Downloads
    Uploads

which of these do u reccommend for first ccw

hello iv been looking at some pistoles and doing some research but i just cant makeup my mind,i was hopeing that some of you guys could tell me which of these u would buy for ur first concealed carry pistol,kahr pm9, s&w bodygaurd .380, lcp9 in.380, or kel-tec pf-9 in .9mm all good pistols iv heard or read. i was looking at the s&w bodygaurd and lcp-9 in 380 i like both im leaning toward the bodygaurd but then theres the kahr pm9 and kel-tec pf-9 in 9mm i watched a few videos and some reveiws on all of these but id still like to get some more input on each from everyone please give it a 1-10 rateing and why u decided to give your rateing.

from
    vinnie

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ruger LC9 in 9x19mm (There is no such thing as an LCP-9. There is an LCP in .380ACP, and there is the LC9 is 9x19mm.)
    All I ever saw from these was excellent performance. For their intended role, 10/10.

If you want a revolver, which has some positives, the Ruger LCR in .38Spl is a great choice. For its intended role, 10/10.

For a .380ACP, I'd recommend a SIG-Sauer P238. Get the one with the cheapest options, the higher prices ones of the same model are just for cosmetics. These little guys are unstoppable. For its intended role, 9/10, only because I'd prefer a double action trigger for a "pocket pistol". It's a minor detraction.

I wouldn't get a S&W Bodyguard... the .380ACP model had a lot of problems early on. The .38Spl model is, in my opinion, not as nice as the Ruger LCR. Both S&W Bodyguard models get about a 7-8/10 from me... they're functional now, but just not as good as a Ruger in my opinion.

I would not buy a Kel-Tec. There are too many good pistols for very little more. Kel-Tec is garbage in the same category as Taurus. They get a 4/10 as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, your grammar is awful.
    Last edited by lamarbrog; 4 December 2011 at 17:45.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If there is a range near you that rents firearms, go there and rent a couple in the same caliber at a time and whatever "YOU" feel comfortable shooting is the one you should get.
    Is this your first firearm? If so I'd pick a revolver because of the simple operation, then buy a auto to practice with before you start carrying it.

But whatever you decide to get, practice, practice and practice some more, get some formal training, most CCW instructors also hold other classes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In many cases, I disagree with the 'revolvers are the simplest' generality. Most people shoot small semiauto pistols better than small revolvers, reloading and clearing a weapon is simpler with the semi, and cleaning is on par. Both are relatively simple, so I wouldn't decide based on the operating system - decide on what shoots best, then work out how to conceal it after you've gotten formal training on it. Then practice away - patience and slow repetitions being the most valuable tool for that.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good points above. The best being go to a range. Shoot several guns. Get a feel for recoil, recoil management, and firearm frame sizes. A great many people want small 380's or small 9 mm's because they feel they'll be easy to conceal and rightfully so. But people overlook the other considerations with CCW such as stopping power, magazine capacity, reload ability, extra ammo carry, and most of all how well you can shoot the firearm.

I have 2 CCW guns. One is a bobtailed 1911 with 4" slide chambered in 45 ACP. The other is a HK P30 chambered in 40 SW. With the right holster I could even make a full size 1911 disappear in a t-shirt. I'm tall but slim, 6'2" and 195 lbs so it isn't my shear size that allows for conceal ability. Both of the weapons are also larger frames compared to what you mention above. They're easy to shoot and comfortable enough that I don't mind practicing with them to where I'm not concerned with recoil.

Overall, you really need to shoot a few different firearms and understand what is most important to you in a CCW. As you learn more you'll be able to make a much more informed purchase and better be able to protect yourself.
    Hatter

Took a little hiatus... good to be back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its hard to beat a Glock 19 for CCW. That said, I would try and find a place to rent various pistols and more importantly seek out some training so that you are prepared God forbid you ever have to employ your weapon. Software is just as important as hardware and often times more important. Good luck in your search...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any reason why the Glock 19 or even the 26 aren't on your list? The Glock 19 is generally considered to be the best of the do everything pistols, including CCW. I've used one as my primary offduty weapon for well over a decade.

