Downloads
    Uploads

Green Tip Ammunition Education Needed

Can someone please straighten me out on 62 gn. green tip ammo.

1. With just about everyone having access to at least some type of body armor, say a plate holder and plate from the surplus shop, is this ammo even relevant anymore?

2. Both of my rifles have 1:7 in. twist. I'm working under the assumption that the green tip ammo was designed for short ranges, say 150 or less and much less for penetrating a plate. Will 1:7 twist stabilize this round, and is that question even relevant.

Any thing else you can tell me, or feel like adding, please do. Also, is the black tip available to civilians? I think it's got a tungsten tip?

I would just go buy a few boxes and rig up some tests at the range, but I can only find it in full cans around here, and I'd like to try a couple of rounds, say 100 or so, before committing to a whole ammo can, only to find it may not shoot worth a crap.

Thanks much in advance for your valuable time.

FT

PS... Those would be 16in barrels if it makes any difference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    2. 1:7 will work just fine. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken, but during the start up of OEF, M855 is what was issued. When it was realized that it wasn't the greatest round when dealing with guys in robes, and when MK262 was brought into the mainstream supply system, it went away. Even the Marines, America's penny-pinchers, were issuing MK262 by the end of the decade.

It's not match ammo, but your 1:7 will eat 55gr, 62gr and 77gr just fine. Interestingly, my MK12 really likes Federal M855, even though it was designed for MK262. I wouldn't be surprised if the rifle shot MOA with it if someone other than me was behind it. I was regularly getting 1.5 MOA, which is pretty damn good for bulk ammo.

One main reason why I don't generally shoot Green Tip is because of shooting steel. Either at an action rifle event or my own steel, I want to have something more friendly. Additionally, some ranges won't allow it to be shot out west due to a fire hazard. Just things to be aware of. If all you're shooting is paper in KY, I'm guessing it's not a big deal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, I'll keep trying to find a couple of boxes before I commit to a 500 rd can. Paper is about it here, no fire hazards, although our nearest outdoor range only has a few lanes for rifle, usually not busy, and Randy, the owner is pretty lenient as long as you adhere strictly to all safety rules. I'm sure he'd let me set up my own 12" X 12" mild steel targets, as long as I pack them out when I'm done testing. Thank you, but for some reason I can't really find accurate info. As an aside, I googled it, and ended up as a "guest" on some forums. Every other post was someone contradicting the next. Why I didn't come here first, I don't know, just old age and brain fade, I suppose.

Thanks again,

FT

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have lots and lots of XM855 ammo ranging from 2009 to 2013.

My Mark 12 consistently shoots 10 shot groups right around 2 inches. I think that is great for surplus ammo.

The XM855 was designed to penetrate Russian body armor back in the 80's. The U.S. Military still uses it in vast quantities in dusty places far away. For what it was designed to do it does very well. You over stabilize a steel penetrator core bullet into a piece of body armor/barrier and it penetrates it with out massive break up. In flesh though it does not break up. And that is where it has is big disadvantage in a military perspective.

The big complaints started to come in during the Somalia crisis. Reports of needing multiple shots to drop the "skinny's" led to the development of the MK262. SInce most of the armed forces had 1:7 twist barrels why not try the 77grain bullets out. From what i have seen only the special people get the MK262. I have seen the tungsten tip stuff. I doubt it will work much better than the XM855. Never did shoot it though so just pure speculation here. The only reason it is being produced is for NATO to become more humane. When a bad guy gets shot he won't get lead poisoning.

The XM855's are significantly longer than another bullet of comparable weight, due to the 10 grain steel section projectile in the bullet and require a 1:9 twist minimum.

I used to expect too much out of military ammo. Now i just love to shoot it off hand with my Colt M4 with a non free floated barrel. It is so light and plenty accurate enough when wobbling around out in the wind. For MOA shooting i go to my reloads or match bullets, and a different rifle.

I have shot a lot of rounds of XM855 with out having one ammunition problem.

Here is a link to another good article.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=519740

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by aklaunch View Post
    From what i have seen only the special people get the MK262.
    I was typing too fast on my first post... A couple of Marine FACs that I know and/or have worked with have said they were shooting MK262 from 2009-ish on. They were nothing high speed, just a regular infantry unit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info and "education".
    FT