Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red Dot Mounting Choices

I have never really ran a red dot on anything so I am asking the guys with a bit more insight and experience to share their opinions.

Here is the question...assume I pick a really good red dot, lets say an Aimpoint T1 or something along those lines. However I see there are several different ways to mount it. I see people mounting them at all different places along the rail at all different heights. Specifically I am asking about a 1x with a 4 moa dot, but no need to limit the discussion to just that. What about dots with magnification? Would they be done any differently?

The discussion or opinions I would like to have is why you put your mounts where they are and why did you pick the height you picked?

I am sure a lot of it is preference but are there merits to doing it one way vs another?

I see people with their dots right on the rail. I also see people with tall mounts. Basically the two parameters are height and placement.

My thought is that shooting with a 1x dot in a dynamic environment is a different school entirely than shooting with a scope.

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eye relief isn't as important on a red dot as it is with a scope. Also, hight above the bore isn't as critical either; YMMV. You spend good cake on a primo optic, don't go cheap on the mount. With better mounts you gain the ability to return to zero when removing and replacing teh optic on your rail, given you put it in the same place. Lesser oprics have a decrease in this ability, and the mount plays a role.

Let me qualify that with I have always used red dots and am only just now moving into higher quality optics myself, at this point in my life, its not a career influence, more an enthusiast/financial one. :)
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Eye relief isn't as important on a red dot as it is with a scope. Also, hight above the bore isn't as critical either; YMMV. You spend good cake on a primo optic, don't go cheap on the mount. With better mounts you gain the ability to return to zero when removing and replacing teh optic on your rail, given you put it in the same place. Lesser oprics have a decrease in this ability, and the mount plays a role.
    I don't go cheap. That's my downfall :) As for right now I am really not asking about specific mounts as in brands or whatever. I am asking about the school of thought behind where and how high you mount that kind of an optic and why. It's more of an abstract question sort of.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like to use 1/3 height mounts for my RDS's. As for where you mount your RDS that's just personal preference. Some of the options with smaller objective lenses if they are mounted far out make it slightly more difficult for me to acquire the dot. The T1 is a great optic but I prefer a RDS with a larger objective lense, especially when shooting around barricades.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd say it's pretty much what you're comfortable with as far as how high and how far forward. The height is often dictated by a blend of what you can see shouldered vs. un-shouldered and with a cheek weld. The farther forward you can tolerate, the better your two eyes-open sight picture will be: ie less interference from the barrel of the optic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gost is right about barricades: nothing beats the big window on an EOTech for inching around a corner to get a peek at a bad guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I like to use 1/3 height mounts for my RDS's. As for where you mount your RDS that's just personal preference. Some of the options with smaller objective lenses if they are mounted far out make it slightly more difficult for me to acquire the dot. The T1 is a great optic but I prefer a RDS with a larger objective lense, especially when shooting around barricades.
    Let's say you are shooting around barricades or are in a hallway trying to take out a bad guy... does not only the optic, but the height and placement of that optic have any bearing? I assume as you infer that a lot of this question does matter about the specific optic, but I am just trying to get a general sense of it.

I would also think it matters what kind of a stock you use as well. If I were to put an optic of any kind right on the rail I would have to raise the gun off my shoulder to get a site picture....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd say it's pretty much what you're comfortable with as far as how high and how far forward. The height is often dictated by a blend of what you can see shouldered vs. un-shouldered and with a cheek weld. The farther forward you can tolerate, the better your two eyes-open sight picture will be: ie less interference from the barrel of the optic.
    Now you are getting a bit warmer to what I am asking... 'the blend' of shouldered vs whatever... and really and truly for that kind of shooting what is considered 'correct'? I am very unfamiliar with 'tactical' shooting... no mall ninja here :)

Of course I have shot guns all my life but I have never been introduced to that aspect of it and what is 'right'.

With a scope you are wanting your head down with a good cheek weld and so forth. With an RDS style of optic around barriers and such I am not sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My preference for lower third co-witness emerged simply because the less cramped I can be, the better. I'm 6'-4" with a neck fusion, so I don't scrunch down like a wee folk! :D

Downloads
    Uploads
    My preference for lower third co-witness emerged simply because the less cramped I can be, the better. I'm 6'-4" with a neck fusion, so I don't scrunch down like a wee folk! :D
    So you're telling me you're an ogre? LOL!!!

I'll bet you could scrunch down and hide behind a fire hydrant if you needed to! LOL!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    You know... I would guess that choosing the right stock and mount combinations would make a huge difference... just thinking out loud....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Let's say you are shooting around barricades or are in a hallway trying to take out a bad guy... does not only the optic, but the height and placement of that optic have any bearing? I assume as you infer that a lot of this question does matter about the specific optic, but I am just trying to get a general sense of it.

I would also think it matters what kind of a stock you use as well. If I were to put an optic of any kind right on the rail I would have to raise the gun off my shoulder to get a site picture....
    I think that it would be best for you to get time behind different RDS setups. Picking an RDS and mounting preference isn't a science but finding what fits you best. What fits me may not work for you simply cause everyone is built different. If we all took our advise from the pics of a lot of instructors, most of us would be running T1's mounted as far forward as possible. This setup feels great in a shop to me, but isn't my preference. You're a bigger part of the equation than the mount, stock, RDS and mounting preference; can't make a science experiment out of everything.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even though that's my habit I am not trying to make a science project out of it Really.

I just want to see how other people do it or if they even thought about it.

Might give me some ideas. Of course everything will be personalized in the end.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My friends call me oaf. :D

I could fit behind a fire hydrant under the right circumstances, for example when bullets are flying the wrong direction!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have found that a "Lower Third" co-witness works best for me - I like that height for any RDS. I believe that comes from the fact that I actually favor a cross-hair, and the heights of my mounts are similar. I have a mix of Aimpoint PRO's and EOTech's (one SPARC II but it's 'different'). I mount both brands just forward enough to QD an EOTech 3x behind them. They work well in that position with or without the magnifier. I like having options.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"