Downloads
    Uploads

TLR-1 Switch modification

After seeing Quib's photo of modding his tail switch on the TLR-1, I shot him a couple of questions this morning, and got started on my own project.

Here's the inspiring picture:

Tools:

1/16 allen wrench
    long file
    needle file
    emery boards
    (in my case:)
    Dremel with cutoff wheel
    Soldering iron

Initially, I thought I could get away with using a jigsaw blade and take my time, but the plastic is pretty hard, and I switched to the dremel pretty quick.

Remove your tailcap and use the allen wrench to remove the small bolt holding the switch. You will have to gently pull up, as the switch has two locating tabs under it.

Instead of going flat with mine, I still wanted to retain "nubs" as my setup requires a pull for constant on, and a push for momentary. Use a pencil to mark off the length you're after.

Again, I tried to handcut these to be a bit more presice without the melted mess yet just because it did fine on SCAR panels, the switch lever will not cooperate. Dremel the tabs off along your mark. Something of note, the tabs appear to be hollow, I'm OK with that

This will be the longest part of the job, cleaning the modified area. Use your fine long file to drag and round the cut edges, the needle file for the spots your file will not get, then the emery boards for finish. I ended up with the basic shape I was after in a few minutes per side.

Grab your soldering iron, or, if you cut them flat, this would be where you could apply grip tape as in Quib's picture at the start of this post. I used a battery operated one since this was a quick simple job. Not as clean as some, but gets the job done.

Then, once satisfied, reinstall your switch with the bolt and test.

Lights have been on the brain for a few days, and no more accidental momentary "ons" when grabbing the weapon. Just as easy to get on with or without gloves, yet I have to make it go to momentary. Works for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good job GS!

Thanks for taking the time to write up a tutorial!

Downloads
    Uploads
    No problem, thanks for the idea!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GriffonSec View Post
    No problem, thanks for the idea!

Always happy to exchange ideas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very Nice write-up - thanks.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, for sharing. Very nice job.
    What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great idea guys. This makes the TLR1 a better option now. I ran one for a while but kept killing batteries while the gun was in the carrying case from light AD's.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Great idea guys. This makes the TLR1 a better option now. I ran one for a while but kept killing batteries while the gun was in the carrying case from light AD's.
    LOL....been there.

I contemplated the installation of a Kydex switch guard to the TLR-1 to prevent accidental light activation. After running out of mounting ideas for the guard, I figured the next best option would be modifying the switch itself.

I see the ease of switch activation and thin thumb nut as the two weak spots of the TLR-1 design, and felt both needed addressing.

http://http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1578-TLR1-Thumb-Nut-Modification-Rev.-(A)