The G19 along with the new Praetor Defense holster is perfection in my book.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Glock 19 & 26 are at the top of my list for proven reliability in a decent caliber. The S&W M&P Compact 9mm looks promising and is something I need to further look into myself. For the most part, I'm not much of a .380 fan.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In over 11-years of teaching basic pistol courses I have found that most beginners of any gender take a liking to and perform well with Glock 19s. If you like the feel of this pistol, you cannot go wrong with its selection. That being said, if you do not plan on practicing on a regular basis, I would go with a revolver. The biggest con for a semi-automatic pistol is the fact that they can and will malfunction for various reasons. The chances of a revolver having a malfunction is pretty slim. Good luck!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just saw this thread, bought me a new gun for concealed carry (got my license a couple of weeks ago). I had a Glock 23, great gun, no issues, just wanted something a little smaller. I borrowed a Ruger LCP, zero issues with it firing, love the size, but hate the trigger. And just in my personal opinion, I want a 9mm or bigger caliber for SD. Note, that is just my personal preference, I am not volunteering to be shot by a .25 or .380!

I like the Ruger LC9, but did not like the trigger. And yes, I understand why they have the trigger pull like it is. Everyone has there own preference on guns. I bought a S&W M&P 9C. Am very happy with it, need to shoot it more before I really carry it, and am looking into which holster I will buy.

I like the trigger on the S&W, it has 3 backstraps for different hand sizes, traditional 3 dot sights, 12+1 capacity. I shot 48 rounds as fast as I could get it back on target, and at 12', I had a grouping of 6.5". Not bad for an average shooter with a semi compact gun. I like the safety, keeps my grip position similar to my 1911.

I think the S&W is worth a look, if your local store stocks them. The LCP and LC9 are awesome as far as size. The best gun is the one you have on you! So, shop around!! And don't go cheap on your holster or belt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think a Glock 19 (or comparable M&P/XD if you prefer) are excellent choices for CC. They are easy to conceal and have lots of holster options, as well as having better ballistics than .380.

If you are set on a .380, like a previous poster said, the Sig P238/Colt Mustang is an excellent option. Having owned the P3AT, LCP, and Bersa Thunder, my P238 beats all of them handsdown imho.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would not consider a 380.
    Nothing less than a 9mm.
    This past Saturday, I held what I consider to be the perfect CC pistol.
    Glock 36. Single stack 45. 6+1.
    I currently carry a Gen4 G26 in a Remora or a White Hat Max Tuck.
    With a Wilderness 5 stitch belt.
    Very easy to conceal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with the idea of renting some range guns to get an idea of what you like.
    You have not stated how you plan on carrying your gun which is something that needs to be addressed. Never ever carry without a holster and the better the holster the better off you are.
    I am in the group that wouldnt carry anything under a 9mm or 38special regarding cartridge power. I personnally carry a Smith & Wesson M&P compact 40. with external safety and it has been flawless in all regards. Training cant be emphasized enough and countless draws and dry fires need to be practiced. I like the Kahr pm9 and Smith & Wesson j frames as a couple of alternatives (There are many) however the Kahr like Glocks dont have the stiffer trigger pull of the J frame revolver and there has been negligent discharges with Glocks for example due to no or worn out holsters or things like clothing getting in the trigger guard. This is why I prefer the thumb safety option on the M&P. As a new CCW holder you do need to know the upside and downsides of any option. Reliability is a number one concern but you have to be able to and willing to carry the gun with you or it does no good, so take into consideration the weight and size and how you plan to carry the weapon.
    These are just my opinions and I have not gone into the greatest detail.
    Ask a lot of questions, train often, always carry when you can, and be safe.