Downloads
    Uploads

Leupold Mk.4 MR/T 2.5-8x36mm M2 or Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32 NXS Compact

I'm putting together a Recce style rifle and am trying to decide between a Leupold Mk.4 MR/T 2.5-8x36mm M2 illuminated reticle or a Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32 NXS Compact. This is the top of my price point.

Anyway, the rifle is a BCM M4 5.56 with a 16" stainless Krieger barrel with 1/8 twist being mostly used between 100 to 400 yards. If anyone that has experience with both scopes can chime in with pros and cons of each, I'd be grateful.

One other thing is the Nightforce has a very wide selection of reticles (the illuminated Leupy pretty much looks like mil dot is the only choice). I'd go mil dot on the Nightforce, but some of the other reticles such as the LV Velocity 600 look interesting. However, I'm spending too much to pick "interesting" if it is a bad choice. I like the Velocity reticle since the holdover looks like it is very simple and straight forward.

So, again, anyone with experience on the Nightforce reticles, please chime in with suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't help you with the Leupold, but as a NF 2.5-10x32 owner I recommend you get matching turrets to whichever reticle you choose. I have the NP-R2 with MOA turrets, non-zero stop, that I picked up used for a great deal last year. I have also used the mil-dot reticle version with mil turrets and zero stop. Sorry, I don't have experience with the velocity reticles.

My main complaint is the smallish exit pupil at 10x due to the 32mm objective, which makes for a slightly tight eye box. I knew this going into it as I tried one out locally before purchasing, though (and you can also do the math 32/10 = 3.2mm exit pupil). You definitely cannot expect to run it at 10x as the light levels fall in the evening and your pupil dilates beyond 3.2mm. At lesser magnifications it is very comfortable to sit behind. I also wish the focus adjustment was a "fast focus" style but it's not like you have to change it after initial setup.

The capped turrets have very distinct cilcks and zeroing them is easy with an allen wrench.

I see sportoptics has an HV velocity 600 on sale for $1171, if you like the reticle. You can also find used ones for about $1000 if you're patient, and the warranty transfers with the scope.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good information---thank you. I have been leaning towards the NF for the turret-reticle match and the zero stop.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have basically the same setup as Slippers, including the NP-R2 Reticle. His overview is spot on. The optic shines in my opinion on the lower magnifications, but that's fine with me as I don't normally shoot past 200-300 yards. Before I got the optic, I read reviews online that the optic was unforgiving, which it is. However, I bought mine used and couldn't pass up the price. I also really love my NF 1-4, which is the other reason I decided to take the plunge.

I don't have much experience with the Leupold Line, but have always wanted to try the MK4 line. I'd be curious to see what your impressions were if you end up getting one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    UWone---thank you. I've pretty much decided, based on what I've read here and on other forums where I posed the same question, that I am going with the NF. Better glass quality, turret-reticle match, zero stop are all benefits of the NF and the price difference is minimal.

I've heard the illumination in both the NF and Leupy are about the same----good but not great. However, the illum is not a deal breaker for me since I don't anticipate I'll be doing a whole lot of twilight shooting. From the reports I've read, the illum on both is more than adequate for "dark areas" in an otherwise daytime setting.

But since you brought up the 1-4x24, I was considering that scope as well and pretty much moved on mainly because I see a lot of them for sale second hand, which I took to suggest the owners were not happy with them. The compact size of the 1-4 is attractive, but the rifle will mostly be used for medium range shooting and not CQB or used in a carbine course. I have an M4 equipped with a T-1 for carbine course use.
    Last edited by TopHat; 30 August 2014 at 07:54.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know you're just asking about the two scopes, but I'm going to be that guy and add a third option...

When I started putting together a plan for an 18" SPR-ish gun (which eventually turned into a full blown MK12, minus the NF), I was looking at the Leupold, the NF, the Vortex, and the IOR Valdalda 2.5-10 FFP. After doing lots of reading and talking to a few people (like Scott at Liberty Optics), I eventually settled on the IOR. I've been very happy with it, but a few months ago, I started to get the itch to make my MK12 more "correct" and looked at the NF 2.5-10. At the end of the day, the IOR is only 1 oz more than the NF, is FFP (the NF isn't), has a better reticule (for my use...I like mil/mil), and was several hundred dollars cheaper for a great image (in my eyes). I've also found it to be more forgiving, as well, like UWone mentioned.

I wrote a small review of it up here on Wevo, if you're interested. Just putting out another option to consider.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys for taking the time to help me out with this decision.

I think I'm going to go with the NF.