Thread: CMT BCG

Downloads
    Uploads

CMT BCG

Since I typically fawn all over CMT stuff and usually because folks here generally have educated opinions, I figured I would ask about this.

https://www.cmttac.com/AR15%20BCG-M1...L%20SPEC%20BCG

CMT has their own branded BCG, but I don't know anything at all about it. If it's anywhere near the quality of other CMT stuff it will be excellent. That said I know for sure that these BCGs in specific are made by a third party. Who that third party is I don't know and probably will never know.

I kind of figure if CMT puts their stamp on it, they wouldn't risk that on a piece of junk.

Long story short, does anyone have any experience with these BCGs from CMT?

They've been out of stock for a while now but they could come back in stock any day now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got 3 of them. 2 Phosphate, and 1 NiB.

They work, 9310 Bolts instead of C158.

CMT doesn't make them, and I'm not sure who does, but CMT stands by their products. I think I posted some pictures last year on the new products section when they came out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    They work, 9310 Bolts instead of C158.
    Teach me something here. What's the big difference between those two? I think my Rainier one is 'carpenter steel'.

EDIT: My current BCG is C158

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-bcg-phosphate

I still don't really know what kind of major difference that is but maybe somebody knows.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 4 August 2015 at 21:23.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did some google and found some discussion threads from 'that other site'.

That gave me a basic idea.

Any strong opinions one way or another on the matter?

Like I said though, I am highly confident in CMT. They don't play around. That said it doesn't seem like there is any reason not to get at least one of these, if not more. Well except that they are out of stock. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used both 9310 and C158 and have had good luck with both, but I don't shoot as much as some. I've only shot about 1,500 rounds total this year, so I wouldn't say I've put either through a torture test. Some say that 9310 is cheaper and stronger than C158, and every now and then you'll hear of a report of C158 bolts that didn't receive the proper heat treatment. JP is one of the first I remember using 9310 for their bolts.

http://jprifles.com/1.4.7_Bolt.php

The Azimuth BCG's being used by Fathom, Hodge, Erathr3 and Ranger Proof have 9310 bolts.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I did some google and found some discussion threads from 'that other site'.

That gave me a basic idea.

Any strong opinions one way or another on the matter?

Like I said though, I am highly confident in CMT. They don't play around. That said it doesn't seem like there is any reason not to get at least one of these, if not more. Well except that they are out of stock. :)
    C158 is 4-5x more expensive than 9310 and is only available in large quantities, so smaller outfits like using 9310. Both are excellent material. 9310 has a small amount of molybdenum, 158 does not. 158 has a little more chrome than 9310. I believe the biggest difference is that 9310 is harder to heat treat and if not done correctly is more prone to breakage. RA had a batch last year of improperly treated 9310 bolts and they all broke within 500 rounds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So if they are heat treated right then they are good to go.

Otherwise it might be wise to pony up for the C158?

Is it something that is really common or just 'if this ever happens'?

I wouldn't mind getting another RA one like the one I have, mainly because it's good and I know it.

At the end of the day though I will get a good BCG as a spare. I will just buy the whole thing just in case. I don't have any real particular needs other than it has to be good stuff.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 5 August 2015 at 18:29.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    So if they are heat treated right then they are good to go.

Otherwise it might be wise to pony up for the C158?

Is it something that is really common or just 'if this ever happens'?

I wouldn't mind getting another RA one like the one I have, mainly because it's good and I know it.

At the end of the day though I will get a good BCG as a spare. I will just buy the whole thing just in case. I don't have any real particular needs other than it has to be good stuff.
    A properly heat treated 9310 will run fine. Just buy it from a reputable manufacturer. I try not over think bolts, just go with the usual reliable sources.

Knowing how inquisitive you are, go do some searching for Aermet 100, also from Carpenter Technologies. 3x the price of C158.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Knowing how inquisitive you are, go do some searching for Aermet 100, also from Carpenter Technologies. 3x the price of C158.
    that reminds me of this....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Knowing how inquisitive you are
    WHO??? MEEEE!!!!???

BWAAHAAHAAA!!!

A properly heat treated 9310 will run fine. Just buy it from a reputable manufacturer. I try not over think bolts, just go with the usual reliable sources.

Yeah, I think sometimes 'over thinking' can cause problems... don't ask me how I know that.

That said sometimes I think AR components manufacturers are my evil nemesis. They encourage over thinking.

I am trying to keep an open mind to new things that I might not be all that familiar with but also balancing all that out with reality.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Over thinking is cool, it encourages proper installation of components.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Over thinking is cool, it encourages proper installation of components.
    At least I try to read the instructions :)