Downloads
    Uploads

What is your favorite shooting drill?

I'm interested in what your favorite, or maybe couple of favorite shooting drills are. Pistol or rifle, long distance or up close, reloads, malfunctions, speed or just plain accuracy, what drill really seems to be one you keep striving to beat or just really enjoy shooting?

If you've got video of the drill being shot, that gets you extra style points, otherwise give us a description and a time or score you think sets a good standard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The one I keep striving to beat is the "dot torture" drill I found on Pistol-Training.com (which came from David Blinder personaldefensetraining.com) I don't do well on it...................

http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know if these are drills, but I focus on trigger pull and my breathing, along with shooting lefty...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CLBME View Post
    The one I keep striving to beat is the "dot torture" drill I found on Pistol-Training.com (which came from David Blinder personaldefensetraining.com) I don't do well on it...................

http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture
    I'm digging this! I assume target size is 8.5x11?

A few more good drill posts like this one and I'd recommend a sticky for the thread!
    Hatter

Took a little hiatus... good to be back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes it is. I do alright at the 3yd line but when I get back to 7/10yds I fall apart before I am done............

Here are a lot more from Todd's site:

http://pistol-training.com/drills

I use his drills whenever I can and try to end with the F.A.S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
    I'm digging this! I assume target size is 8.5x11?

A few more good drill posts like this one and I'd recommend a sticky for the thread!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My go to drill is 1" dot drills with my handgun. I started at 3 yards and I am now out to 4 yards. Those dots got small FAST!

5 dots per row, focus on a different fundamental each row, 3 shots per dot (unless I feel cheap, which is most of the time, then 1 shot per dot) then combine everything for a row or 2.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For carbine I am digging Kyle Defoor's standards tests: http://www.kyledefoor.com/2012/02/de...ing-tests.html They really test out your accuracy under stress.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Same as Nick here, the Defoor standards that incorporate a strenuous activity with shooting & distance, are the drills that I love to work on.
    I also really like the Mod. Navy Qual for carbine and many of the pistol drills mentioned on Todds site above. I like to shoot the VTAC 1/2 & 1/2 with pistol by keeping the same distances but increasing the times to something that makes it challenging for me.
    Matthew 10:28

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great thread. I'm anxious to see what becomes of this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a couple that can be used in indoor ranges without shooter movement that focus on weapon manipulation, accuracy, and speed. Using targets either printed on 8.5"x11" paper or what you can purchase at the range of choice, focus from going from high or low ready position and place a two shot string in the center mass of the target. Using reduced size silhouettes, start at 5-7 yards and progress out to the limits of the range as your speed and accuracy improve. Always manipulate the weapon's safety from safe>fire when bringing the rifle up to shooting position, and reverse the process when going back to low or high ready before shooting the next string. Using dummy rounds, you can also incorporate malfunction drills and tactical magazine changes as your skills progress. The next variation involves lateral target placement at the same ranges. Use your targets, target spots, or 3"x5" cards to arrange your engagement in a left to right fashion, still incorporating weapon manipulation and rapid engagement of targets. In my opinion, you only need to be able to shoot as fast as you can hit, so speed will come as your practice and skills progress.

For immediate downrange feedback at home, you can use a high quality airsoft rifle to perform the same drills in your empty garage or back yard with immediate feedback from engagement of plastic targets or various paper targets arrayed in width and depth in your area. With airsoft, you can set an expensive rifle up the same way as your duty or SHTF weapon and train for pennies compared to using live ammo. Remember safety and weapon manipulation, treating the airsoft rifle like your lethal bullet launcher. Have fun and be safe!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the new pistol came new drills. The first one I like is the strip target. Getting used to a pistol again and it really helped me get a consistent trigger pull untill all of my rounds hit the stripe instead of being off to the left and the right. As I am rusty with shooting the sidearm I pulled down the drills from Haley Strategic. Now the lucky charms drill was fun but the twister drill and the dot progression drill really got me to concentrate on target, sights, trigger pull. I am slow and only shooting at the target from about 5 yards. But I want to become consistent and accurate. I will work up speed then move back and start all over.