Downloads
    Uploads

AR 7.62 barrel question - twist rate

So, what do you guys think of a 10.5" 7.62x39 barrel with a 1:8 twist rate versus one with a 1:10 twist rate?

Most 7.62x39 barrels are 1:10 twist. That's what most AK barrels are too. 1:8 twist for a 7.62x39 barrel seems quite unusual to me.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A 1:8 would stabilize heavier/longer bullets better - better for heavy subsonic loads. It may over stabilize lighter/shorter loads though. 1:10 is probably a little more versatile in 30 cal.

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Got a link to the barrel?
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    Got a link to the barrel?
    It's this one http://www.faxonfirearms.com/p/78/ar...carbine-length
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it's kinda weird (but not entirely unheard of) that they have 1/2-28 threads and 1:8 barrels. It's almost like the they copy/pasted the specs. I would call them and verify.

That being said, I would not want a 1:8 barrel, mainly because there are so many 1:10's out there that run just fine. I don't know that 1:8 would be an issue, but you'd need to be shooting some pretty heavy bullets to be in the correct range for that twist.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    I think it's kinda weird (but not entirely unheard of) that they have 1/2-28 threads...
    They're designing most of their stuff for a AR receiver platform verses an AK so they probably decided to stick with standard threads for a .30 caliber can on an AR platform.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It should be 5/8x24 threads on the end of the barrel. I don't think you'll find a muzzle device with the proper size opening in a 1/2x28 thread pattern.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like a copy and paste error to me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Looks like a copy and paste error to me.
    That's what I think too. I think they copied specs for a 5.56 barrel. I've sent them a message to ask them to clarify. I suspect they'll get back to me on Monday. The only other twist I've seen for a 7.62x39 barrel other than 1:10 is 1:9.5 and the barrel threads should be 5/8x24

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just an update.

I got a mail back from Faxon. The 1/2x28 thread listing was an error. It is indeed 5/8x24 and they've fixed it on their website with a thanks for catching it. The 1:8 twist they purposely chosen for the barrel since they felt that 1:10 wasn't enough stabilization and 7.62 bullet weights are closer in line to 300 blackout bullet weights which are typically around 143 grains. So, it sounds like a good barrel for me to use. I'll order one next month.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know, but I have a DPMS 7.62x39barrel with 1/2 in threads.. I just used a 3/8in drill bit to open my older Rainier arms comp. up. several thousand rnds and no problems. 30 cal brakes are hard to find!
    "Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom."- Alexis de Tocqueville

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by eldogg View Post
    I don't know, but I have a DPMS 7.62x39barrel with 1/2 in threads.. I just used a 3/8in drill bit to open my older Rainier arms comp. up. several thousand rnds and no problems. 30 cal brakes are hard to find!
    I find plenty of 30 cal brakes. Any for the .308 will work fine. .308 barrels are 5/8 x 24 threads. Troy even makes their Medieval Flash Suppressor with 5/8 x 24 for around 45 bucks. I've found a stainless steel birdcage I'll likely get for I think 23.50 with free shipping. I figure putting a stainless muzzle device on will complement the upper receiver. Faxon sent me a code to use for a 5% discount when I order the barrel as a thank you. If nothing else, that will likely mostly cover the shipping. I should be able to order it sometime next month before Christmas. If I can get the flash hider too before then, the gun will be finished except for the bolt and firing pin. I should also be able to get them too though by around Christmas.