Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As the 6mm turbo , 6mm ar , 6mm optimum., and more have already been done.

It’s a Niche wildcat found for the reloaded/hunter..

Also I hate it as they advertise it as a AR cartridge. Well most guys don’t use a 24” barrel.. StRt off with some 16/18” numbers...lol...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Grendel is still coming out with new rounds and guns at a pace better then the others. Just look around..not just IG...lol

The large frame AR’s are just that...large..10-12 lbs on the norm with many heavier..that’s a bench gun...all fine and good.. but many don’t want that, and this new 6mm arc is nothing new. Per say.
    Guys have been necking down grendel cases and such to 6mm for a while.

It’s all good..I ha d no true love in the grendel..it’s a good round for it’s intent.

6mm arc will have the same..

I only wish WA state has more ranges with longer distances.

I think all the small frame 6mm options are wildcats, so IMO Hornady is smartly capitalizing on the popularity of 6mm in the long distance paper punching circles and giving folks a factory / SAAMI option. From an initial look at the ballistics, I think this will develop a strong following in a certain segment.

I suspect the Grendel crowd is largely comprised of two groups: paper punchers who run really long barrels to squeze the performance out of the round, and hunters who stick to 16-18" barrels for field practicality. I see the 6 ARC as likely to catch the attention of the former but probably won't catch a lot of interest from the latter as a practical hunting distances the differences probably won't matter. Varmint hunters may be an exception.

I'm curious to see how it goes primarily as a reflection on Hornady's ability to bring a new round to market. Remington screwed up the 6.8 SPC to the point that its mishandling put a pretty severe handicap on adoption of an excellent round and Federal messed up with the Valk as a result of the barrel twist limitations. Nosler has done pretty well with their niche and Hornady knocked it out of the park with the Creedmoor. Hornady really has the best recent track record here so it seems they know what they are doing which by itself makes me pay attention the release of this cartridge.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    The other thing worth mentioning is that this has already apparently been adopted by some specific (unnamed) branch of the military. Military applications are a lot.
    That's what the headline said, but that's not what the article said. This seems to be the trend in gun rags to get clicks/eyeballs. What the article said is "...a DoD entitiy..." That doesn't mean "the military" or even a "branch of the military." That means someone contracted the purchase of this round/weapon system at some lot size. It could be a small lot size compared to DoD as a whole, and thus not help with public availability.

The fact that the entity isn't named seems to indicate that it's some much smaller unit than something purchased for a major military entity (like Crane or the Army's main procurement source).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    That's what the headline said, but that's not what the article said. This seems to be the trend in gun rags to get clicks/eyeballs. What the article said is "...a DoD entitiy..." That doesn't mean "the military" or even a "branch of the military." That means someone contracted the purchase of this round/weapon system at some lot size. It could be a small lot size compared to DoD as a whole, and thus not help with public availability.

The fact that the entity isn't named seems to indicate that it's some much smaller unit than something purchased for a major military entity (like Crane or the Army's main procurement source).
    My experience with the military is limited to asking family and friends or consulting Wikipedia so I have zero doubt you are probably correct. LOL

All that said, to have a solid intermediate cartridge like this is extremely appealing for my use and most likely the weekend precision competition market. How it could potentially help a military unit is out of my lane but it seems like a good step to help fix what others have been complaining about regarding. 223.

Basically having 308 ballistics out of a small frame AR works for me.

I am still going to follow this for a while to get true field results but as for now it seems to solve a "problem" for me. Namely I can get into this for so much cheaper overall than going to a large frame from scratch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to see the 8.6 Creedmoor hit paper, and get some real shooter's take on whether it'll put the hot one in the BG's hat from a fer piece, and run like a 300 blackout.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been doing a bit of reading and here is some more info/background that I found.

Originally the 6.5 Grendel was invented and released back in 2004 by Alexander Arms. From it's inception until late 2011, a full seven years, it was a non SAAMI cartridge that fell under Alexander Arms proprietary design restrictions. This means if people wanted to make something for a 6.5 Grendel, they had to work with Alexander Arms. Also consumers were stuck with one choice for the most part (at that time).

Seven years is a long time to spend as a proprietary round with only one company acting as the boss over the entire caliber.

On the other hand, from DAY ONE, the 6 ARC came out of the gate as an already SAAMI spec'ed round that other manufacturers can pick up on and use for design etc. In this regard it's sort of like MLOK. It was designed by magpul of course, but in a way it's semi sort of open source. In order to obtain SAAMI specs they have to give up trademarks so it can be a 'standardized' cartridge.

Basically from a business standpoint these two could not have been treated any differently. They were business wise polar opposites. Alexander Arms for good or bad, by trying to control the show stunted that cartridge's growth.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol

If you know grendel you know the story..somewhat..

You should build one of these and post some real numbers (for 16” barrels ) . Even though like the others, loaded longer in a rifle will do better..Hence there numbers..24” barrel...lolz

Plenty of people use the grendel in pistol platform for hunting boiler, as you know some states are dumb about there laws/rules. It does really well still out of a 12” barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First shots through his rifle:

https://youtu.be/Qg0XG8-Nzsk

And the full-length version:

https://youtu.be/-OdhAC2Zlbk

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m going to be shooting in a tactical division precision rifle series this coming year with my new build. If all goes well I’ll consider pulling a barrel from one of my current ARs and building a 6ARC for the following year

Downloads
    Uploads
    A bit on the cartridge and the Barrett REC7 rifle:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I’m going to be shooting in a tactical division precision rifle series this coming year with my new build. If all goes well I’ll consider pulling a barrel from one of my current ARs and building a 6ARC for the following year
    I'm not shooting any competitions yet, but I am already making plans to get this. I am letting the initial wave die down (plus I have other priorities at the moment) but I can see this replacing my 'precision' 223 upper. My 223/556 upper is very accurate, but the 6ARC will put it on steroids for it's intended purpose.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why? Unless your actually gonna use as intended..It won’t hardly do any difference inside 500 yards or so shooting against a good 223 load

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Why? Unless your actually gonna use as intended..It won’t hardly do any difference inside 500 yards or so shooting against a good 223 load
    It is somewhat specialized but may actually work well for deer and similar game. Something like a Barnes 85gr TTSX will probably be a good choice in this cartridge.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some velocity data from SBR configurations.

Name:  1410997173-6mm-ARC---Velocity-vs-Barrel-Length-infographic.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  33.0 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still not impressed...lol...12.5” Grendel with 107 averages about 2450-2550