Downloads
    Uploads

scope mount question

so I have a Nikon 1-4 scope that I would like to use with my AR. Thing is, while I have a folding rear sight, the front sight is a standard fixed sight. Obviously I won't be able to get the scope high enough to get the front sight out of the picture completely but I would at least like to get it in that lower 1/3rd. To save on money, I would rather go with some standard rings instead of a quick release mount, I just don't feel like spending $200 on a mount. Can anyone make some suggestions as to where I can get some pretty tall rings? Oh, the scope has a 1" tube.

Thanks in advance

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had good luck with these rings:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Vort...p/v-ring-h.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I've had good luck with these rings:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Vort...p/v-ring-h.htm
    they look nice, but I wonder if they are tall enough. the description says they will place the center of the tube at 1.22" above the rail. According to my measurement, which admittedly could be off, the aperture for the rear sight is at least an inch and a half above the rail, so I would assume the front post corresponds roughly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most ar-15 scope mounts are 1.4-1.5 high. The other issue is the front sight will interfere with sight picture. Most variable scopes in that range are not true one powers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeky73 View Post
    they look nice, but I wonder if they are tall enough. the description says they will place the center of the tube at 1.22" above the rail. According to my measurement, which admittedly could be off, the aperture for the rear sight is at least an inch and a half above the rail, so I would assume the front post corresponds roughly.
    Les Baer makes 1.5" tall scope rings. Might check that out, if that'll work for you.

FT.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post
    Most ar-15 scope mounts are 1.4-1.5 high. The other issue is the front sight will interfere with sight picture. Most variable scopes in that range are not true one powers.
    yep I knew it would be a challenge to make it work, and wondered if the scope would end up sitting too high to even be appropriate. But they used to mount optics on top of the carry handles, so I guess that is not so much a problem. I had this scope left over from a build that I sold, that had folding sights front and back, so it wasn't an issue. I just don't want to buy another optic, any more than I want to buy another $200 mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Les Baer makes 1.5" tall scope rings. Might check that out, if that'll work for you.

FT.
    those look nice....but they are $175 according to LB website. That is pretty steep for a pair of rings. I know that LB would be excellent quality, but....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have thought about a folding front sight gas block?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post
    Have thought about a folding front sight gas block?
    yeah, but the issue there is that I don't have the tools (anymore) to swap it myself, and the nearest gunsmith is an hour drive away, and he doesn't do same day work, so it means two trips there to get it done. On top of the cost of the gas block sight. and then I still have to buy rings. Hell, buying those Les Baer rings would be cheaper than all that, assuming they are tall enough :)

I may have to buy a rail riser to get the rings high enough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You know the other option is you could always get a used QD mount. I know I've picked up 1 or 2 ADM mounts over the years off of various boards for $100 or less.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You know the other option is you could always get a used QD mount. I know I've picked up 1 or 2 ADM mounts over the years off of various boards for $100 or less.
    Me also.......

They are worth every penny in my opinion..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know, for a fact that someone else builds one inch high rings, not really that uncommon for hunting rifles, especially with guy's shooting large AO scopes. Maybe try browsing Brownells. Brownells has always been expensive on their stuff, but usually you can find what you're looking for, specifically, then surf the net looking for them at a smaller "hungrier" online store. I know they used to sell a wide range of scope rings from Burris, Luepold, Redfield, etc...and you should certainly be able to find them for less than $175 at Les Baer. That is ridiculous.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks for all the help guys, I will post a picture of it when I get it figured out. In light of things, I may end up putting this scope on my little .357 mag bolt action and getting a Vortex or Lucid for this one. A red dot would probably be more appropriate on a carbine anyway.