Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are considering keeping this optic for a long time then you want something pretty top end with a really good warranty. Trijicon and Aimpoint are both really good options here.

The RMR is light, "just works" and can take a beating.

T1's and T2's (2moa) are very fine, precision optics. Both are really good at what they do, both are super tough as well.

I would wait until the MCO comes out and people get time on guns with it, especially before you make any decisions.

I ran the piss out of an H1 (4moa) - http://www.vdmsr.com/2012/12/aimpoin...larue-751.html - and it worked really well, you could probably get one fairly cheap, used, if you wanted to.

I would consider a pairing with a magnifier (I'd had great success with the 3.5x from SamsonMFG, but there are others that are really good).

Bobro for mounts - they are simply the best, period, and they warranty everything.

How quickly do you need it?

I just finished a review of the Vortex Sparc II (http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/08/vortex-...-sparc-ii.html) and if you want to give that a try to see what a good RDS with a bunch of features feels like, I'll send it to you, no charge, return when you're done with it.

edit; just to add - Maybe a quality 1-4x is what you really want for a 100y gun. Obviously there are tons of these out there, but they hold their value on the resale market (buy used, sell used) and you could jump around with features - would be total cost of RDS + magnifier + mounts = quality 1-4x with a mount. Again, Trijicon makes a great optic that works well (Accupower) and you don't need a magnifier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're getting a compatible optic (T1/2, H1/2, or a PA MD-ADS) you should consider a Scalarworks mount. They're fantastic.

I have one with a lower 1/3 co-witness (my preference), and I'll be using them in future builds with compatible optics.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    If you are considering keeping this optic for a long time then you want something pretty top end with a really good warranty. Trijicon and Aimpoint are both really good options here.

The RMR is light, "just works" and can take a beating.

T1's and T2's (2moa) are very fine, precision optics. Both are really good at what they do, both are super tough as well.

I would wait until the MCO comes out and people get time on guns with it, especially before you make any decisions.

I ran the piss out of an H1 (4moa) - http://www.vdmsr.com/2012/12/aimpoin...larue-751.html - and it worked really well, you could probably get one fairly cheap, used, if you wanted to.

I would consider a pairing with a magnifier (I'd had great success with the 3.5x from SamsonMFG, but there are others that are really good).

Bobro for mounts - they are simply the best, period, and they warranty everything.

I just finished a review of the Vortex Sparc II (http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/08/vortex-...-sparc-ii.html) and if you want to give that a try to see what a good RDS with a bunch of features feels like, I'll send it to you, no charge, return when you're done with it.

edit; just to add - Maybe a quality 1-4x is what you really want for a 100y gun. Obviously there are tons of these out there, but they hold their value on the resale market (buy used, sell used) and you could jump around with features - would be total cost of RDS + magnifier + mounts = quality 1-4x with a mount. Again, Trijicon makes a great optic that works well (Accupower) and you don't need a magnifier.
    Link to this "MCO"?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    Link to this "MCO"?
    I think he meant MRO.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I like your parts list except I don't understand why you selected the CMT receivers when you also state "I don't see any reason to over pay for something that honestly won't be (for me) anything more than just bragging rights." IMO, billet adds cost w/o increasing functionality. )
    That is just a personal preference thing for me. I have a CMT set and I really like it so I say if it ain't broke... I have given the thought to using a forged set (maybe Aero?). Its not like I don't enjoy shooting whatever but for something like this I want it to be something I continue to enjoy. Yes they are tools, but at the same time this is a hobby for me. I want something that when I pick it up I go 'yes!'.

Later on up the road I might get into building truck guns or whatever. On my current rifle I really enjoy shooting it and I think part of that satisfaction comes from thinking through what I wanted and using top notch stuff.

Honestly I have no real time frame. It's not like I am up against some deadline especially considering this is another 'fun gun'. I do have several irons in the fire so to speak so honestly I don't know when I will actually have the finished product in hand. I am planning an extended trip overseas and have no idea what will happen with that... What I might do is before I go, go ahead and get the reciever set including getting it engraved, pay the tax stamp etc and then finish it up after I come back. If it wasn't for my planned trip (and saving for that) I would be in the category of 'extremely close'.

That said I would love to have the chance to try out a quality red dot. An hour of trying one out is better than a week of discussing it I see the discussion as very productive as to getting me in the right ball park and maybe narrowing it down to a couple of options that I need to really try to see if I like them.

Long story short though I have almost no real experience running red dots so having a good one to learn on would be extremely valuable.

edit; just to add - Maybe a quality 1-4x is what you really want for a 100y gun.
    For this one I am sticking with a 1x. I have a variable power optic on my rifle now that I am learning quite a bit from. I enjoy it.

I more or less said '100 yards and in'... which realistically doesn't mean 100 yards for this particular gun. The concept is to have a different style of gun that has a dedicated purpose and thought process behind it.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 13 September 2015 at 12:27.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes sir. That is definitely the idea. It's not like 2 or 3 years from now I won't be buying more stuff, but I do want to take my time and get something that fits my purpose (and wants).

I don't know about other people but for me I gain satisfaction from the process of building a gun as well as just owning and using it.

At the end of the day I might have 2 or 3 solid options that I narrow it down to... and then after that I can just pick which one I personally think has the better feel.

If money was no object that is one thing... but even if I had endless cash I would still want to learn.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alamo I've using an SRS02 for sometime now and love mine. The only complaint I have about mine is that you will get a reflection of the emitter if you point it directly into extremely bright light, but the light it takes to get that reflection is so bright that I can't see to aim looking into it. The reason I like the SRS so much is the FOV is incredible, that's its biggest strength. My other RDS's are just as good till I'm shooting around barricades or transitioning from strong to weak side, this is where the SRS shines. But different RDS's work different for each individual, most of my friends swear by their Aimpoint Micros. I like my Micro but prefer my SRS because I'm quicker with it.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I think he meant MRO.
    Yeah thats it

Downloads
    Uploads
    CMT makes awesome receivers! If that's what turns you on bro use it

Downloads
    Uploads
    I might have missed it.

What barrel length?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I might have missed it.

What barrel length?
    I am leaning 12.5 but I am debating 11.5. One or the other.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I am leaning 12.5 but I am debating 11.5. One or the other.
    100y and in?

You'd probably do fine with a DD 10.3, or a LMT 10.5. Unless you wanna get into the piston game I wouldn't go any shorter than that with DI.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's also 10.5 WOA barrels out there.....and you'll do better than minute of man at 100....much better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    100y and in?

You'd probably do fine with a DD 10.3, or a LMT 10.5. Unless you wanna get into the piston game I wouldn't go any shorter than that with DI.
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    There's also 10.5 WOA barrels out there.....and you'll do better than minute of man at 100....much better.

I am a serious sucker for accuracy. In a very big way.

Based on my research if given the right optics or whatever I should probably be able to hit at 400 yards with a 12.5 gun.

That said my concept will most likely be to create a load running 65 grain Seirra SBT or some other similar type of hunting load then fine tune it from there. The primary objective though will be a lot more up close... which is part of the reason I am debating going 11.5. Again though, I don't know if it will make that much difference.

10.5 is a consideration though. For sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I could redo my sbr/pistol uppers I would certainly have a BCM 11.5 elw-f with KMR somewhere in the mix. My BCM 11.5 BFH barrel is probably one of the stoutest barrels I own.