Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Modbutton Help! (in stock)

I found some modbutton's in stock but I am not sure exactly what to choose.

My current light is a 300 series from Arisaka with a momentary tailcap.

On the modbutton though it offers a series of different tail caps. I am not sure what is compatible with my light.

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/produ...d-button-lite/

Maybe I'm an idiot and am looking at the total wrong product but worth a shot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They're all the same.

UE tail caps accept cable switches only. the DS caps are dual activation, switch and button.

I'd support getting the modlite button from Arisaka https://arisakadefense.com/search?q=switch

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    They're all the same.

UE tail caps accept cable switches only. the DS caps are dual activation, switch and button.

I'd support getting the modlite button from Arisaka https://arisakadefense.com/search?q=switch
    I've always bought all my lights from Slippers. Good call!!! Very good call! Thanks for the reminder.

I placed an order for a mod button plus the UE tail cap. I got it on a Black Friday deal too so I saved over $30 going with Arisaka.

I've been looking for these switches forever but they were always OOS...I just stumbled across it and found some in stock. That's another impulse buy. LOL!!! I am shopping for myself for Christmas this year I guess.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for the help BTW.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Didn’t see it mentioned. So Thought I would add some info.

The ModButton is the Aluminum Mount and button in one with intergrated wire lead

The ModButton “lite” is just the light switch with integrated wire

Both serve their purpose and I hope to finish up my setup with some of these parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Didn’t see it mentioned. So Thought I would add some info.

The ModButton is the Aluminum Mount and button in one with intergrated wire lead

The ModButton “lite” is just the light switch with integrated wire

Both serve their purpose and I hope to finish up my setup with some of these parts.
    I already have a very nice Arisaka offset mount so getting the one with the mount is not really required. The part I wasn't sure about was the tail cap for my light (which one) but UW got me lined out.

I've been wanting to get one of these for months but they were always gone. If I like it (which I probably will) I will get another entire light setup for my 300BLK rifle as well. On that rifle real estate is at a premium so this will allow me to work it out nicely I hope. In both cases I will be moving the light from the left side of the rifle (I have been thumb activating it with my left thumb on the tail cap which causes me to break my grip sort of) to the right side but still be able to keep a better grip while still thumb operating.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 29 November 2020 at 08:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You'll see these everywhere... (I'm assuming) as I believe Big Tex had an exclusive on those switches until 11/23, obviously that's passed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You'll see these everywhere... (I'm assuming) as I believe Big Tex had an exclusive on those switches until 11/23, obviously that's passed.
    I started looking in August and couldn't find anything at that time for quite some time. I guess the boat finally arrived or something. Hopefully they will be plentiful. In the future after I install this set up and run it a while I will buy a whole new light setup for my 300BLK provided this works out like I hope it does.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK...so I bought a new Surefire tail cap and a modbutton lite from Arisaka. I have to say that I am a bit underwhelmed with the modbutton lite. The tail cap is what it is but it is definitely quality.

Maybe my expectations were a bit high going in but in some ways I think I just wasted some cash on that button. This is another reason why I tend to not buy products sight unseen.

I am kind of ranting here but maybe somebody here knows more about this stuff than I do and can help me get more utility out of it or possibly recommend a different product (or possibly tell me I am wrong and why).

Here are a few of the things that I am finding somewhat annoying/off putting. The thing is plastic, ok, fair enough. I can live with that. However the design of it it's thick and sits high on top of the rail. It's somewhat not ergonomic at all for my grip/hand size. With my size hands and whatnot it isn't very comfortable at all and kind of a pain in the ass to activate. The button itself is recessed a bit. I understand why they did that. I assume so there is less risk of a negligent light discharge or whatever for people where that matters. That said you have to basically use the tip of your finger (or thumb) to push it down far enough to activate it. In my opinion the housing around it is too thick and the button is recessed a bit too much and the rubber that they used might be durable but it seems to me to make it more difficult to actually activate the light. Plus the internal switch to me is finicky. If you rest the meaty part of your thumb on the button and squeeze...it won't activate. You have to use the tip of your thumb to find that internal button and hit that instead.

