though will be a ducking, dodging, running, hiding behind a car, quick target acquisition, reliably shooting type of gun. Not that I ever plan on it, but it would be more like a street fighting gun more or less.

The concept of my other upper got me exactly what I wanted. I can shoot sub MOA and I am confident I can hit targets 600 yards or more no problem. With an SBR I wouldn't be worried about any of that. I want a completely different concept of gun.
    This is why I said what I did about trying to figure out which length is "better." It's like asking which is better: a SUV or a pickup? They both can do similar things, but one might be better suited to your actual needs. In the case of barrels, it's more about how it's made than the length. Gas port and profile are the two main ones, IMO.

Gas port because it can affect how it will run with specific ammo, and whether it's suppressed or not. I'm not a huge fan of having to play with gas blocks. For me personally, I'd rather just start with a port that's built to spec. Then again, I don't shoot Tula, so I'm generally not worried about underpowered ammo.

Barrel profile can have just as much to do with balance as length. I have a 10.3, a 11.5, and a 12.5. With the 10.3 (M4 profile) and a can, it's very nice to hold and only slightly nose heavy. The 11.5" would be the best all around balance with and without a can, but I have a "standard" profile BCM barrel on it, which heads weight, along with a piston system that's on there, which makes it more of a pig. Add a can, and it's very nose heavy. My 12.5" is an absolute dream to shoot unsuppressed. Super light, well balanced with the rail and profile, and super reliable. Add a can, and it gets a bit nose heavy.

Out of all of those, there's no "wrong" choice. They're all accurate, have no trouble hitting Minute of Steel at 200m and beyond, and run great with spec ammo. But they each have they're peculiarities because of their other traits beyond barrel length.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone got any rounds through this barrel yet?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I plan to this weekend....if life does not throw any crazy stuff at me from now until then. I finished a build and am itching to try it out.
    "I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Downloads
    Uploads
    On an off topic, but still related to SBRs, would an A5 type buffer system be advisable with a 12.5 middy barrel like this? Or for that matter a 14.5 middy?

I have a BCM A5 kit, but since I have never used a system like that i'm sketched to use it for the 14.5" middy noveske build it was planned for

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    On an off topic, but still related to SBRs, would an A5 type buffer system be advisable with a 12.5 middy barrel like this? Or for that matter a 14.5 middy?

I have a BCM A5 kit, but since I have never used a system like that i'm sketched to use it for the 14.5" middy noveske build it was planned for
    Chris Reeves from Triarc did not recommend the A5 for the 12.5" mid-length. There are some reports of 14.5" mid-lengths not cycling properly with A5's also.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I plan to this weekend....if life does not throw any crazy stuff at me from now until then. I finished a build and am itching to try it out.
    Look forward to seeing your results.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Chris Reeves from Triarc did not recommend the A5 for the 12.5" mid-length. There are some reports of 14.5" mid-lengths not cycling properly with A5's also.
    I've seen nothing but positive reports of the A5 with bcm 14.5 middys. It does depend on which buffer you use, but the A5 is far more forgiving. It took me a long time, but I finally switched over all my carbine lowers since they are much more flexible when going from suppressed to unsuppressed, and I don't use adjustable gas blocks.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I plan to test it with several buffer weights and an A5 buffer.
    "I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I've seen nothing but positive reports of the A5 with bcm 14.5 middys. It does depend on which buffer you use, but the A5 is far more forgiving. It took me a long time, but I finally switched over all my carbine lowers since they are much more flexible when going from suppressed to unsuppressed, and I don't use adjustable gas blocks.
    I personally do not run an A5, but I have read reports of some cycling issues on the other sites. But my BCM 14.5" mid-length will short stroke with steel case ammo like Tula, and that is with a carbine extension and H buffer.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone have any rounds down range yet?

Anyone suppressing theirs?

Anyone that hasn't built theirs up able to measure the gas port size?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't shot mine yet, the main reason is I don't have it set up. Right now it's matted with a KX5 and a MML handguard, and I'd rather run it with a correct length handguard without a KX5 and with a can. We're slowly packing for a move, and I've been swamped with other things, so it's probably going to be awhile until I get some lead down range with mine. Hopefully Doc will get his up and running before I do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, I've run a Triarc 12.5" Middy with VLTOR A5, with no issues-both suppressed and unsuppressed. That being said, I run 5.56x45 ammo, not .223, which may make a difference. Survey size of one though...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine is built, I have 3 different buffers and an A5 buffer to try it. I have two different cans I will use also. I just need to get some range time with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Rainier Arms UltraMatch .223 Wylde Mid Barrel - 12.5"

I personally do not run an A5, but I have read reports of some cycling issues on the other sites. But my BCM 14.5" mid-length will short stroke with steel case ammo like Tula, and that is with a carbine extension and H buffer.

I had planned to run the bcm A5 Kit and then play around with different combos until hopefully it ran well with either a 16 or 14.5 middy upper. But now I'm not so sure..

Would I be better served tearing down my factory bcm lower in favor of the A5? It's on a form 1 and will see lots of flavors of uppers
    Last edited by DutyUse; 5 June 2015 at 06:18.