Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    any more feedback on the fortis switch rail from anyone? trying to decide between this and the geissele MK8 M-LOK 13" rail

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ducrider14 View Post
    any more feedback on the fortis switch rail from anyone? trying to decide between this and the geissele MK8 M-LOK 13" rail
    Both are nice! MK8 is an awesome feeling rail. The biggest thing I like about the switch is the ability to remove it for cleaning. They have the switch 2.0 in MLOK now as well!

Downloads
    Uploads
    MK8 is a rock solid tank. Fortis switch is light and slim. They're very different rails, so I recommend figuring out what's important to you.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks, not really sure which way I am gonna go yet, i will have to check out the switch mlok, might do a lightweight build as this is gonna be around a proof research ar barrel, but i really like those geissele rails

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    MK8 is a rock solid tank. Fortis switch is light and slim. They're very different rails, so I recommend figuring out what's important to you.
    +1... These 2 handguards are very different, the MK8 has more girth. I've been using a MK4 for awhile and it's been very good, but if you're wanting a slim handguard I'd go with the Fortis.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    so I got a 12" fortis switch rail and the locking mechanism wouldn't lock the arm in place, it would just not latch at all, so rainier arms said send it back and they would give me a refund, my question is for the guys that have tried one is should I just have it replaced and try another one out, how did you think the locking mechanism is going to hold up, does it feel solid, or should

i just get a bcm kmr and be done with it, its a shame cause I really like the looks of the switch rail

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ducrider14 View Post
    so I got a 12" fortis switch rail and the locking mechanism wouldn't lock the arm in place, it would just not latch at all, so rainier arms said send it back and they would give me a refund, my question is for the guys that have tried one is should I just have it replaced and try another one out, how did you think the locking mechanism is going to hold up, does it feel solid, or should

i just get a bcm kmr and be done with it, its a shame cause I really like the looks of the switch rail
    I have around 4 SWITCH Handguards, and I haven't run into an issue with the locking mechanism. They are pretty stiff when they are new.

If you're sure you installed it correctly, it might have been out of spec, and you could always try another one. Mistakes do happen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I have around 4 SWITCH Handguards, and I haven't run into an issue with the locking mechanism. They are pretty stiff when they are new.

If you're sure you installed it correctly, it might have been out of spec, and you could always try another one. Mistakes do happen.
    it was correct, for some reason it just wouldn't stay latched, i sent a video of it to rainier arms, how do you like your switch rails?, any experience with the bcm kmr, any comparisons? might just get another switch as I really like it, no worries if it was just one that didn't work, i don't get to worked up about those things, way more important things to get upset about

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the most part, I really like the SWITCH Rails. Looks like that SWITCH of yours definitely has an issue if it's unlatching on its own. Everyone puts out a dud from time to time, but so far I've had good experiences with all my Fortis products.

However, I think they need to address 2 key elements on the SWITCH, which IMHO make them much better than they are.

First they need to make one with an internal diameter large enough to accommodate a suppressor.

Second, they need to make the "sleeves" available separately for purchase, which they haven't done yet. This was one of the bigger selling points when they originally designed it. If you could have several extra handguard sleeves to pop in and off, you could have them set up for different lengths, setups that were mission/range specific to you. This was going to appeal to people who did not want to buy or could afford multiple uppers/rifles.

Other than ease of installation, I think the SWITCH portion of the handguard isn't being used to its potential. If you have no need for the SWITCH portion, I'd just get a REV II, very similar feel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could live with them not selling the sleeves solo if they would fit over a can. In their current state it's a pointless feature.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I could live with them not selling the sleeves solo if they would fit over a can. In their current state it's a pointless feature.
    Well that's because you can afford as many uppers as you want.

But yeah, when I first saw the prototype, I was like, this isn't big enough to fit a can... you're going to lose a big portion of your target audience.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Well that's because you can afford as many uppers as you want.

But yeah, when I first saw the prototype, I was like, this isn't big enough to fit a can... you're going to lose a big portion of your target audience.
    Can you ever afford everything you want? Lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    My AR's are all Adams Arms gas piston. I bought a Rev cut out for my 14.5 barrel rifle. I actually love it. Thinking Fortis was gas piston friendly, i bought a 14" Switch to go over my Adams Arms XLP gas piston setup on a Black Rain 16" with carbine length gas system. The barrel nut (sleeve) was too long so I went ahead and notched it to allow for adequate piston rod stop length. I attempted to slide the rail on and DOH! it does not clear my Adams Arms XLP gas block! Unbelievable. That's what I get for assuming and not trying the fit first.
    I thought the Switch would be perfect since the carbine length has the gas block so far inside the rail. I could just slide it off to clean the piston setup. I can't return the Switch because I modified the barrel nut. My other option is a Syrac piston setup which has a narrow gas block.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cdavid67 View Post
    My AR's are all Adams Arms gas piston. I bought a Rev cut out for my 14.5 barrel rifle. I actually love it. Thinking Fortis was gas piston friendly, i bought a 14" Switch to go over my Adams Arms XLP gas piston setup on a Black Rain 16" with carbine length gas system. The barrel nut (sleeve) was too long so I went ahead and notched it to allow for adequate piston rod stop length. I attempted to slide the rail on and DOH! it does not clear my Adams Arms XLP gas block! Unbelievable. That's what I get for assuming and not trying the fit first.
    I thought the Switch would be perfect since the carbine length has the gas block so far inside the rail. I could just slide it off to clean the piston setup. I can't return the Switch because I modified the barrel nut. My other option is a Syrac piston setup which has a narrow gas block.
    I've got an upper running a Syrac Piston. It's not perfect, but a perfect fit under standard handguards that don't fit traditional full size piston kits.