Keep in mind I am coming from a Arisaka momentary tail cap. I can say with confidence that has zero issues at all. I guess I am somewhat spoiled. The modbutton lite that I bought is not very easy to activate. If your thumb is off center even a little bit it won't activate. The rubber button basically covers a small internal button where if you are not right on top of that spot where you can pinch down hard (much harder than the Arisaka tail cap) and use the tip of your thumb to do it it won't activate. This also makes it much harder to hold down if you need continuous light.

With the Arisaka tail cap you can comfortably press the button and hold it as long as is needed (or you can twist it for a constant on). Those two products in my view are not even close to being in the same league. I kind of think in ways the thing I bought wasn't ready for prime time through both design and materials both.

At this point after playing with the modbutton lite for a few days I went back to my Arisaka tail cap. I will think about it more and try to figure out other options. I might put it back on later and try again. Who knows. It might grow on me...but so far I am not that impressed. The overall concept is awesome. That's what attracted me to start with. I am finding though that I might need to figure out how to mount it at the 10:30 position offset to work better for me.

(Side note: Both of my thumbs have had injuries among the many other body parts that required surgery to fix so right now my thumb is aching. Having to use that force in kind of a somewhat awkward angle actually causes pain especially if I do it for a long time)
    Last edited by alamo5000; 9 December 2020 at 23:57.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is what is wrong with my thumbs (for those that are wondering).

http://www.skiingforever.com/skiers-thumb/

The first time I injured them I was using strapless ski poles (the kind that wrap around the back of your hand) and when I fell my natural reaction was to try and put my hands out to break my fall. Well those poles rolled my thumbs backwards until they were touching my forearm. Needless to say it wasn't comfortable when it happened.

If I can figure out a mount (sort of like the Arisaka Scout light mount) that is low profile and sits at 45 degrees this button would probably work a lot better for me. If you know of anything like that I might give it a try (maybe).

Right now I am a little frustrated so I am going to set it aside for the time being and re-examine it later.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unity Hot Button blows the Modlite offerings away. Modbutton is just another tape switch with a better mount and all the shortcomings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Unity Hot Button blows the Modlite offerings away. Modbutton is just another tape switch with a better mount and all the shortcomings.
    I was sort of thinking it would be better (based on the pictures) now. Hindsight is 20/20 right?

If I try one of those out though I still might like to have it at 45 degrees... which my handguard does not have 45 degree mlok slots. I will look at it more later on and see if I could figure something out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have both the Unity and I will say I was underwhelmed by the modlite button as well. The recessed button itself is good, but all that plastic is bulky......and well it’s plastic. I don’t think it will last long for work. I move my PEQ back a bit closer to receiver on shorties so that I can maintain my usual grip, and the button was interfering with my laser some. As Sinner stated the Unity hot button is a better product. I am waiting for the dual lead version which as with anything from Unity will most likely be some time before it surfaces.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    I have both the Unity and I will say I was underwhelmed by the modlite button as well. The recessed button itself is good, but all that plastic is bulky......and well it’s plastic. I don’t think it will last long for work. I move my PEQ back a bit closer to receiver on shorties so that I can maintain my usual grip, and the button was interfering with my laser some. As Sinner stated the Unity hot button is a better product. I am waiting for the dual lead version which as with anything from Unity will most likely be some time before it surfaces.
    Thanks for that. It's nice to know that I am not the only one. I read/watched a number of reviews on it before I bought it and they were all good. For me though I am setting it aside for a later date to give it a fresh look. The first few days however were not what I would have hoped.

The concept and all that is great, but there are a number of details about the specific product are giving me more doubts than I had a week ago.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you'll see a theme here... the Modlite button is decent, better than the Surefire, but nothing holds a candle to the Unity. Unity Tactical makes some great stuff, but it's hard to find in stock, which is why you end up with the Modlite button. I have 4 myself, and they work. In the end if this is a hard use/serious gun, make sure you have the cap that accommodates the switch and a push button. If the the switch or button fails, you need a way to still turn your light on.