Thread: EOTECH HWS?

Downloads
    Uploads

EOTECH HWS?

Anyone have any experience with model 512.A65/1 ?
    I'm looking for a sight and can't make up my mind.
    Going on a Noveske 7.62 x 51 N6 Leonidas 12.5" barrel iron sights.
    Looking for some feedback.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the EOTechs and the 512 is a good base model. I had one on an M4 for a little over a year, I now have a 552... but I would hold out for the EOTech XPS though....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used a 512.A65 for about 4 years until it was stolen. Great optic. I dialed it in once it remained zeroed without any readjustments. Thats pretty impressive! Just bought a 553 for the new gun. For the price it is a durable, battle proven optic that is extremely reliable.
    Adversity introduces us to ourselves

Facebook: Loess Hills Tactical

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I like the EOTechs and the 512 is a good base model. I had one on an M4 for a little over a year, I now have a 552... but I would hold out for the EOTech XPS though....

Unless you are planning on using NV the 552 is a big PITA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by travclem View Post
    How is it a PITA it works exactly the same as the 512?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been using a 512 for several years on my duty carbine. The current Rev F has decent battery life and I like the reticle for what I do. With that said, Aimpoints blow EOTech out of the water on battery life. Overall, I think Aimpoints are more durable as well. If possible, test drive one prior to buying.

Downloads
    Uploads

I give up, how is it a PIA?

Downloads
    Uploads
    How is it a PITA it works exactly the same as the 512?
    I have had batteries die because in NV mode you cant tell if it's on or not by looking at it. You just have to take special care to make sure it is off. Unless you are going to run NV why have NV mode for $100 more? I dont see how the 552 is an upgrade unless you have NV.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had batteries die because in NV mode you cant tell if it's on or not by looking at it. You just have to take special care to make sure it is off. Unless you are going to run NV why have NV mode for $100 more? I dont see how the 552 is an upgrade unless you have NV.

I don't see how it could have died as the 552 like the 551 wont just stay on until the batteries run down. They will turn off after 4 or 8 hours depending on which button you push to turn it on. With about 200 hours of battery life you would have to turn it on and leave it on at least 25 times to run the batteries dead.

I have a 512 and a 552 and I have never had a problem with the NV setting, I always check all my optics are off with a visual after shooting so I very rarely leave one on anyway.

I run both with Lithium AA batteries and have never had a problem.

Cameron

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't see how it could have died as the 552 like the 551 wont just stay on until the batteries run down. They will turn off after 4 or 8 hours depending on which button you push to turn it on. With about 200 hours of battery life you would have to turn it on and leave it on at least 25 times to run the batteries dead.

I have a 512 and a 552 and I have never had a problem with the NV setting, I always check all my optics are off with a visual after shooting so I very rarely leave one on anyway.

I run both with Lithium AA batteries and have never had a problem.

Cameron
    I was unaware of the automatic shutoff. I dont know why my batteries where dying then. My mistake, disreguard my previous posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am really anxious to see the reports and tests on the new XPS systems!! I hope it resolves any issues people have with their EOTechs. That circle dot is really fast and if the reliability stands the testing of individuals, I will definitely get one!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was disappointed that the battery life on the XPS didn't take a big jump. The 512 is rated at 1,000 hrs (with lithium batts) and the XPS is 600 hrs. At least its much better than the 511's lousy 200 hr rating.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was unaware of the automatic shutoff. I dont know why my batteries where dying then. My mistake, disreguard my previous posts.
    Based on other anecdotal reports, I'd bet you were dealing with a unit that was defective and plagued with battery drain while powered down. I've seen enough reports on various boards that claimed poor battery ife, much worse than what EoTech specified. One guy on arfcom rigged up some electrical meters to his unit, and it demonstrated battery drain, even while powered down.

I can't say for certain that's what was happening in your case, but it sure fits the pattern. And in closing, the challenge in all this is determining what the design or manufacturing defect issue really is. Not all units exhibit the baterry drain problem, so I'm not so sure it's a desgn defect, but maybe a manufcacuring defect or perhaps a batch of bad parts. That's just conjecture though.

My 512 doesn't exhibit this problem, I use lithium AA's and it's always powered up. The last set have been in the unit over a year and it still powers right up.

The new XPS's look like a step in the right direction. Smaller profile, and the battery is mounted transversely, which should address the momentary shutdown-under-recoil "feature" of some of the older units (that's another deal though).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Based on other anecdotal reports, I'd bet you were dealing with a unit that was defective and plagued with battery drain while powered down. I've seen enough reports on various boards that claimed poor battery ife, much worse than what EoTech specified. One guy on arfcom rigged up some electrical meters to his unit, and it demonstrated battery drain, even while powered down.

I can't say for certain that's what was happening in your case, but it sure fits the pattern. And in closing, the challenge in all this is determining what the design or manufacturing defect issue really is. Not all units exhibit the baterry drain problem, so I'm not so sure it's a desgn defect, but maybe a manufcacuring defect or perhaps a batch of bad parts. That's just conjecture though.

My 512 doesn't exhibit this problem, I use lithium AA's and it's always powered up. The last set have been in the unit over a year and it still powers right up.

The new XPS's look like a step in the right direction. Smaller profile, and the battery is mounted transversely, which should address the momentary shutdown-under-recoil "feature" of some of the older units (that's another deal though).
    could be. My 512 doesnt do it Only my 552 did.