Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol Red Dots

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not intimately familiar with how their product works, but have you looked at Agency Arms at all?

They do slide work specifically for an RMR. How permanent it is, I'm not sure. I do know that if you don't want to mount an RMR right away, a plate cover is placed to fill the void where the RMR would sit.

That would definitely help cut down on the bulk/size, compared to the ALG 6-second mount.

Only downside is that their work is only for Glocks (at least at this present time).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fortunately I favor the Glock grip profile to other plastic guns.

I considdered the plate mounting system that aftermarket companies do, but I don't know how stable those platforms are. They might be perfectly fine, but I've never really seen or heary anything positive or negative about those options.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So schambers, any more thoughts on the 6 second mount?

Considering trying one out for a range toy as I don't like the idea of paying for a milled slide for an RMR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whether you are a fan of the ALG mount or the milled slide variation there is some good info in this vid from Sage Dynamics. I can't say that I agree with the whole placement of the BUIS, but the rest of it I learned the hard way before I saw this video.

http://youtu.be/zrrlxEwUaRM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    So schambers, any more thoughts on the 6 second mount?

Considering trying one out for a range toy as I don't like the idea of paying for a milled slide for an RMR.
    I'm still a little faster with iron-sights when drawing from a holster. When I say that, I mean very slightly faster, probably somewhere between .5 to 1 second of difference on average.

I would say that its significantly easier to move and keep a the pistol on target with the ALG mount (and I assume this applies to all pistol red dot configurations), compared to irons... especially inside shoot houses and my home.

When you have a loaded magazine in the Glock, the weight balance is Ok. Not ideal but it won't induce fatigue either. A G17 set up with a T-1, Surefire and a full magazine is noticeably beefy though.

I got the opportunity to try an M&P CORE with an RMR and for me, it was easier to come back on target with my ALG setup. I think Its because the optic doesn't reciprocate. The weight balance on the M&P was a bit nicer to hold, but the front-heavy nature of the ALG helps with muzzle flip.

As I don't have any major plans for the G17, I'm going to keep the ALG on it, and keep practicing. My wife likes it as well so it will be the primary home defense gun for now. As a side note, I like being able to keep the T-1 in the "on" position all the time, and not having to be overly concerned with battery drain.

I'm still not sure if I'm completely sold on the overall idea of having a optic permanently mounted on a pistol. I'm definitely not going to go out and get my carry gun, or get the G17 milled out for an RMR. I think I might have said this in an earlier post, but the RMR/pistol combinations are still a little to unproven for me to feel comfortable carrying.

I would say that if you have an aimpoint lying around, then you might want to give it a shot. But if you feel like you are already going to commit to getting a slide dedicated to a red dot, it would probably be cheaper in the long run to go all-in and do a more permanent modification.

*edit* I would be curious to see if someone comes out with an ALG-style mount for the G19, that mounts an RMR