Thread: CMMG barrels???

Downloads
    Uploads

CMMG barrels???

I've got a couple sets of Mega Arms Ambi Billet receiver sets that have been sitting around for months because I can't decide what I want to do with them. Thinking one may end up more of a longer range shooter and therefore looking at 18" barrels. Anyone have any experience/comments regarding the CMMG barrels available at Brownell's? How about other barrel recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are a few questions for you.

What's the purpose of your rifle(s)? Distance you consider long range?

Are you building them both the same?

Budget?

I could think of worse problems to have than having a couple of "extra" sets of Mega Billet sets

Downloads
    Uploads
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Look at Voodoo Innovations. Also guaranteed MOA barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Here are a few questions for you.

What's the purpose of your rifle(s)? Distance you consider long range?

Are you building them both the same?

Budget?

I could think of worse problems to have than having a couple of "extra" sets of Mega Billet sets

The reason I have two Mega billet sets is a long story; I'll just leave it at that...lol.

Purpose: I am not LE or military; so these won't be job related. Other than the fact that I simply love variety, having lots of guns, shooting guns, and tinkering around with guns, I like having multiple home defense options available. I shot Service Rifle competition for a few years back in the early 90s, and have been messing with ARs ever since. I've acquired lots of tools and built several ARs since those early days. Current line up, (guns I've built), is a basic black M4 style carbine with Magpul MBUS sights. and another M4 style carbine with Magpul FDE furniture and a Vortex Optics Strikefire red/green dot backed up with Magpul MBUS sights. I also just finished a 7.62x39 upper with a Yankee Hill Machine barrel and flash hider and a Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS Series handguard. More than likely I'll build out a lower for that so I don't have a half rifle sitting around. I guess as much as anything I'm looking for ideas on builds.

Long range for me? I am considering anything over probably 200 yards "long range". In Service Rifle I shot a Bushmaster A2 National Match gun. Nowadays I can barely even get a rear sight in focus. So a scope will be a definite for me.

Both sets need not be same builds. As I said earlier, I like variety. In fact, I'd like to build each set into a unique, different gun from the other(s). I've been thinking about a pistol build, but I think I'll be ordering an Aero Precision pistol marked lower and most likely an Aero upper and handguard for that. That is unless someone gives me a good reason to use one of the Mega sets for a pistol build.

Budget is not really a concern. These are wants, not needs, so no time frame or dollar limit is in effect. I'd rather take my time and spend the money to get all the good stuff than to compromise and not really have it what I want. By the same token if I can spend less on a comparable component like a barrel and put the savings into other parts, so much the better.

GOST and DMViergever, thanks for your suggestions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you looked into doing a 6.5 Grendel build?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Have you looked into doing a 6.5 Grendel build?
    No sir. I want something with more easily available/affordable ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If money is no object, then I would look at a Noveske RECCE Barrel. I didn't catch if you were thinking about hard use barrel or this will be leaning towards a benchrest barrel, since you want to shoot for distance. In that case, maybe look at Stainless Barrels.

If looking at a pistol, 300BLK always shines in a short barrel, but if you want to keep with the 5.56 theme, I've had good luck with Daniel Defense 10.3" Barrels as well as Rainier UltraMatch 8.5" and 10.5" Barrels and of course Noveske 10.5" and arguably their best barrel, the 12.5" Crusader.

Right now if you're looking for things like barrels, you're in luck. Tons of great manufacturers to choose from, and a lot of them are at great prices not seen pre-Sandy Hook. Stock up while the market is down.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I built a .308 on the CMT Billet set for a friend of mine who wanted an AR style rifle but wanted a long range paper puncher as well as knockdown power for hog hunting in Texas. I used the Rainier Arms Select polygonal rifled barrel in 20". He's shooting 1" groups at 200 yards with handloads. I like the Rainier Arms barrels. I will look into the Noveske barrel, but for the usage it will get, might be more than I need to spend.

Would you do a pistol build on the Mega billet set, or get something like the Aero Precision set for a pistol build and keep the Mega for another rifle build?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    I built a .308 on the CMT Billet set for a friend of mine who wanted an AR style rifle but wanted a long range paper puncher as well as knockdown power for hog hunting in Texas. I used the Rainier Arms Select polygonal rifled barrel in 20". He's shooting 1" groups at 200 yards with handloads. I like the Rainier Arms barrels. I will look into the Noveske barrel, but for the usage it will get, might be more than I need to spend.

Would you do a pistol build on the Mega billet set, or get something like the Aero Precision set for a pistol build and keep the Mega for another rifle build?
    I have 2 pistol lowers, both built on Pistol Marked forged Mega Lowers (Pistol marked is not obviously required). Maybe it's just a looks/aesthetics thing, but not a big fan of billet pistols.

I'd use the Billet sets for whatever you want, I think I have mine built up with a MKM Upper and a 14.5" suppressed setup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have 2 pistol lowers, both built on Pistol Marked forged Mega Lowers (Pistol marked is not obviously required). Maybe it's just a looks/aesthetics thing, but not a big fan of billet pistols.

I'd use the Billet sets for whatever you want, I think I have mine built up with a MKM Upper and a 14.5" suppressed setup.
    Thanks for the feedback. I actually ordered a pistol marked lower and some other goodies from Aero Precision today on their July 4th sale deal. 15% off and free shipping! I had to take advantage of it! I'm thinking at least a 10.5" or 12.5" barrel for the pistol so I have a carbine length gas system. Anyone have input on that?

My .308 Aero Precision receiver set will be here later this week...haven't even begun to spec out a parts list for that yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I actually ordered a pistol marked lower and some other goodies from Aero Precision today on their July 4th sale deal. 15% off and free shipping! I had to take advantage of it! I'm thinking at least a 10.5" or 12.5" barrel for the pistol so I have a carbine length gas system. Anyone have input on that?

My .308 Aero Precision receiver set will be here later this week...haven't even begun to spec out a parts list for that yet.
    I like to go 10.5" for Pistols. I've had some shorter like 7.5" but they didn't really seem to run reliably without some tuning and even then...

Any longer than 10.5" to me seems too long for a "pistol" Personal preference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like to go 10.5" for Pistols. I've had some shorter like 7.5" but they didn't really seem to run reliably without some tuning and even then...

Any longer than 10.5" to me seems too long for a "pistol" Personal preference.
    Reliable functioning and muzzle velocity are the two concerns at the forefront for me. With respect to muzzle velocity, from what I was reading in the NFA/SBR forum here, 12.5" seems to be the minimum barrel length to get adequate muzzle velocity for fragmentation. Is that still true today?